RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Cummins Dowel Pin Failure

I have a 98 Monaco Diplomat with a Cummins ISB motor with only 87,000 miles on it. Appears I have a KDP - killer dowel pin problem, which lead to cracked inner gear cover, and gear housing needing to be replaced. Anyone have experience with this, and/or suggestions? Any chance Cummins may pay for the repair despite the motor's age? Motor ran good until this happened. There's a lot of labor involved. There is a lot on the internet about this problem. Thank you!

Racer_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

The only KDP, I dealt with in 14 years at a Dodge dealership , was 18 years ago and Cummins wouldn't get involved then because the engine was 2 years out of warranty .

Because the camshaft has to come out ( drive gear is heat shrunk onto the shaft ) to remove the broken cover the time involved gets huge.

Before you go any further , check the block ; you don't want to spend the $$$ if you also have the #53 block. You did say ISB, so I'm assuming 24 valve engine.
It might be time to look for a different engine.

http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...eries-cummins/

Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The only KDP, I dealt with in 14 years at a Dodge dealership , was 18 years ago and Cummins wouldn't get involved then because the engine was 2 years out of warranty .

Because the camshaft has to come out ( drive gear is heat shrunk onto the shaft ) to remove the broken cover the time involved gets huge.

Before you go any further , check the block ; you don't want to spend the $$$ if you also have the #53 block. You did say ISB, so I'm assuming 24 valve engine.
It might be time to look for a different engine.

www.drivingline.com/articles/5-fatal-flaws-of-the-b-series-cummins/
And that's the bottom line. If you decide to buy a used engine, make sure it already has the KDP fix performed. That is an indicator the previous owner cared about the engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #4

Is your motor the 5.9 cummins. I have never heard of the killer dowel pin before.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Is your motor the 5.9 cummins. I have never heard of the killer dowel pin before.
Click on the link in post #2.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

thx Now more to worry about. lol
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #7

I was well aware of the KDP issue with my 5.9. I eventually decided that mine wasn't one that would likely have the problem but I did keep a folder on how to get ahead of it so it wouldn't drop out. In 15 years, never got to drilling the hole in the cover and adding the pin.

Those engines really didn't seem to be designed for heavy duty use. Also watch out for oil in the antifreeze. Just a sheen. Means there's a leak between pressurized oil system and the water pump. I forget where now, just remember it's expensive to fix. Most mechanics told me to ignore it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

Not designed for heavy duty use? The ungodly equipment and places i have seen these little engines used would say otherwise. If there is oil in the coolant I would suspect an oil cooler/ gasket issue. Just my two cents though.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
Not designed for heavy duty use? The ungodly equipment and places i have seen these little engines used would say otherwise. If there is oil in the coolant I would suspect an oil cooler/ gasket issue. Just my two cents though.
I should say that it was my OPINION that they weren't designed for heavy use. I found several issues with that engine like the KDP and the expensive oil leak into the coolant...most of them I don't remember anymore. I use to know all about that leak but I've forgotten now. I do remember it required lots of cash money to fix.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sorry you have problems. The little Cummins ISB was originally designed by both Case and Cummins as a tractor engine. Jack Roush engineering did the work to install it into a Dodge pickup and it has been a fantastic engine. There are millions of these engines out there in all different configurations. Most are trouble free and last quite a long time.

You are going to have to do some homework to get this repaired without spending the bank.

I would first price the cost of a used Cummins 5.9 engine and the labor to install it.
I would then price out the replacement parts required to repair your engine and the labor to install them. Do the parts search yourself and look at every source possible.

I would not use a Cummins dealer as their parts and labor rates are going to be double that of a private shop. Try to find a small independent shop that will agree to work on a motor home.
Best of luck!
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This is a complete engine out of an 03 Bounder RV. This one only has 31k miles on it before the coach interior caught fire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-CUMMIN...YAAOSwtcNc~pzE

Another complete engine very reasonable. 1998 model. However, I would worry this one could potentially have a dowel pin issue in the future.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Cummin...YAAOSwRXhc0Z5q

This is a remanufactured engine with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUMMINS-5-9...EAAOSwC-xavO9V
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I should say that it was my OPINION that they weren't designed for heavy use. I found several issues with that engine like the KDP and the expensive oil leak into the coolant...most of them I don't remember anymore. I use to know all about that leak but I've forgotten now. I do remember it required lots of cash money to fix.
I once owned a 1996 Dodge CTD 5.9, never had any problems with it, but then it only had 141,xxx miles on it when traded in for a new pickup.
The Cummins ISB is the only medium-duty rated diesel engine ever used as OEM in pickups. It is also OEM in many medium duty trucks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 06-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #13

I dont beleive the ISB is the only medium duty engine used in a pickup. The 6.9 Navistar was used in plenty of medium duty applications and was used in Ford pickups.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I dont beleive the ISB is the only medium duty engine used in a pickup. The 6.9 Navistar was used in plenty of medium duty applications and was used in Ford pickups.
Off-topic, but I did bring it up.

The 6.9 and 7.3 was a light-duty engine developed for Ford. I had a 1987 3/4T Ford, doggy diesel engine.

Only the 7.3 was used in medium-duty trucks.

Tags
cummins