Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Cummins Fined, & Recalling Engines

Read the following iin an online RV newsletter:
"Cummins, Inc, will pay a $2.1 million fine and recall 405 engines under a settlement agreement regarding the Clean Air Act. From 1998 to 2006, the company shipped more than 570,000 heavy duty diesel engines without pollution equipment included."

I don't know what specific engines are involved, or any other details... Only info I was able to find indicates only 405 engines may be involved ...somehow slipped through w/o proper equipment installed?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I can only hope I have one .
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am a victim of this "recall". No you don't want to have one of these engines. Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/warn...5-a-56022.html and read the sad story. The engines are being recalled only to replace the neat pass through muffler with a gigantic "after treatment" device. It took two guys (experienced) 3 hours a cutting torch and welder to get the job done. Every time I fill up, with fuel, I think about the 6/10 MPG I lost with this campaign.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I am a victim of this "recall". No you don't want to have one of these engines. Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/warn...5-a-56022.html and read the sad story. The engines are being recalled only to replace the neat pass through muffler with a gigantic "after treatment" device. It took two guys (experienced) 3 hours a cutting torch and welder to get the job done. Every time I fill up, with fuel, I think about the 6/10 MPG I lost with this campaign.

400 motors walked out the door unequipped......sounds like a load of malarky
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is a video from Cummins explaining the exhaust items in question. Cummins diesel exhaust video You might as well put a cork at the end of your tailpipe.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #6

If you can get a complete exact copy of the recall directly from the NHTSA site, it might be worth it to see when it expires. A recall requires a company to repair a defect, but I've never seen one that applied directly to an end consumer. I had an exhaust recall on a CAT C-7 that I felt was a joke, and would potentially cause more problems than if I did not complete it. I just didn't bring it in, and eventually the recall expired. The only hammer they might have is to refuse to do further updates until this one is done. Checking the exact wording of the recall might give you some clue on what you can and can't do.

I haven't completely researched it, but that might be my initial impression of a way to go if uou didn't want to go through this mess.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Here is a video from Cummins explaining the exhaust items in question. Cummins diesel exhaust video You might as well put a cork at the end of your tailpipe.
Superslif, I believe this link is to the new 2010 DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) treatment required by the new 2010 engines. This has nothing to do with the recall campaign that I know of. DEF has drawn a lot of interest, but it's not retroactive to earlier engines. My 2008 for example has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), and entirely different method of exhaust gas management.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
From an automotive press article:

Quote:
The EPA and the Justice Department complaint alleges that Cummins shipped 570k heavy-duty diesel engines to OEM customers between 1998 and 2006 without the emissions-control systems that make them Clean Air Act-compliant. It’s not even clear clear that the crud-controlling gear is missing. The paperwork is. Cummins spokesfolks admit that 405 (or about .7 percent) of those engines never received documentation that shows they were fitted with the appropriate emissions-control systems.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cummins is in an awkward position on EPA compliance. They build the engine and test to EPA specs when the engine is installed in the manner they prescribe, but they aren't actually installing the engine in the chassis that goes out on the road. That means they are not providing or installing the exhaust system and that is what is at issue here. In this case, either the installer left off the required catalytic converter or failed to provide documentation to establish that it was installed, so the EPA insists that Cummins recall those engines and verify or repair as needed. Apparently at least some of the 405 did not get the required devices, so Cummins is paying a hefty fine. It would be more fair to fine the installer, but I think EPA does not want to get into that - they are requiring the engine manufacturer to do the policing for them. You can bet there will now be another layer of bureaucracy at the chassis manufacturer and at Cummins to make sure this doesn't happen again. And you and I will pay for it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
EPA went after Detroit Diesel and International several years ago using the same logic. The engine people build, test and certify according to the rules EPA prescribes, which is for a laboratory situation. Then EPA injects additional criteria after the fact and finds them out of compliance in real world operations. Cat pulled out of the "On Road" diesel market because of EPA requirements. Is Cummins the next target for the anti-diesel regulators at the EPA. Yes, this may be political but I spent too many years in the trucking industry watching it be regulated to death not to have developed a strong, first amendment protected opinion!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #11

The DPF engines mentioned above (basically engines built 2007 and later) have to be assembled and bench tested w/the DPF installed, and then run thru the "regeneration" process of the Filter to show that the installed apparatus meets specs when it leaves Cummins' shop. I'm guessing Cummins then removes the DPF from whatever plumbing they use for the test, and ships the two separately to the vehicle assembler. Vehicle assemblers chose the plumbing between the turbo outfall and the DPF, location for the DPF and its bracketing,...

My understanding of the 0925 recall is that Cummins "met" the EPA criteria for some ISL engines by tweaking their test methods instead of tweaking their engine input parameters &/or aftertreatment. This resulted in some cases of an engine that achieved 10+mpg in a motorhome application (wouldn't that be sweet?), and that the recall was mandatory whenever the rig came in for service @ Cummins (i.e. the owner had no choice if Cummins was doing service, and Cummins didn't either). This meant some rigs got revised ECU programming (putting them down in the 8+mpg) and maybe the cataclysmic converter as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The DPF engines mentioned above (basically engines built 2007 and later) have to be assembled and bench tested w/the DPF installed, and then run thru the "regeneration" process of the Filter to show that the installed apparatus meets specs when it leaves Cummins' shop. I'm guessing Cummins then removes the DPF from whatever plumbing they use for the test, and ships the two separately to the vehicle assembler. Vehicle assemblers chose the plumbing between the turbo outfall and the DPF, location for the DPF and its bracketing,...

My understanding of the 0925 recall is that Cummins "met" the EPA criteria for some ISL engines by tweaking their test methods instead of tweaking their engine input parameters &/or aftertreatment. This resulted in some cases of an engine that achieved 10+mpg in a motorhome application (wouldn't that be sweet?), and that the recall was mandatory whenever the rig came in for service @ Cummins (i.e. the owner had no choice if Cummins was doing service, and Cummins didn't either). This meant some rigs got revised ECU programming (putting them down in the 8+mpg) and maybe the cataclysmic converter as well.
I wonder how the REQUIRED update would apply to a non-Cummins (independent) shop? You don't have to go to a Cummins dealer or repair facility to get a Cummins update or service bulletin taken care of.

Anybody know?

John
Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,
The reason the shops are jumping on this is that Cummins is paying them handsomely to do it on every engine they can find. How this affects an independent shop I do not know. Gut feel says they want the $s as much as the certified service center. The tasks to do this job are not rocket science.

I got a call from every Cummins Service Center I ever had any engine work done. The all wanted me to come right over and get the recall done. They would take me right in, no waiting.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #14

Gary,

How did it feel to be the most popular girl at the dance? LOL. I'd imagine if one were adamant about getting what you wanted done and what you didn't want done, you could probably push it through, but you would rapidly lose a lot of that popularity.

As a lot of forum contributors have said, some of the things these companies want to do are not for your betterment, but for theirs. Thanks to places like these forums, we can get more information about stuff like this before we get it done rather than after the fact. Thanks for keeping the info flowing.

John