Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

Coolant Leak at waterpump

I have a leak at what appears the water pump. I am wondering if anyone has found that a seal can be replaced or if the entire pump needs replacing. I have:

2010 ISB Cummings 340 on Freightliner.

Also, on ISB I understand the coolant is dry system and only requires 4895 approved coolant. I have been adding Prestone while it has been leaking and still trying to figure out if I need to drain and refill with something specific that is recommended by Cummings. A very strange range of online recommendations. Called Freightliner and they told me 50/50 ethanol glycol would work. But now that I wonder if I need to recharge with OEM recommended Fleetwood.
Thanks for any input!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ISB is a parent bore engine, it does not need normal diesel coolant nor SCA's like wet liner engine (ISC and larger) does. It won't hurt to use regular diesel coolant with SCA's though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

A delayed thank you. I ended up getting the pump replaced. Guess what. I still have a leak after the new pump was installed by a qualified mobile diesel mechanic. Now its at Cummings Orlando and they say its leaking from the weep hole and needs another waterpump after only 3500 miles. I had to add another gallon recently. Any chance its another problem and I never really needed the new pump? Seems odd. It was a Carquest pump and not Cummings and at the time I did not have time to get OEM. Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #4

I am not a cummins guy but I have changed many water pumps at my place of work and the car quest pump is most likely just a chinese piece of junk like everyone has for sale. Getting a OEM pump from cummins will be the best choice, yes it will cost more but the rig you have is for long haul trips and who wants a break down in the middle of nowhere.
randyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

I would have never let this pump on board, but I had limited options. The cost of labor far exceeds any additional cost of a pump. I told they guy I wanted OEM but he said he could not source it quickly. Why would anyone that would spend 4 hours installing not insist on OEM parts. It would only be about 50 dollars more. Should have made him go back and get one!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Hi Deas; Been there and done that! Yes I agree with the other posters who responded. In 2016 I need to replace the WP on my 99 Ford SD truck with the 7.3 diesel. Started researching and found most of the replacements at auto parts stores, including NAPA, were from China. I said, no way, even with a life time warranty. You still have to take it back when it craps out. Finally got a Motorcraft from Rock Auto. Even with OEM, you have to ask to see where the parts are made. A lot of people behind the counter don't know. Sorry you have to go through this. I hope things work out in your favor.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
I would have never let this pump on board, but I had limited options. The cost of labor far exceeds any additional cost of a pump. I told they guy I wanted OEM but he said he could not source it quickly. Why would anyone that would spend 4 hours installing not insist on OEM parts. It would only be about 50 dollars more. Should have made him go back and get one!
Given you scenario I would flush the system and recharge with your choice of OAT or SCA

Something seems wrong as I have used Chinese pumps in a pinch and they lasted for years, albeit you can get a bad anything as many of you know
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Pump seals fail when they wear out of course but they can fail earlier due to mineral build up, higher temperatures than design, excessive vibration, and even dropping a pump on concrete or steel hitting the shaft might crack the seal. Second water pump back to back, flush for darn sure and prior test the coolant to see what you have regarding SCA's, color, turbidity and so on
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The ISB is a parent bore engine, it does not need normal diesel coolant nor SCA's like wet liner engine (ISC and larger) does. It won't hurt to use regular diesel coolant with SCA's though.
Right you are. Just get the regular green stuff a walmart. ISB doesn't care.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #10

It was flushed just before the leak by Gaffney Freightliner. It is my understanding the ISB does not require regular Diesel coolant. However, a new round of coolant might not be a bad idea. On the first repair they pumped most of the coolant back in with a new gallon added. I have added another gallon since.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
It was flushed just before the leak by Gaffney Freightliner. It is my understanding the ISB does not require regular Diesel coolant. However, a new round of coolant might not be a bad idea. On the first repair they pumped most of the coolant back in with a new gallon added. I have added another gallon since.
Given the flush and if the coolant looks clear with no debris or oil and so on it might be ok. We used to keep a 10 micron filter and use a lot back into tractors and most had SCA's and coolant filters so a bit different.

The main difference in all the antifreeze out there is the type of inhibitor methodology utilized. Longer interval with the OAT and not having to test for SCA's is the primary advantage.

I feel for you having to change another pump that quick, makes you wonder what the heck happened
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #12

Coolant never wears out, the additives do. Coolant may be re-cycled through a machine that replaces depleted additives after being filtered. When the old coolant was simply "poured back in" they returned any contamination back into the cooling system without testing for required additives.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water