Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
clearing apps

I was reading on another thread of shifting problems, a mention of clearing the memory of the apps. (accelerator pedal position sensor) I never heard of this or any other procedure to clear codes. It occurs to me that I have removed my batteries several times and never experience any problems with memory or quality of performance. some claim improved performances with a reset.

I am sure someone here know much more than I do. any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Community Moderator

there are two types of memories, ram and rom ("random access memory" and "read only memory"). for former - when ecu starts which loads the programs for applications; once ecu is powered off, the programs will be washed away until next time ecu is powered which loads the programs again. for the latter, the programs will not disappear even ecu power is off, normally we refer those programs as firmware. in effect those are "borned" into the memory.

when you disconnect batteries, the ram data will be gone but not the data in rom. needless to say, if your pedal position sensor data is stored in rom, most likely is, don't worry about it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Allison transmission can get a memory. It's SUPPOSE to learn your driving habits over a period of time. I think what it learns is pretty subtle and many may never see the difference between one driver and another. I've heard that you can have the memory erased and so that it can learn the habits of the new driver. I'm guessing it would have to be done at a dealer.

I think the biggest difference would probably show up when one owner drove the motor home like a Nascar driver and another baby's it. You might see some issues in that situation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know if it clears any codes, resets accelerator to reflect full range of motion.

APPS reset procedure and discussion is here: Apps Reset - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let Engine sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return iignition switch to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake
Start and operate the engine normally.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote