RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Cummins Fuel System

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've discovered that I don't know what kind of fuel system I have on our 95 Patriot with a Cummins 6CTA8.3 engine. Is it a CAPS or something else? I thought I knew.
The reason I ask is that I have been collecting info regarding changing the failure-prone electric lift pump in CAPS fuel systems with a FASS pump. My intent was to replace the stock pump. However, I have never been able to hear anything run for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned on, as I had been told to expect. So I never have located said electric pump.
The final straw that has confused me totally was that while troubleshooting a hard-starting problem at Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield CA 2 weeks ago, the mobile tech from Meyer's Diesel found a loose and slightly leaking fuel intake hose to the lift pump (how a 90deg fitting on the end of a hose gets loose where it goes into the pump is beyond my understanding, but that's another issue). He removed and resealed it, solving the problem.
He had removed the primary fuel filter to check for blockage, and when he was installing the new one, he began to fill it with clean diesel. When I asked him why he didn't just let the electric lift pump fill it, he patiently explained that I had a mechanical lift pump. He even showed me where the manual priming pump button was located on it (on the side of the pass side engine block). Did I feel....uhhh... a tad stupid??
So, what kind of fuel pump system do I have?

BTW, Meyers' Diesel Repair dispatched Raul to our location (30 miles from them) withing 1/2 hour of my call, and only charged me $1.50 per mile plus his time on the road and at our site. They were very supportive; the tech knew what he was doing, and I can heartily recommend them if you need help in the Bakersfield CA area in the future. The coach started and ran flawlessly after his ministrations. Their number is 661 615-1200, and they are located in the NW outskirts of Bakersfield at 9606 Enos Lane (Hwy 43).

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #2

I'll take a WAG at this and say given the year model you are running a mechanical 8.3. Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine+ID+Plate.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	158112 You should be able to confirm this by locating your engine spec plate around the timing cover.
If it gives you peace of mind, have a marine grade electric fuel pump installed nearest to the fuel tank.
I had an older mechanical diesel that was prone to lose prime in the fuel system, never figured out why, no leaks no fuel in oil, installed the electric fuel pump, issue solved.
The attached picture is what you are looking for.

Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Yes, it's a mechanical 8.3, so I guess it's just like my old Ford Lehman diesel in my Grand Banks Trawler that has a cam-operated lift pump feeding a gear-driven injection pump. Yes?

Thanks for responding
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might check to see if the Cummins Quickserve site supports your year coach.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Once you register you input your engine SN. If it accepts the SN the site can provide a wealth of information including parts diagrams and maintenance information.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

You have a P-7100 fuel pump and a mechanical lift pump. Those pumps are an inline pump. They are what is called the 'million mile pump'. I have the P-7100 and I have at this time 315k miles on it with the original lift pump. Just as an FYI, that pump is the least expensive to get more power out of too!
You don't need to add a FASS or any other type of lift pump. IF you need to change the fuel filter on the road, you don't need to fill it with fuel (it will save time and effort if you do). Just open the bleeder and pump the primer button (it will feel like 1000 times or more) until you have fuel coming out of the bleeder.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the very helpful responses. As long as I've owned this coach (3 years), I'm embarrassed to admit that I know less about the drive train than any other vehicle I ever owned. Thanks for the help.
BTW, MnTom, where is the bleeder? On the P-7100 like it is on the Lucas injection pump on the boat? I assume also that without pre-filling the filter, it takes a lot of cranking to fill it, which is probably hard on the starter.

Andy
Old 04-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

We had a Newmar London Aire in 95 with this same engine and fuel system. At that time we added a Banks Power Pack system with fuel plate, EGT-Boost gauges and exhaust and I think it ran as well as our Essex with 500 ISM on 6 plus % grades. If you are looking for more power this engine and fuel system, without a lot money, or time will make a big difference. Boost went from 20 to 30 but the EGT gauge is a must.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd stage View Post
Thanks for all the very helpful responses. As long as I've owned this coach (3 years), I'm embarrassed to admit that I know less about the drive train than any other vehicle I ever owned. Thanks for the help.
BTW, MnTom, where is the bleeder? On the P-7100 like it is on the Lucas injection pump on the boat? I assume also that without pre-filling the filter, it takes a lot of cranking to fill it, which is probably hard on the starter.

Andy
There should be a bleeder right on top of the fuel filter. Far as using the starter to fill the filter...... I would not recommend it. Use the primer button that the service tech showed you. If you want morepower the only thing you would be required to buy (in my opinion) is an EGT gauge. The fuel plate can be re-ground (or even eliminated) and the rest are adjustments.

Tags
cummins, fuel