Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #71

Let me know if I get this wrong...

So where do we stand at this point in this thread?

1) We know what the EGT does: It measures the Exhaust Gas Temperature for all 6-cylinders before the Turbo charger. So it is an "average" EGT measurement. ...And the purpose is to warn the driver... who's only action is to... back off the accelerator pedal.

2) More Manifold Pressure implies more air is being forced into each cylinder.
And what caused the turbo to spin faster was more heat produce from more fuel being added by the Ag-Diesel" Power Module #12100. This additional heat can be measured by an EGT... if only I had one. (Maybe I will get one soon.)

3) Review of Before & After I added the #12100 Power Module:

BEFORE / AFTER

346HP / 420HP (+21%)
950 Ft-Lbs / 1086 Ft-Lbs (+14%)
7.2 MPG Ave / 8.2 MPG Ave
24.5 MP / 25.5 MP (Just 1" difference?)
No EGT / No EGT

QUESTIONS:

1) If the +1"MP comes from the turbo spinning faster (above the previous 24" to 24.5" of MP my stock engine produced); then why can't I just keep my MP under 24"-24.5" to keep my EGTs within stock limits? Can I correlate MP with EGT?

This might not be the best way to keep EGT under control, but it sounds like a prudent method until such time as I get an EGT. What do you think?

2) And since excessive EGTs are a function of time, then all I have to do is not accelerate to strongly or for too long. (For example, 10-20 seconds is all I ever need to merge on a freeway.) However, on a steep grade I can see how an EGT gauges would come in handy. What do you think?

3) Comparing the ISC-350 to the ISL-400 (Apples to Apples?) :

If the ISL-400HP engine uses all the same components as my ISC-350; except the ISL has a longer stroke... with the same block, heads, valves, pistons, turbo, exhaust system... only the fuel rail has changed; and this engine is rated at 400HP and produces ???" of MP; when why can't I increase my ISC-350HP to 420HP without worry? I.e, the ISL-400 is not melting pistons or burning valves as some people would have us believe?

4) If the turbo will open the waste gate to protect the engine, then over-boost is not possible. True/False?

5) My stock ISC-350HP torque on the Dyno = 850 ft-lbs... which is much less than the 1050 ft-lbs rated at by Cummins. So on one hand we talk about HP, but everyone says torque is more important. Why?

Note: We already proved the Allison 3000MH can handle 1250 ft-lbs so I'm not talking about transmission input torque concerns.

6) After I "chipped" my engine the torque is 1086, which is practically the same as what Cummins rates my stock ISC-350 at, which is 1050 maximum. So why are some so "flipped-out" over HP increases when my torque is virtually at spec?

Maybe if our very knowledgeable members can address each of these questions, then the rest of us can separate our conservative teachings from the facts.

Specifically, I'm all for being safe. ...And I love the sound of a properly tuned engine! And my experience with lawn mowers, motorcycles, cars and airplanes (VW's on steroids) tells me that all engines that run right... sound right and tight!

7) It seems to me that Cummins could have easily offered an ISC-400, but they choose not to do that for marketing (profit) reasons. Instead, they introduced the ISL-400 which has nothing to do the "L-10" type Cummins engines. Can anyone confirm this? (See notes below.)

My testimonial is this: My ISC-350 sounds like it is running better after I added the Ag-Diesel #1200; and the Dyno says it's running stronger!

I look forward to finding out how the questions above get answered in a constructive and factual manner.

Note: Wikipedia says this:

The ISL 9 and current L9 engines are not related to the L10 engine, but instead based on the smaller C-series platform with the 135mm stroke of the C8.3 enlarged to 144.5mm, together with 4 valves per cylinder, giving it 8.9 litres displacement.

In 2016 onwards, the ISL9 was simplified to L9, though physically it shares no resemblance to the old L10 engine: The current L9 engine is a stroked version of the C8.3 engine platform, while the current M11 engine is a stroked version of the original L10 engine platform.
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #72

Imnprsd,

You can answer these taunts until the cows come home, and they won’t stop. Folks have been successfully hot-rodding diesel engines for decades. The great majority of them have been satisfied with the result and only a tiny percentage ever suffered any unfortunate consequences. On this, or any other forum, you will encounter many PAP’s (Pontificating Apocalypse Predictors). The great majority of them will have had NO personal, hands-on experience and are only parroting what they read on the Internet…but will try to make you out to be a fool. You have researched your modifications, performed them skillfully, and they are successful. You cannot influence a PAP, regardless what facts you present. Let it go.

You seem to understand that EGT has no DIRECT correlation to either valve or piston temperature. Knowing your EGT does not tell you the temperature of either a piston or a valve. Further separating them is the fact that there is no IMMEDIATE correlation between EGT and either piston or valve temperature…it takes TIME for the effects of high EGT show up in valves or pistons.

HOWEVER, as I said before, I don’t think I would make this modification without installing an EGT gage. I’ve done it before, and it’s not a difficult task…the most difficult part being routing the 40-foot long thermocouple cable. And perhaps there are EGT gages now that communicate through common wire. Will you suffer engine damage without an EGT gage? Probably not, although you may find yourself not taking full advantage of your increased HP, and backing off the throttle in cases in which you intelligently suspect your EGT may be rising too high.

I hope you choose to install the EGT gage. Enjoy your modifications…judiciously. I plan to do the same on my own ISC-350, albeit with the installation of an EGT gage. Thank you for your detailed descriptions.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Imnprsd,

You can answer these taunts until the cows come home, and they won’t stop. Folks have been successfully hot-rodding diesel engines for decades. The great majority of them have been satisfied with the result and only a tiny percentage ever suffered any unfortunate consequences. On this, or any other forum, you will encounter many PAP’s (Pontificating Apocalypse Predictors). The great majority of them will have had NO personal, hands-on experience and are only parroting what they read on the Internet…but will try to make you out to be a fool. You have researched your modifications, performed them skillfully, and they are successful. You cannot influence a PAP, regardless what facts you present. Let it go.

You seem to understand that EGT has no DIRECT correlation to either valve or piston temperature. Knowing your EGT does not tell you the temperature of either a piston or a valve. Further separating them is the fact that there is no IMMEDIATE correlation between EGT and either piston or valve temperature…it takes TIME for the effects of high EGT show up in valves or pistons.

HOWEVER, as I said before, I don’t think I would make this modification without installing an EGT gage. I’ve done it before, and it’s not a difficult task…the most difficult part being routing the 40-foot long thermocouple cable. And perhaps there are EGT gages now that communicate through common wire. Will you suffer engine damage without an EGT gage? Probably not, although you may find yourself not taking full advantage of your increased HP, and backing off the throttle in cases in which you intelligently suspect your EGT may be rising too high.

I hope you choose to install the EGT gage. Enjoy your modifications…judiciously. I plan to do the same on my own ISC-350, albeit with the installation of an EGT gage. Thank you for your detailed descriptions.
VEI Systems
These pyrometers use plain wire from sender to meter.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #74

[QUOTE=jcussen;5035480]VEI Systems
These pyrometers use plain wire from sender to meter.[/QUOTE

Jcussen,

THANKS! My last EGT installation was several years ago, and perhaps this was available even then. If it was, I overlooked it. This will surely make my upcoming installation easier!

Do you have any personal experience with this EGT gage?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #75

[QUOTE=Vanwill;5035540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
VEI Systems
These pyrometers use plain wire from sender to meter.[/QUOTE

Jcussen,

THANKS! My last EGT installation was several years ago, and perhaps this was available even then. If it was, I overlooked it. This will surely make my upcoming installation easier!

Do you have any personal experience with this EGT gage?
Yes, have had them on my last 4 coaches, 3 of them with modified ecms. As you mentioned, exhaust temps can rise pretty quick with engine mods and it tells me when to downshift or get my foot out of it.
I have the meter set at 1350 F to alarm which is a flashing display. You do have to supply 12 volts to the sender box connected to the probe in the engine room. Many coaches have a bundle of spare wires that run from the engine area to under the dash, I just found them, and used one of those wires. I put the probe in the exhaust manifold just before the turbo which I think gives a more accurate display, than after the turbo. Had mine on two ISM's and one ISC and one Series 60. Don't believe the ecm can read the EGT on any of these engines, so to me, a wise investment.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #76

[QUOTE=jcussen;5035683]
Quote:
Yes, have had them on my last 4 coaches, 3 of them with modified ecms. As you mentioned, exhaust temps can rise pretty quick with engine mods and it tells me when to downshift or get my foot out of it.
I have the meter set at 1350 F to alarm which is a flashing display. You do have to supply 12 volts to the sender box connected to the probe in the engine room. Many coaches have a bundle of spare wires that run from the engine area to under the dash, I just found them, and used one of those wires. I put the probe in the exhaust manifold just before the turbo which I think gives a more accurate display, than after the turbo. Had mine on two ISM's and one ISC and one Series 60. Don't believe the ecm can read the EGT on any of these engines, so to me, a wise investment.
Always glad to hear from someone who has actual hands-on experience. I'll order one of these shortly. It will be great not to have to deal with that thermocouple wire.

I was always concerned about metal shavings from the drilling and tapping 1/8 NPT for the probe, but talked to lots of folks who had installed them with exhaust manifold installed. No one ever had an issue. I used heavy grease and a vacuum cleaner attachment I made. Had no issues.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #77
TR4

[QUOTE=Vanwill;5035796]
Quote:

Always glad to hear from someone who has actual hands-on experience. I'll order one of these shortly. It will be great not to have to deal with that thermocouple wire.

I was always concerned about metal shavings from the drilling and tapping 1/8 NPT for the probe, but talked to lots of folks who had installed them with exhaust manifold installed. No one ever had an issue. I used heavy grease and a vacuum cleaner attachment I made. Had no issues.

Thanks for the help!!
When I installed my pyrometer, I marked and center punched where I was going to drill. Started the engine and drilled the correct tap drill size. Then countersink the hole to the size of the tap. Shutdown the engine and let it cool. Tap the hole with a good sharp tap covered in grease. Tap the hole in stages, cleaning the tap and applying new grease (I did three stages). Finish up with a pencil magnet.
Make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.

Bill
Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #78

[QUOTE=TR4;5036023]
Quote:

When I installed my pyrometer, I marked and center punched where I was going to drill. Started the engine and drilled the correct tap drill size. Then countersink the hole to the size of the tap. Shutdown the engine and let it cool. Tap the hole with a good sharp tap covered in grease. Tap the hole in stages, cleaning the tap and applying new grease (I did three stages). Finish up with a pencil magnet.
Make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.

Bill
Your process sounds like a great alternative to removing the manifold for drill N tapping. Wish I'd known about it in 1996 when I added a pyrometer to my Dodge CTD 5.9.

BTW, that OEM 5.9 was derated to 180 HP at Dodge's request to Cummins; due to the Dodge automatic transmission limitations(found that out after-the-fact). I had a modified fuel plate put in the injector pump that increased HP to 260. Three months later I was having that AT rebuilt to withstand the HP increase.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #79

Installing an EGT

TR4: Do you have any pictures that show where on the exhaust manifold you installed your EGT?

And I'm not clear about the part you say: "Tap the hole in stages, cleaning the tap and applying new grease (I did three stages)."

By 3-stages do you mean you drilled the hole small and then tapped the hole (larger) to the right thread size in 3-stages? Please clarify.

** If anyone else has a picture of their EGT location... and type of EGT used... please post it.

THANKS!!!

SIDE QUESTION: I'm curious, how much MP do you ISL-400 owners see on your gauge during full acceleration?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #80
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
TR4: Do you have any pictures that show where on the exhaust manifold you installed your EGT?

And I'm not clear about the part you say: "Tap the hole in stages, cleaning the tap and applying new grease (I did three stages)."

By 3-stages do you mean you drilled the hole small and then tapped the hole (larger) to the right thread size in 3-stages? Please clarify.

** If anyone else has a picture of their EGT location... and type of EGT used... please post it.

THANKS!!!

SIDE QUESTION: I'm curious, how much MP do you ISL-400 owners see on your gauge during full acceleration?
First go here;
http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals/45/96381.pdf

To find the center of the port, I used a picture of the manifold to turbo gasket. Like this one,
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CBAC090-C097-4450-A087-F14BB066DA61.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	266907

Resize the image to match the bolt center to center dimensions on your manifold. You can now determine the measurements to the center of the port using the manifold bolts as reference. (Or you can buy a gasket and take measurements)

Tapping in three stages helps to keep the flutes on the tap from building up with metal chips. Using the grease holds the chips in the flutes. Clean tap and grease at each stage.

Maximum boost on my CAPS at full load is 24

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A52D4515-6E60-4DCE-9244-F5B8E39B0E91.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	266908  
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #81

[QUOTE=jcussen;5035683]
Quote:
Jcussen, did you have this particular brand, VEI, of pyrometer on the last four installations you did? I went to the website to order one, and the website is shut down. Cannot get a telephone answer to their listed number.

I'm particularly interested in the "amplified" version of this type product and VEI is the only one I've been able to find. The millivolt output of thermocouples is so tiny that connections are always susceptible to any number of issues that interfere with the accuracy of the pyrometer. It seems to make great sense to amplify that thermocouple junction voltage AT THE SOURCE, then transmit the result to the gage head with ordinary copper wire.

Does anyone know of another manufacturer who makes an "amplified" pyrometer?
Old 11-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #82

[QUOTE=Vanwill;5043342]
Quote:

Jcussen, did you have this particular brand, VEI, of pyrometer on the last four installations you did? I went to the website to order one, and the website is shut down. Cannot get a telephone answer to their listed number.

I'm particularly interested in the "amplified" version of this type product and VEI is the only one I've been able to find. The millivolt output of thermocouples is so tiny that connections are always susceptible to any number of issues that interfere with the accuracy of the pyrometer. It seems to make great sense to amplify that thermocouple junction voltage AT THE SOURCE, then transmit the result to the gage head with ordinary copper wire.

Does anyone know of another manufacturer who makes an "amplified" pyrometer?
I used VEI, also noticed Amazon says currently unavailable so maybe they went out of business.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #83

I installed an Autometer with the extension module. Put the probe right in front of the turbo
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #84

Quote:
VEI Systems
These pyrometers use plain wire from sender to meter.
That's the type gauges I had installed on my '96, 5.9 engine with a modified fuel plate and 5" exhaust system, they worked well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, cummins, upgrade