Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Convert From Exhaust Retarder to Engine Brake

I have a 2015 coach with a 380hp ISL9. It currently has an exhaust retarder. Is it possible to upgrade it to an engine brake? If so, any cost estimates?
Wego2gthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Not sure if the cylinder head would have to be replaced, rocker shafts and valve cover and lots of wiring, exhaust work for sure .

It would be costly if possible , and I don't recall any posts on the subject , so maybe asking at a Cummins shop would be the best bet.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Can be done but I would think 4 to 5K would be parts and labor. Join Cummins Power Club if you do and save 10% on parts and labor.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just went thru several mountain passes this spring/summer. My same engine retarder brake worked great. Only occasionally had to use the service brakes. Changing is NOT necessary.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Call Cummins,you will get one of two answers.

It can't be done or you will get a price that will convince you that your current retarder works just fine
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yours must work better than mine! In the past 3 years I’ve driven in every state west of the Mississippi as well as parts of BC and Alberta. I’m headed to Gaffbey, SC to get service work done and brakes adjusted/worked on. I manually downshift before going downhill and still have to use service brakes a lot. After driving Hwy 12 in Utah from Bryce Canyon to Torrey Utah you could smell my brakes. Buddy following in his rig said he thought he saw smoke. Something ain’t right!
Wego2gthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #7

If brakes are smelling and smoking you are not in a low enough gear with retarder on. You must be in a low enough gear so you don't have to use your brakes for the most part. I have come down many mountains in my Peterbuilt with 80,000 Lbs. on and not had to touch brakes. Admitted I am a chicken about overheating brakes but I won't be the rig in the run out lane.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wego2gthr View Post
Something ain’t right!
It sounds like it may not be working. Are you able to manually move the butterfly valve? Has it been lubricated?

You can open the engine access, drive it and have someone watch to see if the butterfly closes, that is the easiest way to see. Don't do it on dirt, it will be everywhere.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

I have an ISC engine with exhaust brake. It didn't seem to be providing enough retard, so I began looking for a problem; I FOUND IT! Exhaust manifold was broken completely in two right below the turbo @ $4 port. $3,100 later the exhaust brake works great again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
It sounds like it may not be working. Are you able to manually move the butterfly valve? Has it been lubricated?

You can open the engine access, drive it and have someone watch to see if the butterfly closes, that is the easiest way to see. Don't do it on dirt, it will be everywhere.
I have and exhaust brake on my 400 ISL and it works great. In fact at low speeds I have to turn it off or it drives you crazy down shifting. Sounds to me like you have one of two problems. 1. The ECM or TCM is not programed correctly. 2. The butterfly isn't actuating. The 2nd could be for a number of reason. I agree with hypoxia. That's a good place to start.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #11

Another vote of it must not be working properly. I drove over the Big horns this summer and went down a 10 mile 10% grade. My exhaust brake did a great job of helping manage speed. I used the service brakes in the proper manner when needed and if my decent speed was lower I really would not have needed them much at all. As it was, the service brake usage was minimal.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #12

The ex brake on our 8.9 ISL in our Phaeton was marginal at best. We live in the west. I talked to a friend that works at Cummins and he said it could be converted to engine brake, but we have since sold it. I was also going to have it bumped from 380/1050 to 450/1250.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

See the provided chart and look at page 3. I believe your in luck according to the chart and engine model numbers

https://parts.jacobsvehiclesystems.c...-Guide-Cum.pdf

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine, exhaust