Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #15

Thanks to both you guys

Cheers and thanks for the information. I'll be getting two. Now since you both run Rams, the TPMS system has eight year sensors. That's because the battery inside the tire powering the sensor dies in about eight years. Cost to replace each is about $270. The entire sensor/battery is replaced so you do the math for four wheels. I bought a tireminder and ten sensors to monitor both the truck, fiver, and spare tires. That total was $590 from Amszon.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #16

Great and thanks
Old 12-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #17

Did you get it fixed ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #18

Final Resolution

Yes, Nick, I got it fixed. Here’s what happened.

Quick summary: About a month or so before a planned 6,000 mile cross-country trip an intermittent CEL alerted me to a turbocharger problem that I had thought miraculously fixed itself, since after initially coming on 2 or 3 times this past summer, had not come on again for several months.

The closest dealership capable of servicing anything bigger than a 3500 series truck (about a 3-hour drive away) was willing to troubleshoot and repair my 4500 chassis cab but only if the CEL was illuminated when I pulled into the service bay. I knew that was ludicrous.

I then called Chrysler corporate. The customer care rep assigned to my case told me that that particular dealership was NOT authorized to perform warranty work on larger trucks after all. She got the manager on the phone who admitted that the service advisor that I spoke with previously had misled me. Coincidentally, he was no longer employed at that dealership.

She then called the next closest dealership (also a little more than 3 hours away) and set up a 3-way conference call with me and one of their service advisors. At that point, we were about 10 days out from our cross-country departure date. That advisor told me that the first available appointment was on October 3rd (2 days after our scheduled departure). However, if I were to drop off the truck at the dealership they might be able to get it in the shop within a week or so. I had no choice. I dropped it off the next day and got a rent-a-car for the 3-hour ride back to camp.

Understand that we had non-refundable reservations at most of the 24 RV parks on our cross-country trip. Any delay would have had a snowball effect on our itinerary. Luckily, the dealership called me back only 2 days later telling me my truck was ready for pick-up. They removed and replaced the turbocharger control module and conducted the necessary recalibration procedure at no cost to me. It was covered by the factory warranty. Not only that, the corporate customer care rep advised me to submit a claim for the car rental, which I did, and I was reimbursed.

We are now in Las Cruces, NM, at stop 23 of our 24-stop trip. We’ll be in Mesa, AZ tomorrow, where we’ll stay until March. The truck has performed flawlessly since the repair. I’m a happy camper!
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #19

Glad you got it fixed, under warranty. AsI said before mine cost $5700 to get out of California. Anyway, in Mesa, if you like beer and great hamburgers, go to the Handlebar restaurant on Apache Trail in Apache Junction. The have many draft beers by the growler and great food. Best time to go is 3pm
Old 12-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomson View Post
If you like beer and great hamburgers, go to the Handlebar restaurant on Apache Trail.
Been there, done that! We've been staying in the Mesa area during the winter for the past several years. Each time we make it a point to return to the Handlebar Grille. You're right, the food is great and they have a large selection of craft beers on tap. And business is booming! They were in the process of expanding when we were here last year. Can't wait to see what they've done with the place.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #21

Since I bought the code readers you suggested nothing has happened. SO THEY WORK GREAT. We were in the Handlebar in November on our way back from Las Cruces. Didn't notice any major interior changes; maybe outside. Food and beer were great. We're tired of the cold in Northern AZ and plan a week in Mesa mid-January to load up on tacos, steaks, etc. before heading to parts west like Quartzsite. Don't knowvthey changed my moniker
Old 01-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
Didn't notice any major interior changes; maybe outside.
Last time we were there was February 2019. Construction was going on the east side of the building. They told me they were expanding.

Quote:
We're tired of the cold in Northern AZ and plan a week in Mesa mid-January to load up on tacos, steaks, etc. before heading to parts west like Quartzsite.
Speaking of tacos, there is a relatively small, family-owned fast-food franchise in this area called Señor Taco. It is indeed a fast food chain, but the food doesn't seem to fit the category. It's delicious, authentic, and served in generous portions.

Quote:
Don't know why they changed my moniker.
Yeah, that's weird!
Old 01-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #23

We like Serranos on Power Road.

Tags
charger, cummins, problem, turbo