Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Cummins Emission Recall Campaign

I just received a recall letter from Cummins that a new campaign is under way. The recall affects certain ISL9's. The campaign does not give a number but itemizes two issues and 1 informational extended warranty item:

1) Emission Improvement Calibration Campaign, and
2) SCR Recall Campaign

The letter also informs me that I may be eligible for extended warranty on the turbocharger actuator for 10 years/185,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Has anyone else received a letter similar to this?
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
I just received a recall letter from Cummins that a new campaign is under way. The recall affects certain ISL9's. The campaign does not give a number but itemizes two issues and 1 informational extended warranty item:

1) Emission Improvement Calibration Campaign, and
2) SCR Recall Campaign

The letter also informs me that I may be eligible for extended warranty on the turbocharger actuator for 10 years/185,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Has anyone else received a letter similar to this?
Our ISl9 is a 2015 manufactures date and no, not as of yet
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did get the recall, hope its a quick job. Ha ha.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Got mine today.....My concern, they're going to detune the engine to meet specs. It says California may not register the vehicle without the recall being done. In the same batch of mail, I got my new registration. Nothing about the recall.....so far.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #5

Hey guys.....if you can, could one of you that has received the recall Campaign Letter attach a copy of it here.

I'm currently between homes and can't count on the post office delivering mine.

It shows the open Campaign on the Cummins Quickserve website for those owners affected, but make sure you call ahead to the Cummins shop you intend to use because the new SCR cannisters have to be ordered by the shop.

Both the ISC 8.3 and ISL9 are involved in the recall and according to a friend of mine that has competed the replacement, it was about a 2.5 hour job from start to finish.

Thanks.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

I was under the impression that the recall was voluntary and not really required outside of California??
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach has a 2012 model year engine and although I haven't received a notice I spoke to Cummins and they said our engine is in fact on the list for the SCR replacement depending on the part # of the existing SCR. They asked that I bring it in so they could identify the part # of the existing SCR, then they would order the proper replacement part and install it. I climbed under the coach found the part # stamped on the top of the SCR and contacted the local Cummins repair center and they ordered the part and will contact me when it arrives. That saves me a trip to the facility and I'll just wait while it gets replaced.

Question for anyone who has had the SCR replaced, have you noticed any difference in the performance, fuel economy, etc after it was replaced?
Don
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don and Kim: Could you help us identify the SCR so we can find the part number? Pictures would help or a diagram.

Thank you.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I found the document that details the replacement on the Cummins website. It is Campaign C2112
(You need to register w/Cummins and have your engine serial # to be able to log in to their website) (Our Tiffin has all the serial numbers listed in the rear closet)

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

The SCR is the large stainless muffler looking object, just ahead of the tailpipe.

Here's a link to an Ebay auction that has some pix of what the device looks like.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-SCR...MAAOSwMv5bYce~
The second pix shows the part # stamped into the top of the case. The bottom number in the pix is 2871621 would be the part # that is required by Cummins. In the Cummins C2112 document there are 2 attachments, The second attachment has a list of all the SCR part #'s that are part of the replacement campaign. If your part # is listed in the left column then it is on the list to be replaced. The part # on the right column is the new part # that Cummins will replace it with.
Hope that all makes sense..... Don
Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Update...... I had the repair done today at the Cleveland,OH area Cummins service center. They said to plan on 6 hrs, so I took some reading material as I planned on waiting for the repair. The repair took less than 2 hrs. Since they finished so quickly I also had them update the ECM software, (ours was not the most current) and had them quote replacing the front engine seal as it was leaking oil slightly. They said they would be able to do the repair today so I gave them the ok and that took 2 more hours and I was back on the road by noon. My initial thoughts are I have not noticed any performance difference on the 45 mile drive home from the replacement of the SCR. The scangauge showed fuel economy to be similar also.

Tags
cummins, recall