Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Cummins Hydraulic fan control

My radiator fan has started to run all the time.

It is not supposed to.

I think I have figured it out.

I believe the Air Inlet Fan Temp sensor is no longer working.

I believe this symbol is for a diode, but have forgotten how to read it, I believe the current flows in the direction of the arrow inside the symbol??? Help??? That does not make sense as as there are arrows pointing in both directions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had to replace the variable hydraulic control on mine this spring. It had failed and ran 100% fulltime. However, that's an ISL with side radiator and a purely hydraulic fan. I think you have a mechanical "C" engine (8.3L) with a direct drive fan and a clutch for fan speed control? That's what a friend's 2000 Dream has anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I had to replace the variable hydraulic control on mine this spring. It had failed and ran 100% fulltime. However, that's an ISL with side radiator and a purely hydraulic fan. I think you have a mechanical "C" engine (8.3L) with a direct drive fan and a clutch for fan speed control? That's what a friend's 2000 Dream has anyway.
My fan is also hydraulic, with no direct link to the engine other than hoses.

When power is supplied to the fan solenoid it slows down as it should.

I believe the air inlet temperature sensor has been locate, I need to go look in the engine compartment and see if there are red, green and yellow wires foming from it.

See below, note in the upper left corner a sensor screwed into the air inlet. The name had me fooled was looking for a sensor around the fan.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

I have the isl 8.9 engine with the side radiator. When my fan started to run all the time, they found the Direct fan controller had gone bad. It is a 3x3 box that sits on the back side of the radiator. My temps ran 175 to 179. Now my temps run 195 to 199.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I have the isl 8.9 engine with the side radiator. When my fan started to run all the time, they found the Direct fan controller had gone bad. It is a 3x3 box that sits on the back side of the radiator. My temps ran 175 to 179. Now my temps run 195 to 199.
I do not believe I have that controller♠.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok...I'm sure everyone is waiting with batted breath.

I did find the Air Inlet Temperature Sensor

and it did have the correct color coded wires.

I have said this before, I love weather pack connectors, you can make up what ever you need, they can be taken apart and rebuild another way. In this case I needed to connect the red and yellow wires to test if the Air Inlet Temperature Sensor was the problem.

This is the shut plug I made up.

And now for the test, I fired up the engine with the sensor unplugged, the fan ran full speed, I plugged in my shut plug and the fan slowed right down.

Success.

So now is the question will the fan run up to speed when the coolant reaches 195?

Strangely enough I cannot answer that.

I ran the engine at 1,500 RPM for 30 minutes and the temperature gauge never went above 170. I let it run while I greased every grease fitting under the Motor Home, still never went above 170. I loaded the Motor Home with stuff for our trip to Bowling Green, still did not go above 170.

I took the Motor Home for a drive all the way around the outer loop of Rochester (30 miles) still did not go above 170.

I started to suspect the gauge was bad, drove to my home and got an infrared heat gun, and went all over the engine. The highest temperature I got was 175.

I have said in the past this radiator and fan are huge. Apparently on a 75 degree day the fan running at slow speed moves enough air to keep the engine cool.

The real test will come when we drive to Bowling Green pulling the trailer.

It is a simple fix to get the fan to come back on if it does over heat, just remove the shut plug.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Good diagnostic work! And thanks for the feedback on the problem.

Is that a side radiator configuration I see in the coach picture in your signature? Have not seen a older Dream with a side rad.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Good diagnostic work! And thanks for the feedback on the problem.

Is that a side radiator configuration I see in the coach picture in your signature? Have not seen a older Dream with a side rad.

Yes I have a side radiator.

And the radiator behind the grill is huge (there is the A/C condenser, A transmission cooler, An inter cooler for the air, and in back of all that running the full length and height of the compartment is the radiator).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Overheating

I have a similar configuration, 1998 American Eagle, Cummins, side radiator. You mentioned the air temp sensor, did you raise the bed to get to it or is it accessable from the rear?
I changed the thermostats, cleaned the radiator fins and doing a fresh flush and fill, have not had a chance to test but I do not think I have solved the overheating issue.
Thanks
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
I have a similar configuration, 1998 American Eagle, Cummins, side radiator. You mentioned the air temp sensor, did you raise the bed to get to it or is it accessable from the rear?
I changed the thermostats, cleaned the radiator fins and doing a fresh flush and fill, have not had a chance to test but I do not think I have solved the overheating issue.
Thanks
The air temperature sensor is the easiest component of the whole system to get to. I am sure glad that it turned out to be the problem.

Yes, raise the bed, lift the engine compartment lid, it is in the 90 degree elbow that feeds the intake.

If you kneel between the bed and passenger side wall and look at the top of the engine you will be looking right at it.

The fan defaults to run full bore, you have to supply 12 volts to the fan solenoid in order to slow the fan down. If the fan is running full bore with the engine at 1,000 RPM it should suck a piece of cardboard to the side grill of the radiator and hold it there and resist being removed. It also makes a lot of noise. If the engine compartment lid is up you will be blowing air all around the bedroom.

If you are having an overheating problem it should not be the sensors (if they have failed the fan runs full out).

For overheat, I would look at a air lock in the engine (there are a three bleeder hoses to remove air bubbles in my engine, remove one at a time from the expansion tank and make sure there is water coming out of them and not clogged).

Make sure the water pump is pumping (I have no idea how you would do that (remove the inlet hose to the radiator and see if water is gushing out)).

Make sure the radiator is not clogged, remove the outlet hose and water should gush out.

To do those check you might have to remove the thermostat.

I am talking off the cuff here, I have done no investigation on how do do these tests.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My '04 Tradition has a similar side rad. I knew the Eagle had a side rad in those years, but thought the Dreams were all rear radiator. I have a pal with a 2000 Dream and he has an 8.3L Cummins ISC engine and rear rad. Ditto for a guy I know with a 99. Wonder if there was an engine or chassis upgrade option, with the "L" engine and side radiator available as part of the upgrade? Do you have a Gillig chassis, or maybe a Spartan Mountain Master?

Thanks for all the detailed info. I've learned something new today!
Old 09-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
My '04 Tradition has a similar side rad. I knew the Eagle had a side rad in those years, but thought the Dreams were all rear radiator. I have a pal with a 2000 Dream and he has an 8.3L Cummins ISC engine and rear rad. Ditto for a guy I know with a 99. Wonder if there was an engine or chassis upgrade option, with the "L" engine and side radiator available as part of the upgrade? Do you have a Gillig chassis, or maybe a Spartan Mountain Master?

Thanks for all the detailed info. I've learned something new today!
The original purchaser of this Motor Home paid for the Gillig Chassis upgrade and for the upgrade from 300 HP to 325HP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #13

Nice detective work, and I also thank you of sharing the approach and the results... These are the kinds of posts that can really help people in the future, as they are in 'What the heck is going on?' mode problem solving!

Best, and travel safe and cool,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #14
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Nice detective work, and I also thank you of sharing the approach and the results... These are the kinds of posts that can really help people in the future, as they are in 'What the heck is going on?' mode problem solving!

Best, and travel safe and cool,
Smitty
Thank You, I'm learning a lot about RVs, if you like problem solving take a look at my projects thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
cummins, fan