Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Cracked freeze plug

I have a 2011 tiffin allegro red and have been having some issues with the engine. Long story short after having the oil changed before our summer trip we ended up breaking down as the oil filter that was inserted was "cracked". The company who changed my oil made sure that I was fully compensated for all of the troubles that were caused without question. They also made sure to offer to fix any issues that might show in the next 10,000 miles as a result of the error. It seems that now I am faced with what I have been told is a cracked freeze plug and as a result had coolant in my oil. My questions is this...Could this have anything to do with the cracked oil filter mishap. I shut down the engine as soon as the red light came on and had it towed so it was not driven far. I was even told at the cummins dealer that more than likely there was not any type of long term damage. I just can't seem to not connect the two events. Also, if the freeze plug is cracked what are the long term consequences of this. I only have 18,000 miles on the engine and I am really worried.
Pellerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually a cracked or leaking freeze plug allows coolant to leak out of the cooling system onto the ground. I fail to see how this could cause coolant to get into the oil. Something sounds funny here but I'd not be laughing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Agreed. I dont know your engine, but freeze plugs usually do NOT go between coolant and oil areas. They are there to help prevent a cracked block in case your coolant freezes. they are the 'weak links'. Something else is going on.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Ok so what are the right questions for me to ask? From what I have read it seems that a cracked block or blown head gasket are the more common issues that cause this problem. Why would I be getting the run around? Just find the problem and fix it. It should still be under warranty.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Water in the oil is usually from what you say - blown head gasket, or cracked block. But, could also be from a warped head. The low oil/over heating could have caused a warped head/blown gasket issue.

Could also be an oil cooler failure.. Do you have one?

What engine is this we are talking about?

How many miles have been driven since the oil incident?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

I have driven about 400 miles since the oil debacle.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

340 hp engine.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellerotto View Post
340 hp engine.
Cummins? If so, the consensus seems to be blown head gasket.. But, look at the oil cooler just in case.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

Great thanks.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

Hey, Pellerotto, if you have an oil cooler problem, you will know it, the oil pump has way more pressure, than the water pump. If the oil cooler fails, it will fill the radiator with the slimiest mess you have ever seen. So if the radiator doesn't have a oil in it you don't need to worry about the oil cooler.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

Perfect! I am going to speak with the mechanic tomorrow. His solution to the problem when I spoke to him on Friday was to fix the freeze plug and change the oil. He stated he would change the oil a few times with the expectation that the water would evaporate. He was waiting for cummins to approve the warranty work. I am not sure what to do if he is committed to the freeze plug being the issue. Hopefully fixing it will not alleviate the problem and he will be forced to investigate further.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
A common mistake to call the core plugs freeze plugs and believing they will protect the engine from freezing. The "Freeze Plugs" are there to allow the casting sand to be removed from the engine block and heads at the foundry. They got the name freeze plugs from the days of alcohol anti-freeze when some old engines were occasionally protected when they popped out during a freeze event. Many more engines cracked there block even if they popped out. Most core plugs will dump on the ground, BUT some engines also have a core plug inside of the engine that would allow the anti-freeze to enter the non pressurized side of the crankcase. I would be pulling an oil sample and be having it analyzed every few weeks to see if the problem has been corrected. This will show any abnormal wear that is happening from this insistent. This will come in handy if you have an engine failure later and have to fight for warranty repair. You will be able to see any impending failure before it left you stranded. Good luck. Ed
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3152648303.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	28194

This is exactly what I have learned from the mechanic. He has been very patient with me. He also sent a picture of where theses plugs are located which I have tried to attach. He assured me that because if their location under the valve cover in the cylendar head it was possible that coolant could mix with the engine oil. I will certainly get the oil analyzed regularly just for peace of mind. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me wrap my head around the problem.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like you're still under warranty. DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Sounds like your oil change place and Cummins can duke it out over who caused the issue, but it wasn't you. Make sure you have copies of any oil analysis, and if you don't have one, get one so you can track if the issue gets fixed, worse, or whatever.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote