Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Cummins in Nashville, TN We have been to Cummins in Columbia, SC and Kenly, NC and both of those shops were great and the mechanics knew their stuff. Do not get that impression at the Nashville shop - especially from the shop manager - several of the mechanics in the shop pulled us aside and told us not to trust him - that he will screw us if he can.
lrodsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
This scares the Hell out of me! I would ask Cummin's to disclose there warranty, & who is responsible for what. A new engine with a cracked air filter, & a 6 month old belt flying off sounds mighty suspect. If I could buy a insurance policy for 1300.00 dollars, this might scare me in that direction!

I think as posted above, contact Cummin's customer service for help. It sounds like you certainly need it. I think that I would start taking pictures of before & after work for future reference.

Good Luck!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #17

$4000.00 for a Holset HX40 turbo? Retail is less than $1000.00 - its the same one on all the ISB's and Dodge Trucks w/the 5.9 cummins engine it.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #18

Send a letter as previously described to Tom Linebarger at Cummins, Inc. He will direct an inquiry. Cummins at that level takes honest customer complaints seriously. I know whom he will direct to make an inquiry on this matter. No promises. Absolutely do not act or write in a threatening manner. As previously stated, represent the facts as you know them, offer to supply any documents that support the troubleshooting and repairs.

I believe the corporate officers are now headquartered in Indianapolis. You can still send your letter to him at 500 Jackson St. Columbus, IN 47201
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #19

What a mess. What engine are you dealing with? Get some help with this, it is beyond what you can do to get results.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #20

Do exactly what Spike45 said and do it ASAP.

This can be solved if the right people look at it.

Good luck.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
update

We have had the 3rd engine installed and to cover us - we are changing the engine oil every 5000 miles instead of the recommended 10,000/12,000 miles. We are also having the oil analyzed every single time. The first oil sample out of the brand new engine came back yet again with dirt in it!!! Cummins said they went through and sealed our air system to make sure no dirt was getting in and we put yet another air filter on. In Jan. 11 we were on our way to Florida and our RV tech was with us for this trip. He has been racking his brain trying to figure this out and suddenly the lights turned on! He put the slide out in the back bedroom and went to the nightstand behind the slide. It has a false drawer front on it. He pulled the drawer covers off and there laid out air intake system NEVER HOOKED UP from the factory!! The clamp was laying off to the side and the hose was suctioned against the wall of the night stand!! Our engine has been getting unfiltered air in it and was starving for what air it could get! Our RV service manager contacted Coachmen and explained what has happened and they just said sorry you are out of warranty - not their problem. This entire mess has led to a constant chain of events. This week we ended up stranded on the road (thankfully only 6 miles from Cummins in SC) and had to be towed in. Air Compressor died. They said that all the dirt that was going through our engine also got into that compressor and it should have been changed out too. We are members of Good Sam so I am going to send all of this mess to their action line and see if they can get Coachmen to do anything. I am doubtful though. We have spent so much money on this thing that it has drained us financially and now don't have the funds to get out of it. We have literally spent about $55,000 on repairs in the past 2 years alone.
lrodsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodsangel View Post
We have had the 3rd engine installed and to cover us - we are changing the engine oil every 5000 miles instead of the recommended 10,000/12,000 miles. We are also having the oil analyzed every single time. The first oil sample out of the brand new engine came back yet again with dirt in it!!! Cummins said they went through and sealed our air system to make sure no dirt was getting in and we put yet another air filter on. In Jan. 11 we were on our way to Florida and our RV tech was with us for this trip. He has been racking his brain trying to figure this out and suddenly the lights turned on! He put the slide out in the back bedroom and went to the nightstand behind the slide. It has a false drawer front on it. He pulled the drawer covers off and there laid out air intake system NEVER HOOKED UP from the factory!! The clamp was laying off to the side and the hose was suctioned against the wall of the night stand!! Our engine has been getting unfiltered air in it and was starving for what air it could get! Our RV service manager contacted Coachmen and explained what has happened and they just said sorry you are out of warranty - not their problem. This entire mess has led to a constant chain of events. This week we ended up stranded on the road (thankfully only 6 miles from Cummins in SC) and had to be towed in. Air Compressor died. They said that all the dirt that was going through our engine also got into that compressor and it should have been changed out too. We are members of Good Sam so I am going to send all of this mess to their action line and see if they can get Coachmen to do anything. I am doubtful though. We have spent so much money on this thing that it has drained us financially and now don't have the funds to get out of it. We have literally spent about $55,000 on repairs in the past 2 years alone.

And what has your attorney recommended from this point forward.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #23

Time to hold some ones feet to the fire. This is crazy!! Coachman owes big time!!
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a smililar problem with another company (although not for that much money). I wrote two very detailed letters, containing nothing but facts...no opinions, threats, snide comments...just facts...names, dates, times, places, costs, items replaced, etc. In their first response, it was clear by their wording of their form letter, that they did not even read my letter. Their second response was not much better in that they disapproved my request, but for the totally wrong reasons...indicating they did not understand or comprehend my points. So for my third letter, I prepared a paper like an Army decision paper...cover letter, very briefly describing the history of this problem, then, at Tab A...first issue, at Tab B...second issue, at Tab C...third issue, and on down the list. The last tab was my request. This was sent higher up the chain of command by registered mail, return receipt requested. I never did hear from this letter, but a huge credit appeared on my master card...the full amount requested.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down I'm soooo mad

Now, this posts is not easy to understand. You are so patient. I hope we hear the solution to this problem soon. Hard to believe, that companies built something like this?! Now I will have a memory bank in my head full of bad stuff about that RV Manufacturer and the action he will (must) take soon.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodsangel View Post
..... He pulled the drawer covers off and there laid out air intake system NEVER HOOKED UP from the factory!! The clamp was laying off to the side and the hose was suctioned against the wall of the night stand!! Our engine has been getting unfiltered air in it and was starving for what air it could get! Our RV service manager contacted Coachmen and explained what has happened and they just said sorry you are out of warranty - not their problem. ........
out of warrenty?? that was their response!! I'd told them that aint gonna cut it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Should of bought a warranty maybe? Good Sams are about $1400 for basic and $1800 for full coverage.
They don't cover this type of damage. Wear is not covered and (I'm guessing here as I haven't read their contract) neither are the filters. I do know that if a covered part is damaged by a non-covered part then neither part is covered.
And preexisting conditions aren't covered either. Poor workmanship isn't covered either and blowing out an air filter to "clean" it is just stupid! Filters are cheap, engines are not!

How could Cummins have tested the intake system and not found the disconnected air intake?

And another reason I do ALL my own maintenance!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Am I the only one having a hard time with this fiasco? You are on your third engine and changing the oil every 5000 miles and analyzed is supposed to make a difference? Something has to be missing in this deal, nobody could have screwed up that bad and held me responsible. After the 2nd engine, it would have been sitting in their yard while I and my attorney filed all the papers.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote