Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
FW

Cummins fault 434

Hi All; This code (434) is from using the onboard diagnostic switch.
According to the list I have, it means "unswitched battery supply circuit".
Does that mean a supply circuit that is directly from the battery, not the ignition switch?

Thanks in advance

FW
FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi FW,
Go to ~~~~~School Bus Mechanic: Cummins Engine Repair- ISC Engine Code 434 and read the narrative along side the pictures. It seems power to the ECM is provided directly from the batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

Where is the "onboard diagnostic switch" I am unaware of that feature on my 2002 DSDP Cummins ISC? Would like to learn about that.

Al
traderAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
FW

Traderal; On the left of my dash and down is a row of 6 switches (gen start, fog lights, air dump, etc.) with the diagnostic button the 6th from the left.
I push and hold, turn ignition to on(not starting), all lights will do there normal check and go out. If the warning and stop engine lights return and stay lit then there are no codes to read. If they start blinking, the warning lite will stay lit and the stop engine light will blink the code (four blinks a short pause three blinks a short pause four blinks a long pause repeat 434). There are some rigs that using the accelerator some way will do the same thing.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
FW

GaryKD; After going to the link, I checked all the battery connections and while taking them off a connector with three wires going to it almost fell apart. The only way it stayed together was the electrical tape. It easily came apart when I removed the tape. I repaired it by making three single connectors instead of one large connector.
I won't know if I corrected the problem until I drive it again.
I'm waiting on a work assignment.
Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks, FW. My coach doesn't seem to have that switch. I have heard that some MH's can retrieve the error codes by pushing the turn signal lever. Mine doesn't seem to have that either. I am still searching for a way to read out the error codes for my Cummins ISC on a Spartan chassis..

Hope you get your error code solved.

Al
traderAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
FW

I just traveled 200 miles without a hiccup. This is the first time in the last 6 months. Maybe it is fixed.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
FW

Hi All; Another 120 miles and no hiccup. Seems to be ok now.

Tags
cummins