Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Cracked Oil Pan B5.9

The title says it all... the oil pan on the old 12 valve cummins has sprung a leak. It's cracked from one of the bolt holes around the flange down the side just about an inch... right near the bell housing. Oil is just pouring out to the tune of about a gallon every 1000 miles (this developed on our way to floriday last christmas... we lost a gallon on the way down and a gallon on the way home... )

The oil pan is super easy to remove on this rig as there are no cross members or hoses or anything underneath getting in the way of dropping the pan. My question is this: Since the pan does not appear rusty at all, it shouldn't be a problem to just drop it and have the crack welded right? We have a fancy tig welder at work with a guy who really knows how to use it... I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem, but just wanted to see what others think first. Maybe there are pros and cons to this...

A new pan looks to run over $500. Seems a little steep... especially if I can fix this one for the price of an oil change and a gasket.

Thanks in advance.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some things you just never know until you try. Do you have any idea why it cracked in the first place?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weld it. Especially if you have somebody who knows what they are doing to do it right. Biggie is not to distort it from the heat. Reinstall with clean bolt hole threads, correct torque values and pattern.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Some things you just never know until you try. Do you have any idea why it cracked in the first place?
No idea whatsoever. There are no dents in the pan is if it were hit or bumped by something. I suspect its either from a defect, vibration, age... or a combination of all 3.

-cheers
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Weld it. Especially if you have somebody who knows what they are doing to do it right. Biggie is not to distort it from the heat. Reinstall with clean bolt hole threads, correct torque values and pattern.
Good advice on cleaning out the threads. I think I'll pull it off one evening this week. Supposed to be up around 50 here tomorrow, which makes crawling around on my cold garage floor a little easier.

Once I take it off I'll show it to our welder and see what he thinks... I can get either a gasket kit or a pan/gasket combo from cummins delivered in just a day so I won't have to leave the bottom of the engine open in the garage for more than a day or 2.

I'm just totally stoked that it's not the rear main leaking, which was my first fear. No way I could get the RV up high enough in my garage to get the tranny out... I'd have had to pay someone to do it... $$$

Thanks for the input.

-cheers
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
No idea whatsoever. There are no dents in the pan is if it were hit or bumped by something. I suspect its either from a defect, vibration, age... or a combination of all 3.

-cheers
Kind of like adding insult to injury.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
If the pan is cast aluminum, would suspect improper torquing of pan bolts and/or thickness of gasket.
Would not think it had the stamped steel pan, never have seen one of them just crack for no reason.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Had mine replaced on my ISB under warranty. Cummins couldn't find the leak so had to place dye in the oil. Not sure how it cracked, but since they cover under warranty I guess it could be an ISB issue.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #9

I would weld the pan. A really good tig welder is an artist.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
If the pan is cast aluminum, would suspect improper torquing of pan bolts and/or thickness of gasket.
Would not think it had the stamped steel pan, never have seen one of them just crack for no reason.
Dave M
It actually is a stamped steel pan. 15 quart capacity.

I'm not sure if improper torquing is the culprit or not. The bolts on the pan near the rear main were not very tight at all. Maybe this allowed for too much movement and vibration... I just dunno. At this point, I'll just pull the thing off and see where I can go from there. Thanks again for all the input everyone.

-cheers
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #11

If you can't weld the tank Geno's Garage sells replacement engine oil pans for the ISB 5.9L engines. They also sell the replacement gasket part number 3959052 and new drain plugs if required. The part number for the oil pan is 3914403 cost is $450 new plus shipping. These pans fit the 89-93 engines. They also sell the replacement pick-up tube gasket that is required to be replace when servicing the pan part number 398157 and the drain plug gasket part number is DRM0970041.

Here is the general on line link. Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Parts and Accessories - Geno's Garage

Jim W.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #12

Update:

Had the pan welded... and it's back on the rig. Everything looks good and I suspect there will be no issues.

"Knock on wood."

-cheers
Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Good deal. Thanks for the update.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Had the pan welded... and it's back on the rig. Everything looks good and I suspect there will be no issues.

"Knock on wood."

-cheers
Let me ask when you took it off were are the bolts as tight as they needed to be or were some loose.?
I'm one bolt near the crack was tight but that many others close to it were not.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote