Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Cummins 5.9 heat soak issue??

I have a '95 Safari with the Cummins 5.9 with 52k miles.
It runs great (for the most part), but has been developing some type of heat soak issue - it would seem.
If I run down the highway for a couple of hours and then stop for a few minutes such as for a fuel stop, sometimes I get a condition where there is near total power loss and black smoke out of the tail pipe when I restart. From the driver perspective, it feels like there is zero boost. I don't have a boost gauge, so I don't know exactly what the boost situation is.
If I let the rig sit for 15 minutes, I can get back in and it is back to normal and runs great.
I pulled the turbo and had a diesel mechanic look at it. He thought it looked good. He looked at the engine and was concerned about the injector return lines which daisy chain between the cylinders and sit right over the exhaust manifold. He thought maybe they were heat soaking and putting vaporized fuel back into the filter before the fuel pump.
This is a new issue that I have not experienced before the last year or so.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Robert
rcpaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

I would say the mechanic, doesn't know diesel engines, because the return lines on the injectors goes back to the fuel tank, not the filter. You have something else going on. I would guess, it could be the lift pump.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #3

Check your temperature gauge and also check to see if it rises after you stop. A dash gauge will give a rough indication but a direct readout of the ECM such as a VMSpc will be very accurate. You may need to clean the radiator.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to throw something else out there to check. I had a Banks Turbo kit rubber elbow that would collapse and restrict the air flow to the turbo causing similar symptoms. When the symptoms occur check the air inlet system for restrictions as heat could soften rubber hoses as to let the collapse under vacuum. Just a thought.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Robert,

Does the engine smoke at idle or when running under load? Typically black smoke is caused by a high fuel to air ratio at a given point. Diesels will tend to smoke a little when under load until the turbo catches up (turbo lag) but not at idle. You said the mechanic gave the turbo a once over, did he check the waste gate for smooth operation?
If the the waste gate sticks open, it may cause an under boost condition which could account for the smoke and lack of get up and go.

Martin
MartinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

reply to Martin

Hi Martin,
The turbo looks good, the waste gate actuator and related components look good. When this happens, it idles fine, no smoke. Try to get some power to roll, black smoke comes out of the tail pipe like the turbo is not spooling as you say. At first I thought I might have a stuck turbo or stuck waste gate, but the components look good. There is a large rubber 90 elbow feeding the air into the turbo. I wonder if it could be sucking down and limiting air flow after it gets hot in a heat soak situation. I can look for this next time it happens.
Robert
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Hi Robert,

Good point on the elbow. It should not be the air filter as you would get the problem cold and hot. The other thing that you may want to look at is the waste gate controller. I'm not sure however if this is electronically controlled.

Martin
MartinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

elbow

Hi Martin,
It's definitely not the air cleaner. I was concerned about that at first.
But I put in a new air cleaner and rerouted the fresh air to the cleaner from inside the rear bedroom to keep the air cleaner clean. We do a lot of desert camping (largely to the East of you!). I had a big problem with dirt accumulation in the air cleaner. Now, drawing the air from inside the cabin, I will probably never need another air cleaner change.

I think I may add a stiffener to the elbow to prevent collapse and see what happens.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

I have a 95 5.9 in my truck. One thing I had to do was replace the boost hoses with heavier units with good spring clamps. If a hose is leaking at all you will lose power and make smoke. Black smoke,as said, is too much fuel.

Silicone Hoses: Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps
cjensen91910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #10

On a 95 the waste gate is not computer controlled. It has a hose running to it from the turbo .
Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #11

Here is a link to a diesel forum I use all the time. The 5.9 is the same engine as the Dodge turbo diesel. Several people on here have had or have the same engine you have. Ask some questions and I am sure you will get some good info.

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Tags
cummins