Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

Cold weather starting

With cold weather here in Ohio already I would like your thoughts on when to turn on my block heather before starting my 2002 Cummins 350 HP. They are calling for 28 tonight and I have leave early in the morning to get my generator serviced.
Charlie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are hooked to shore power I would turn it on now.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie1022 View Post
With cold weather here in Ohio already I would like your thoughts on when to turn on my block heather before starting my 2002 Cummins 350 HP. They are calling for 28 tonight and I have leave early in the morning to get my generator serviced.
Like asked above.........shore power?? Turn it on and let it heat/keep the engine warm over night...............
Old 11-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

Over night is too much. Turn it on one hour before starting. Works for me every time.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is no such thing as "too much" with an engine block heater. I had an old MBZ 300D that was plugged in year 'round, all night. It didn't lead to any problems, and used very little energy. I say just use it all night and it will already be a little warm when you fire it up in the morning.

On the other hand, 28 is not too cold for a good diesel engine to start up cold.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #6

Is there a switch or do you just plug it in? I have plugged mine in, but I don't know if its doing anything?
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #7

On way to check what it is doing, is to turn on the ignition and check the temperature gauges.

Or, if you don't mind some flak - send the DW out around 4:30AM with a flashlight. Ask her to put her hand on the block to see if it's warm. But warning, if she is not real conscientious about your sound sleep - she may not warm her feet back up before getting under the sheets... And that, could really disturb your sleep...

(Above is advice from a man who is in Southern California. Where 'BREAKING NEWS' and 'STORM WATCH' takes over the news cycle with an 1/8th of an inch of rain, and when temperatures plummet to the mid 50's...

So, one, maybe two grain of salts!

Best to all, stay warm, and travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:50 AM   #8

Thanks for the advise to everyone. When parked at the house I am always plugged in to 50 amp shore power. All I have to do is throw the circuit breaker and it is on. I did power it up last night to make sure. Last year when I headed south for the winter we had a warm spell and I could not remember if I turned on the heater then.
Never thought I would say this but the older I get the less I like cold weather or at least this old body and all the repaired areas doesn't.
Charlie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would say if you have a coolant block heater then it should stay on at all times during colder months. I have heard that some oil pan heaters can cause condensation in oil.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
There is no such thing as "too much" with an engine block heater. I had an old MBZ 300D that was plugged in year 'round, all night. It didn't lead to any problems, and used very little energy. I say just use it all night and it will already be a little warm when you fire it up in the morning.

On the other hand, 28 is not too cold for a good diesel engine to start up cold.
No argument here. Leaving the heater on won't harm the motor. Guess I am a bit uneasy about it because everything that is manufactured will eventually fail. I personally never had any problem with temps in the single digits for several days. Turning the block heater on for a couple hours at those temps works for our coach. The only drawback is waiting for it to warm up.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have a Scan Gauge or Sliverleaf product, turn the key on and see what you coolant temp is, check it again in a few hours after you turned the block heater on.
Up here in PA I use to have a diesel pickup, I put it on a timer to come on 2 hours before I was leaving in the AM. Even with bad glow plugs it always started up.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Hum, you have an inlet air heater. Once the light goes out start the engine, high idle (1000 Rpm). It is not cold enough to worry- Think Alaska, Yukon, those places where they have electric outside for plug ins.

Does not hurt but really it is not needed.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good one Smitty77! That rule also applies to running garden hoses in So Cal. Being orginally from the south, Californian's don't know what real rain is like.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I guess it depends on how you define 'cold' IMHO, it's not COLD until 20 or below for hours on end.... not just for an hour.

I just turn my key to see the wait to start, the glow plugs heat up, and when the wait to start light goes out, I start !

Now, I also don't idle a long time... I've found it's better to do a nice easy drive off - for all parts, engine, tranny, and my neighbors...

Tags
cold weather