Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cummins 6.7 360 HP

Bought new 2020 Entegra 38' Reatta, took it out for first time and could barely get over 35 MPH on up hill grade. This does't seem right to me . I traded in my Max Force Tiffin for what I thought was more HP but this is frustrating.
Any thoughts?
Gark
Gark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
How steep was the grade? How heavy is your coach? Were you towing? All could play a part in how fast you go up the grades.
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the engine torque rating, not the horsepower. Try to find a coach with at least 1000 ft lbs. 1250 is better.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Grade was not too steep 5% not towing anything not even loaded.
Torque rating is 800lbs @ 1800 rpm not that great I guess. total GVWR is 32000 I guess I should have done more homework before I spent this much money.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #5

If you can't maintain even mid thirties going up a 5% grade there is something amiss with your engine. First, make sure you are not in Economode when going up hills. Second, don't be afraid of using your revs to your advantage. In my previous coach, similar to yours but with the 340 horse engine, I could go up that degree of hill in fourth gear between 50 and 55 mph. Red line is 2600 rpm so anything under that is permissible. Use your shift pad also to change to a lower gear before you start up the hill. Easier on the engine and better cooling also. Just y $.02. Good luck with your new coach.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Do you have turbo boost gauge what was it at at the time? Low fuel flow and pressure next to come to mind after lugging in too high of gear.Check or change filters comes to mind..... but now I look its brand new I'd be asking dealer.
Not much difference in torque between 6.7s .more HP should in higher RPM range to keep it pulling.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

I felt the same way when I was driving home with our Palazzo 33.2 (with 300hp/640tq 6.7) from the dealer trying to go up a mild grade up highway 15 north of the dealer in SoCal. I was so pissed, I almost took it back immediately. Got a Cummins approved 360hp/800tq upgrade and made sure to manually downshift to keep RPM above 1700 and now it's acceptable.
I would call Cummins to see if you can get a 400hp/~1000th tune, which with their authorization can be done at any Cummins authorized center for ~$500 and is fully covered by warranty. I am not beyond looking at what the cost would be to change the engine and transfer to somethinget with at least 400/1000 power and would have happily paid for better up front!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Check to see if you have a lift pump.
Our 2008 6.7 cummins does NOT, but it should!

The CP3 has a gear driven vacuum pump to suck fuel from the tank, but like ANY suction pump it has limits on what it can pull.
ShaunAED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gark View Post
Grade was not too steep 5% not towing anything not even loaded.

Torque rating is 800lbs @ 1800 rpm not that great I guess. total GVWR is 32000 I guess I should have done more homework before I spent this much money.

We have a 17 Ram 3500 with 6.7 Cummins with 800 ft/lbs of torque redline is 3000 RPMs when loaded with equipment trailer the pedal is to the medal, no difference with our MH with X15 Cummins if it gets in the wrong gear it will bog down just in TN hills it also takes a heavy foot. This is my experience engine has to be at max hp rpms!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
2020 Entegra

Thanks for all the response. Since its a new coach I think I will be dropping it off at the dealer next week and telling them all the concerns. Thats why we pay for warranties right?
Its just very frustrating when you fork out that much money and are told this is the perfect coach for you, we didn't expect to have so many problems. Especially the HP issue, that is my main concern.
Thanks again I will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Keep in mind that if your main concern is the HP, your dealer is most likely NOT a certified Cummins service center and would only send it to one the use for evaluation for factory stock warranty issues but would not upgrade the tune to a higher power and never under wRranty.
Assuming everything is working as it should, but you just aren't happy with the power, you need to contact Cummins and ask them if they have an authorized option for increasing the power (i.e. 400 HP Tune). If they do, then they will tell you to take it to a Cummins authorized service center and to have the center call Cummins (the person you spoke with) who will give the service center the authorization code for them to use with their InSite Tuner to reprogram your RV engine computer. Keep in mind, the responsibility for making all of the calls, appointments and payment for the tune and installation (~$500, parts & labor) are entirely yours. The dealer you purchased from, almost certainly will neither understand, care or be willing to get involved with a modification to your RV, Cummins authorized or not.
Good luck and I hope you can get your RV to be all you hope and expected.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
I felt the same way when I was driving home with our Palazzo 33.2 (with 300hp/640tq 6.7) from the dealer trying to go up a mild grade up highway 15 north of the dealer in SoCal. I was so pissed, I almost took it back immediately. Got a Cummins approved 360hp/800tq upgrade and made sure to manually downshift to keep RPM above 1700 and now it's acceptable.
I would call Cummins to see if you can get a 400hp/~1000th tune, which with their authorization can be done at any Cummins authorized center for ~$500 and is fully covered by warranty. I am not beyond looking at what the cost would be to change the engine and transfer to somethinget with at least 400/1000 power and would have happily paid for better up front!
I would presume your Cummins dealer verified the transmission is the 3000 series as the 2000/2500 series is not rated over 340hp/660 torque.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins will not turn an ISB up to 400hp. There are some aftermarket folks that have kits for this, but it will void your warranty.
Remember, this engine was jointly developed by Cummins and Case for tractors and backhoes. Also, this is the same engine Dodge installs in pickups. It is truly a great engine if the gross weight is kept below the 30,000 lb range.

The problem is Cummins discontinued the next engine up the line (ISC) and coach builders are trying to keep costs down by using the ISB.
Always ask for the torque rating on an engine when shopping for a diesel.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Cummins will not turn an ISB up to 400hp. There are some aftermarket folks that have kits for this, but it will void your warranty.
Remember, this engine was jointly developed by Cummins and Case for tractors and backhoes. Also, this is the same engine Dodge installs in pickups. It is truly a great engine if the gross weight is kept below the 30,000 lb range.

The problem is Cummins discontinued the next engine up the line (ISC) and coach builders are trying to keep costs down by using the ISB.
Always ask for the torque rating on an engine when shopping for a diesel.
I'm not saying that they will turn up the engine in a motor home, but the 6.7 in a new Ram 3500 is putting out 400HP and 1,000ft/lbs with a gross combined weight rating of 43,000 including a max trailer weight of 35,100 lbs with a 100,000 mile warranty so they obviously think it's capable.

If it were mine I'd make sure everything is working correctly and be happy with it for what it is. If you want a race car then contact your favorite aftermarket building and start shoveling money their way.
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins