Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Cost of overhead adjustment

I asked for recommended Cummins shops along I40a few days ago & got good feedback. Will go to the Albuquerque shop in mid Oct.

Anyone got a ballpark $$ figure for this service. Mine is an ISM but should be similar to any with a Jake brake.

Thanks,

Steve Ownby
‘03 Sig
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you mean a valve adjustment? They may be overhead valves, but it's the valves that get adjusted, not the overhead.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

Well the shop has overhead too. That needs to be factored in.

Have not heard of an overhead adjustment but did have my neck and back adjusted awhile back.

On a more serious note, and people will take you more seriously on-line or at a diesel shop if you refer to this procedure as a valve adjustment.

I used to be able to adjust valves on an 855 cu. in. Cummins in about an hour, including Jakes. Of course that was on a conventional semi with nothing between me and the engine except maybe an intake boot and a few wire ties.

Cummins NW in Portland charges about 30-40 dollars more per hour when working on a motorhome. Now THAT is an adjustment!

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Valve Adjustment = Overhead

When I called and scheduled a valve lash adjustment at Rush Truck Center several years back, they said "Oh. You mean an 'Overhead'"
So...I learned that for some in the business, "overhead" means what I call "valve lash adjustment"
Just to say that I've heard the same thing as the OP - and yes, I was confused when I first heard it!!! It makes no sense to me....but I'm from the south where we say things like "she just up and died" :-)
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Well the shop has overhead too. That needs to be factored in.

Have not heard of an overhead adjustment but did have my neck and back adjusted awhile back.

On a more serious note, and people will take you more seriously on-line or at a diesel shop if you refer to this procedure as a valve adjustment.

I used to be able to adjust valves on an 855 cu. in. Cummins in about an hour, including Jakes. Of course that was on a conventional semi with nothing between me and the engine except maybe an intake boot and a few wire ties.

Cummins NW in Portland charges about 30-40 dollars more per hour when working on a motorhome. Now THAT is an adjustment!

I got the term from Cummins maintenance literature. The valves are one adjustment but the Jake is adjusted and the injector stroke also since they are all under the valve cover.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Have you read the valve adjustment schedule for your engine? For instance, valve lash adjustment for an ISX engine is at 500,000 miles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray,in View Post
have you read the valve adjustment schedule for your engine? For instance, valve lash adjustment for an isx engine is at 500,000 miles.

ism is at 120,000.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
ISC Valve Adjust Frequence

The 8.3L ISC manual calls for valve adjustment at 150k.

We did it at 105k (a little early).
As I understand it, there is no harm done if nothing needed adjusting (at worst, it would be wasted money). The rig is 14 years old and they had never been adjusted, and the Cummins guy (whom I trust) recommended it....even though they didn't do the adjustment. As it turned out, a few were out of adjustment and we did pick up about 1 mpg after adjusting plus a possible slight decrease in valve train noise. The decrease in noise also could be my wishful thinking, having invested the $$$ :-) but the mpg was objectively measurable.

I'm more of a maintenance kind of guy and like to stay a little ahead of the game if possible. I do understand that it wasn't genuinely 'necessary' when we had it done.

Thanks for the feedback and discussion....I always learn something here!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
ziaptrn

What was the charge for the "valve" adjustment?? and where was it done --- ie truck service place? Cummins RV place?

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Oops. Guess I forgot and left that out. Rush Truck Center did the work; the cost was (if I recall correctly) 350.00. Sometimes I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast....and this was about 2 years ago.
I priced an adjustment recently and it was $400.00. I believe this may vary widely depending on location, part of the country, etc.
My apologies for failing to respond to the initial question in the posting...which was... "how much"!
Old 09-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the info --- I need to find a truck service place to do that around here. I think Cummins wanted $650-750.

I have an ISC with almost 140,000 MI. -- almost time

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote