Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Cummins ISC 8.3 squealing sound

I have a squealing sound that comes and goes on my 2013 Cummins ISC 300hp.
Can't really tell where it's coming from but certainly near the rear of the engine/turbo.

Anyone else experience this?

dtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

Nothing is heard out of the ordinary in the video. On mine, when parked, a shrill sound begins to commence at about 1,000 RPM, it is the turbocharger spooling up, it cannot be heard when driving. I recommend closely inspecting the exhaust manifold for cracks and leaks, also check the manifold gaskets for leaks. You should see the obvious black stain from any such leak or crack. The Cummins ISC engine is known for cracking from supporting the full weight of the turbocharger and associated piping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

Sounds like an intake air leak. Does the squeal go away when you rev it up?? What does it sound like then?
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #4

Squeal comes and goes from just off idle to full throttle.

Was wondering if it has something to do with the egr system...sometimes it will do it when idled at 1000rpm parked then just stop like someone turned a switch.
dtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 AM   #5

Have you had any luck with your noise? I have developed a similar noise I noticed on my way to fla this year. I can only explain it as a rotational noise as a pulley rubbing on a metal cover so to speak. I am going to take my belts off when I get back to fla and check the water pump and pulleys and see if they feel like they are loose or needing replaced. Let me know your progress on this one.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #6

Check all the hump hoses from the intake side of the turbo to the intake itself. sounds like you have a hole in a hump hose or a broken clamp used to secure a hump hose to the hard intake line. I recently changed all of mine and happy I did because while doing so I found one almost worn completely through from rubbing against a coolant line. They were 17 years old and ready for replacement in my mind

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #7

Could be the belt tensioner - you're supposed to change it every few years (Same schedule as the belts). Mine started squealing shortly after I bought the coach - the cost was like $75. One bolt and you're done.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #8

Ok I see two good things here. One is that I know the sound isn't a turbo or suction sound, it is rotational. Anyway the checking of the intake pipes and hoses is a good idea. I keep seeing that people have dusted engines on here and I am surprised to see this. I agree in checking all intake hoses, clamps and pipes, good one!

I will also check the tensioner and other pulleys, water pump etc. They do go bad and I am not used to the noise they make. It won't be till after Christmas but will check when I get back to fla. I will keep posted although it will be several weeks. Thanks everyone!
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #9

Update. I found the rotational noise and it was the... fan bearing hub. Ok yes I know we don't have a fan on the motor but if we did this would be the hub where it would be located. It is also the hub my ac has an additional pulley to run the ac compressor.

I drove coach from Ocala to Myrtle Beach and upon arriving in Myrtle it was worse and easy to find. The pulley was loose to the hand, you could wiggle the pulley.

Now, the ac pulley broke from the oscillation of the bad bearing. Does anyone know where to get this pulley? I haven't searched yet.

Also yes, going to replace the water pump and belt and tensioner while it is home.
2007 Subaru Outback

Tags
cummins