Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cummins ISB motor over heating

While traveling near Palm Springs I was going up some hills and had a High Temp alarm go off
coolant got to 221 and then the alarm went off at the top of the hill and on the flat highways normal is running about 204
the outside temp during this was about a 100 Megs, Recently since I’ve had similar results I had the coolant changed and flushed the radiator and cleaned and
flushed the radiator fins them self, Any suggestions as to why I’m getting them high temps
these hills are slight not even enough to slow that much maybe going up at 45 and revs are 2300
the bigger hills with 6 degs are my worry

2008 Discovery 40X
cummins ISB
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 AM   #2

Just a thought but my experience with a similar situation was that the pump that pushed fluid to the hydraulic fan was failing and eventually failed.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
High outside temps, long long hills, been there, partial plugged CAC/Rad, going to fast, not downshifting soon enough. 221d is not that high, boiling point but cooling system s/b under pressure, so boil over in higher.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
High outside temps, long long hills, been there, partial plugged CAC/Rad, going to fast, not downshifting soon enough. 221d is not that high, boiling point but cooling system s/b under pressure, so boil over in higher.
I'm not sure what CAC is Rad I assume is radiator ??
I called cummins and they said something about shutter
I don't think I have shutters sounds to me like something you might find on a
truck, I had several more hill after the first one and I babied it up to keep the temps down was able by going really slow and revs up to keep it to 220 max
I know its not that hot but it should not be that sensitive to those hills
I know Im taking it to Cummins when I get home I can't have this problem continuing, I have many more big hills to climb but I hope not in 100 megs temp
Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

We lost a hydraulic pump in that same area.

Was this a one-time event? Consider the possibility that the radiator was temporarily blocked by a grocery bag or other road debris.

I gave our radiator/CAC a thorough cleaning with hose and brush, and got a quart jar full of debris out of it. This after several flushes from the exterior with a hose.

Matt B
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Could be a leaking fan clutch, call Freightliner Tech support for their advice. 800 385 4357.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I called Cummins

Cummins said
my fan hub is electric
and they suggested low coolant level or coolant sensor loose or bad
I'm told the coolant sensor is in the top of the reservoir and going up a hill it will show no coolant, I doubt this, the hill is a gradual climb.
Going to take it to Cummins and have them check it out
I'll let you know what they come up with if anything.

Thanks for all for the help
Old 05-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the same problem with my 08 Fleetwood ISB, about 30 K miles. Took it to Cummins in South Sacramento. They changed my thermostat and some other stuff, then called me and told me it was the electric fan hub, which was a Freightliner part. As it was a Freightliner they would not replace it. Limped to Sac Truck (Freightliner Dealer) for repair. I was told this was a common part failure. Sac Truck was awesome, I highly recommend them. This was 3 years and about 20 K more miles with no problems.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks great Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMO View Post
I had the same problem with my 08 Fleetwood ISB, about 30 K miles. Took it to Cummins in South Sacramento. They changed my thermostat and some other stuff, then called me and told me it was the electric fan hub, which was a Freightliner part. As it was a Freightliner they would not replace it. Limped to Sac Truck (Freightliner Dealer) for repair. I was told this was a common part failure. Sac Truck was awesome, I highly recommend them. This was 3 years and about 20 K more miles with no problems.
I'm going to take it to LA Freighliner locate need me
I've heard lots of suggestions and this sounds the best so far.
Talked to Fleetwood, Cummins and Freightliner
all suggested Freightliner except Cummins
but they did say Thermostat and maybe coolant level no enough
so well see when I get back from my trips
Thans again
I do think it is one or the other of those 2 if not both
Old 05-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

I have overheat light on a lot of hills near Las Vegas. The temp comes right down once I top the hill. I downshift to keep rpm between 1900-2000 rpm. I have washed out the radiator/CAC/oil cooler and didn't really get anything out.

This week, I'm going to attempt a cooling system flush and thermostat replacement.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is where a good Exhaust Temperature Gage (EGT) comes in handy troubleshooting problems like this. A good boost gage is helpfull two. When running on any hill, if you can't accelerate in a gear you need to downshift till you can. Keep engine rpm's up to help cool your engine.
The first time I ran into that problem was on a similar long slow grade. I was running with the cruise on and suddenly the hi temp warning started to go off.
Checking my gages showed the problem. The cruise was able to maintain speed but had maxed boost to do it driving up temperatures. I dropped out of cruise and dropped to 4th to cool the engine. With my engine at 2500 rpm it didn't take long to drop the temps.

Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
This is where a good Exhaust Temperature Gage (EGT) comes in handy troubleshooting problems like this. A good boost gage is helpfull two. When running on any hill, if you can't accelerate in a gear you need to downshift till you can. Keep engine rpm's up to help cool your engine.
The first time I ran into that problem was on a similar long slow grade. I was running with the cruise on and suddenly the hi temp warning started to go off.
Checking my gages showed the problem. The cruise was able to maintain speed but had maxed boost to do it driving up temperatures. I dropped out of cruise and dropped to 4th to cool the engine. With my engine at 2500 rpm it didn't take long to drop the temps.

Bill
I always gear down and try to keep the RPM around the 22 to 2500 but still climbs, as soon as I reach the top it cools, I also have a hot exhaust signal and it didn't go off as it did years ago if I pulled a long hill but engine never go hot
this time no hot exhaust alarm. I'm thinking elec fan hub or thermostat
well see how it happens, I'm going to be on the road for another week so i will wait till I get home in case its a multi day job I want to be home.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, did you resolve your overheating issue?
It's helpful to others if you post what fixed it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at Glowshift for a kit to monitor the EGT, Boost and fuel pressure. I like mine. EGT is normally 1050 or less but on hills I have seen it 1250. it goes down as soon as i Let off the fuel.

Also, many months ago I sent pictures of the debris found between the CAC and Rad. That cause some overheating

Tags
cummins, heat, heating

« isb 300 | Fuel »