Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Dino in both of my diesels because I like to change more often to get any contaminants out. My Cummins book states 17-19 quarts so I usually start with about 16 and add as needed. Always change the filter.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I use Dino in both of my diesels because I like to change more often to get any contaminants out. My Cummins book states 17-19 quarts so I usually start with about 16 and add as needed. Always change the filter.
I went with Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 recommended by Cummins along with their filter. The oil is petroleum based.

I also bought a filter wrench that has 3 fingers that can be used up and under the base of the filter. There is very limited space on the side.

Just waiting for Blackstone Lab's sample results.

Great stuff, thanks folks.

60Vette
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used the Mobil Delvac super 1300 in my Ford and just naturally used the same thing in the Cummins.

I also use a strap wrench that works on most any filter.

When you install the filter you may have to go a little past hand tighten or it may leak.

--------------------------

Are you driving a 60 vette. When we got married I had a 56 vette. What a machine!!!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #18

When you install the filter you may have to go a little past hand tighten or it may leak.

--------------------------

Are you driving a 60 vette. When we got married I had a 56 vette. What a machine!!![/QUOTE]

Hi Greystroke:

The filter is surrounded by harnesses and side access is very limited. Indeed I got the original off with the metal strap wrench but went to Snap-On and over paid (really?) for a 3 finger unit that will grab the bottom and twist it off.

Yes, having experienced a leaker there is no way she is going on without plenty of wrist. I lube the gasket with lots of grease after I prefill the cannister. There is no way that I am running that Cummins dry.

I do have a 1960 Corvette that I have owned since '86. Took me a good 10 years to restore but I have had every nut and bolt in my hand and plated, painted or replaced them. Black, silver cove and red interior. The interior and exterior look bone stock but I have 350 with AL heads, roller cam, roller rockers, AL intake, air conditioning and a Richmond 5 speed with an Eaton posi rear. I put disc brakes on it from Corvette Central. I drive the bejesus out of it and despite my 61 years am not shy about putting on a smoke show.
I think I have just hijacked my own thread.

Grey, your fond memories of your old '56 might have become jaded over the years. My 89 year old Dad has a '56. The ride is like falling down a flight of stairs, they hate to go around a corner and the old drums barely stop you but gosh I love these old cars. On a cruise I'm the one getting the thumbs up from the civilians and my buddies with their new Vettes are ignored.

Perhaps if I wasn't such a retard I could post a picture.

Maybe this thread should be moved. Is there a "My other car" thread?

Ralph
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry about the hijacking. Apologies. So I had better stop or I won't turn off.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #20

Mine takes 40 Qts. 2= 2-1/2 gallon Rottelas at Sams for $63. $126 total plus filter.

I had a 63 split window Vette till I got married. No more. Should have keep the Vette.
New $3,000
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Mine takes 40 Qts. 2= 2-1/2 gallon Rottelas at Sams for $63. $126 total plus filter.

I had a 63 split window Vette till I got married. No more. Should have keep the Vette.
New $3,000
WOW! 40 quarts. That is one big engine. Bought my 56 for 1995.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post

Here is the official stance on filter installation from a guy who was a field engineer for Fleetguard (Cummins) for 22+ years. "A little past hand tight" is invitation to disaster. Whether the filter is a Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donaldson, Wix or whatever.....the turns past gasket initial contact is governed by thread pitch. I fully understand that installing the lube filter to the required turns past first contact will require some effort. Failure to do so will allow the filter to back off and leak possibly leading to a spun main bearing and major overhaul. The correct band wrenches for large spin on filters are not commonly available from just any autoparts store. You need a wide band wrench that utilizes a 1/2" square drive and long handle ratchet to install correctly. Such band wrenches are availabel from KD Tools.

Spike45
Gary Spires
Retired Cummins (Fleetguard) Field Engineer
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #23

New $3,000[/QUOTE]

Perry and Grey:

I guess we all have stories of the ones we should have kept. Family needs come first and you do what you have to. In 1972 I was making $2.85 an hour as a Wage Grade helicopter mechanic for the Army Guard. A three thousand dollar car might as well have been three million. I would buy a 6 pack of Genesee (sp) beer for 99 cents. I am enjoying my life now.

I went to the Good Guys Hot Rod event in West Springfield, MA over the weekend. 2000 plus hot rods. Lots of guys drove RVs and towed their rods on trailers. At the event they could come and go as they pleased with their cars and had a place to stay right there. Great idea!

What a fun time with zero humidity.

Best regards
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Here is the official stance on filter installation from a guy who was a field engineer for Fleetguard (Cummins) for 22+ years. "A little past hand tight" is invitation to disaster. Whether the filter is a Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donaldson, Wix or whatever.....the turns past gasket initial contact is governed by thread pitch. I fully understand that installing the lube filter to the required turns past first contact will require some effort. Failure to do so will allow the filter to back off and leak possibly leading to a spun main bearing and major overhaul. The correct band wrenches for large spin on filters are not commonly available from just any autoparts store. You need a wide band wrench that utilizes a 1/2" square drive and long handle ratchet to install correctly. Such band wrenches are availabel from KD Tools.

Spike45
Gary Spires
Retired Cummins (Fleetguard) Field Engineer

Great info Gary. Maybe I dont have the strength any more to hand tight with the force necessary to keep it from leaking. My Cummins leaks quite a bit when I hand tighten. My Ford is the same way. I have changed oil and filters thousands of times in my life time.....handtight was always ok in every case except when I bought my first diesel 97 Ford. My 92 was the same way so I was not surprised when the Cummins leaked too...bad.

A little past "handtight" does not mean cranking down to distort the seal. Just a little bit. Oil leakage is a daily check for me.

Thanks for the reply. Was a twelve year old greese monkey and for years after. What a life!!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
New $3,000
Perry and Grey:

I guess we all have stories of the ones we should have kept. Family needs come first and you do what you have to. In 1972 I was making $2.85 an hour as a Wage Grade helicopter mechanic for the Army Guard. A three thousand dollar car might as well have been three million. I would buy a 6 pack of Genesee (sp) beer for 99 cents. I am enjoying my life now.

I went to the Good Guys Hot Rod event in West Springfield, MA over the weekend. 2000 plus hot rods. Lots of guys drove RVs and towed their rods on trailers. At the event they could come and go as they pleased with their cars and had a place to stay right there. Great idea!

What a fun time with zero humidity.

Best regards[/QUOTE]

465 a month with a 98 car payment
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #26

Yea, and if I knew what I know now, I'd had a vasectomy when I was 8 years old.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote