Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Am I correct in assuming the new Cummins diesels (looking at a 425hp) don't have a crankcase breather tube open to the atmosphere? Concerned about another oil caked radiator.

By the way, what do the initials "ISL" stand for or mean?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Am I correct in assuming the new Cummins diesels (looking at a 425hp) don't have a crankcase breather tube open to the atmosphere? Concerned about another oil caked radiator.

By the way, what do the initials "ISL" stand for or mean?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doc:

By the way, what do the initials "ISL" stand for or mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the new engines do vent to atmosphere but their is a robust filter to catch oil emissions. IS stands for Interact System i.e. it contains a computer and software to have engine interact with other components like turbo, tranny, etc. The L is simply a series of engines. Cummins has over the years assigned letters from B to X as well as some name like VIM/VINE, etc.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have an ISL (non particulate trap) engine and I thought that this engine with the Enviroguard crankcase breather did not vent via a "slober" tube. After a few thousand miles, I noticed oil on the bottom of the bell housing. When I got around to checking it more thoughorly, the bottom of the starter was wet also. Come to find out, Cummins ran a tube down the side of the engine that terminates between the starter and the block. And, it vents to the atmosphere just like the 90's models. So, I added a Jazz bottle and ran an 1" host from the Enviroguard box to this catch bottle and now no more mess.

2008 Camelot 40 PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #5

Thanks Leo. Now I can understand why I see oil spots on the back of my coach. As soon as it warms up I will put a catch bottle on mine also.

2008 Jeep Wrangler
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Happycarz:
I have an ISL (non particulate trap) engine and I thought that this engine with the Enviroguard crankcase breather did not vent via a "slober" tube. After a few thousand miles, I noticed oil on the bottom of the bell housing. When I got around to checking it more thoughorly, the bottom of the starter was wet also. Come to find out, Cummins ran a tube down the side of the engine that terminates between the starter and the block. And, it vents to the atmosphere just like the 90's models. So, I added a Jazz bottle and ran an 1" host from the Enviroguard box to this catch bottle and now no more mess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-----------------------------------------------
I think something is wrong here. The coalescing filter should remove the oil; the hose is to vent the "cleaned" air. I'll do some more checking on this at Cummins next week.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
Thanks Leo. Now I can understand why I see oil spots on the back of my coach. As soon as it warms up I will put a catch bottle on mine also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
=================================================
This shouldn't be necessary and can damage engine if it causes back pressure. These are first messages I have seen on oil drips from engines with coalescing filter device and I am going to do some checking.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Leo,
I learned about the Jazz breaver bottle right here on IRV2.com. By looking at the picture, you will be able to see that it is vented via the small filter on top. It did cure the the wetness problem on the starter and bellhousing, and now the forward side on the mudflap does not get the tiny oil splatters.

2008 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #9

Harry - that looks good although I don't know its capacity; so its a qualified looks good . I am interested in why oil was not caught by the coalescing filter and returned to pan. I am going to check with my Cummins interface this coming week to see if he has some insights into this issue.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #10

Here is Cummins response to this issue.

All ISC/ISL engines (even 07 certified) are vented to atmosphere via a draft tube. With the release of the high pressure common rail fuel system we moved the crankcase filter from the side of the engine block to the top of the valve cover (Nov03). This resulted in a significant improvement in oil carryover capability. I say improvement because the filter still was not robust enough to control oil carryover due to mis-calibrated dipsticks (OEM issue) or some cases where customers were trying to maintain the oil level at the 'Full' mark on the dipstick ... the engine will find its desired level somewhere between the full and add marks.

In January 07 we made the latest change to the crankcase breather system. Because with the 07 certification, we were responsible to account for crankcase emissions as part of the certified exhaust emissions. Rather than take a direction of closed crankcase ventilation, we chose to use a much more robust crankcase breather that separates the crankcase gases and returns the solid oils back to the crankcase. This filter resulted in another significant level of improvement in oil carryover capability. The filter on this engine is very similar to the Fleetguard Enviroguard filter in functionality.

If you are getting oil out the vent tube of our HPCR ISL, I would have the dipstick calibration checked. HPCR engines don't normally have a carryover issue unless the engine is seeing too much oil.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ecker:
Harry - that looks good although I don't know its capacity; so its a qualified looks good . I am interested in why oil was not caught by the coalescing filter and returned to pan. I am going to check with my Cummins interface this coming week to see if he has some insights into this issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
------------------------------------------------
Re the filter - my contact commented as follows:
------------------------------------------------
the one watch-out is to make sure the tube to the catching device can completely drain to the device. I've heard of people using these type devices on trucks and in cold climates the tube would freeze-up and block-off venting of the crankcase ... may not be a big issue if the RV is not operating in cold climates. The problem occurs when condensation from the warm crankcase gases collects in a low spot in the vent tube then freezes. The engine compartment of a RV is most likely going to have enough heat to prevent freezing but to be safe a person should be mindful of where the catching device is mounted and the routing of vent tube.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Leo,
I used a 1" ID hose to connect the Enviroguard to the breather bottle, with no sags.
Did your contact give you any reason for the misting out of the vent tube?

2008 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Happycarz:
Leo,
I used a 1" ID hose to connect the Enviroguard to the breather bottle, with no sags.
Did your contact give you any reason for the misting out of the vent tube? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

============================================
Just as noted in an earlier response - too high oil level either due to miss calibration of dipstick by OEM or trying to keep oil level at full mark when one should let engine settle in at some level between fill and full. I personally wonder about too long of idle foaming oil in pan.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">or trying to keep oil level at full mark when one should let engine settle in at some level between fill and full. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've owned the same Cessna 182 since 1987. It has a Coninental O-470 (large bore) 6 cyl gas engine. Manual says it takes 12 qts of oil, but over the years it's been perfectly happy with 9. Any more would always end up all over the belly of the plane. Always had a problem with mechanics wanting to fill it to 12 qts, even when I told them otherwise. Finally, only way to solve the problem was to buy my own case of oil before each annual inspection. I removed two quarts from the case (leaving one for the filter) and told them "use this and only this".

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote