RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Coolant filter and DCA

Trying to change my coolant filter on our ISC and the manual has about 5 different ones depending on the amount of DCA. Since we purchased it used I have no idea how much was added. There are test strips to check it but is there a less complicated way? I wonder if I can just go with whatever filter is on there.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
On my older vintage 8.3L Cummins, I use a 4 units type DCA filter. That seems to keep the DCA constant between filter changes once per year and 5,000 miles of travel.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
On my older vintage 8.3L Cummins, I use a 4 units type DCA filter. That seems to keep the DCA constant between filter changes once per year and 5,000 miles of travel.
Thanks Dean. The guy I talked to at our local Cummins said "this is a common one" meaning the part number for a 4 units. I would guess any new one is better than the old.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Also, I buy my stuff at Filterbarn.com. If you buy $100 worth at a time, the shipping is free. It seems the cost per filter is as low as 60% of prices at other sources.

A full set of filters, 2 fuel, 1 oil, 1 coolant, genset fuel, oil, air, and the occasional engine air filter can get close to $100.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I use d the filter strips and had good results. The directions sound complicated but a timer makes it fairly easy ( and a wife who has lab time experience) colors are easy to spot.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Trying to change my coolant filter on our ISC and the manual has about 5 different ones depending on the amount of DCA. Since we purchased it used I have no idea how much was added. There are test strips to check it but is there a less complicated way? I wonder if I can just go with whatever filter is on there.
No, you cannot use just any filter. The coolant filters are sized according to cooling system volume. The filters are required to replace the maintenance dose your engine will need during a Cummins specified service interval. If you total system capacity is no more than 12 gallons, use a 4 unit filter (Fleetguard WF2071). If your system is much less than 12, you can still use the WF2071 but the change interval will be much longer. Cummins/Fleetguard sized that filter to achieve 25,000 miles of engine operation.

I suspect you would rather have it simpler than this. You can install a WF2123 synthetic media coolant filter (0, zero units). This filter can be left on the engine for 3 years. With this filter use Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT or Shell Ultra OAT coolants. Both of these coolants utilize a combination of organic acid corrosion inhibitors that will protect the engine against cylinder liner cavitation.

Sounds like you do not know how the former owner took care of the system. What filter did you find on it when you bought it? Do you know what coolant it has (had)? Likely you only know the color unless the former owner knew. Has the coolant ever been changed?

Test strips like Fleetguard CC2602B will tell you how much DCA is in the system now. No, there is no simpler method. You can get the coolant analyzed by Polaris Laboratories
Coolant Analysis: Cooling System Maintenance, Cooling System Troubleshooting

The coolant analysis report will tell you much more about the coolant but will also cost more than a test strip or two. If you are uncomfortable with testing, just dump the old coolant and start with new.

Please do not take me wrong, but maintaining a diesel engine is not like working on your car or pickup. You can also take it to a truck shop to have the coolant changed although changing is not that difficult. See No. 6 on this post how to property change anti freeze
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BTW: you do NOT want cavitation on the cyl liner!
Here's a picture that Gary posted at one time showing it. The pitting goes all the way through and requires new liners and maybe a rebuild if not caught and fixed in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavitation pitted liner.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	44236  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Trying to change my coolant filter on our ISC is there a less complicated way?
Simplest way is to get rid of the DCA's altogether. Requires a non-DCA filter available most any place and the "forever" coolant. Sorry I do not recall the name but this has been discussed many times here on iRV2 and has a couple of mfgs....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks everyone for this valuable knowledge. After reading this and a little thinking I figure not knowing the past history of the coolant it might be best to take it to a diesel shop and have them flush and fill it with the OAT coolant and install a new filter. I am sure it is something I could do but I just do not feel like it. Just got finished changing the (engine) oil and and started the generator for its monthly run. It quit see the update to this Onan Diesel generator problem I still have the fuel filters to do and a couple other things before we snowbird off for the winter. So not wanting to have another bunch of liquid to deal with I am calling uncle and paying someone.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks everyone for this valuable knowledge. After reading this and a little thinking I figure not knowing the past history of the coolant it might be best to take it to a diesel shop and have them flush and fill it with the OAT coolant and install a new filter. I am sure it is something I could do but I just do not feel like it. Just got finished changing the (engine) oil and and started the generator for its monthly run. It quit see the update to this Onan Diesel generator problem I still have the fuel filters to do and a couple other things before we snowbird off for the winter. So not wanting to have another bunch of liquid to deal with I am calling uncle and paying someone.
If you're going with OAT, here is whet you should request:

http://www.fleetguard.com/html/en/pr...pleat/oat.html

I just changed mine out with advice from Spike45. I did not use the OAT product but the standard ES Compleat.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you're going with OAT, here is whet you should request:

ES Compleat? OAT

I just changed mine out with advice from Spike45. I did not use the OAT product but the standard ES Compleat.
I just made an appointment and asked for Fleetguard OAT or Shell Ultra OAT. Hope they were paying attention.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I just made an appointment and asked for Fleetguard OAT or Shell Ultra OAT. Hope they were paying attention.
Do not trust that they were listening. Most service shops including Cummins have their own agendas. They really know little about coolant for their engines let alone the difference in OAT coolants. Too many will try to push old OAT coolant that caused issues for silicon rubber and lead solder. Either the Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT or the Shell Ultra OAT will not have these issues. Do not let them sell you something because they think whatever "it" is is better or that they know better than you.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Do not trust that they were listening. Most service shops including Cummins have their own agendas. They really know little about coolant for their engines let alone the difference in OAT coolants. Too many will try to push old OAT coolant that caused issues for silicon rubber and lead solder. Either the Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT or the Shell Ultra OAT will not have these issues. Do not let them sell you something because they think whatever "it" is is better or that they know better than you.
Good advise Gary. I may stop to see them Monday to make sure they understand what I want. If there is any confusion I will offer to buy the materials myself.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
You can install a WF2123 synthetic media coolant filter (0, zero units). This filter can be left on the engine for 3 years. With this filter use Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT or Shell Ultra OAT coolants. Both of these coolants utilize a combination of organic acid corrosion inhibitors that will protect the engine against cylinder liner cavitation.
Gary, My Cummins manual calls for a WF2077 for 0 DCA units. I assume the WF2123 will fit and work? Obviously you know way more about it than I do, just checking.
Thanks