Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down Cummins ISL 400 hp Power Chip Installation

I have purchased a power chip module (Diesel Power DIGI CR) for a Cummins ISL400 installed in my 2011 Winnebago Tour motorhome (looking for increased performance). My problem is that the 2011 is so new the module manufacturer cannot provide me with clear information on the location of the fuel rail pressure sensor plug. I know it is supposed to be located on the side of the block opposite the exhaust and toward the rear of the coach. Have scoured the motor for hours looking for this "quick" installation. Can anyone help?
JLAppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
JLAppel: I'm thinking your (Allison 3000) tranny is already maxed out for torque, what will this chip do?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #3

You know, all you had to do is find a Cummins man with Pro Plus license for Insite and an INCAL DVD and it takes 10 minutes to reflash the ISL up to 450HP.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
You know, all you had to do is find a Cummins man with Pro Plus license for Insite and an INCAL DVD and it takes 10 minutes to reflash the ISL up to 450HP.
What does that do to torque and MPG?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
hmmmm
where can i find such a person
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
At your Cummins dealer, but it can cost several thousand dollars as an upgraded warranty is included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
hmmmm
where can i find such a person

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Had this done on our previous coach, 370 Cummins in 40ft AC. Major difference in torque and big jump in fuel mileage!
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

I have the 450 ISL 9. It has more torque and the mileage is definitely better. Almost a mpg better. The mid range is really good . My 40 footer running a 65mph will tach 1650 and my mileage runs from 8.7 to 9.2mpg. I like it !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
YC1

I can't help finding it but sure would like a picture when you do and a report. I have a heavy 40 footer and could use some extra power. I changed my engine fan out and gained 1/2-1mpg and a definite increase in acceleration.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

YC1, are you a side radiator? And if you are, what fan brand and where did you find it? $ amount if you don't mind. Also is your fan continuous or on when needed?
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins ISL 400

Thanks for all your input. Finally have solved my problem. It appears as if Cummins changed the fuel sensor adaptor plug. In previous years, the fuel rail sensor was located at the back end of the fuel rail (toward right-side rear of motor) and connected with a Bosch adaptor plug. The current location of the fuel rail sensor is at the center of the fuel rail and has a Deutsh adaptor plug. With the right adaptor, the installation becomes a whole lot easier.
The manufacturer claims an up to 25% gain in horsepower, torque and fuel economy with increased performance without predicataable harm or damage to engine or running gear. The module is produced by Diesel performance, a German company www.dieselperformance.com. I purchased the module from Parleys diesel performance (www.parleysdieselperformance.com) for $799.00 including shipping. Both organizations have been very good to work with and have been quite helpful and patient in working me through this issue.

With respect to the Cummins upgradeto 450 HP, all I have been able to determine is there is little appreciable gain in torgue, fuel economy or performance to warrant the cost of conversion.
JLAppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
YC1, are you a side radiator? And if you are, what fan brand and where did you find it? $ amount if you don't mind. Also is your fan continuous or on when needed?

Rear radiator, Source engineering, about $600 delivered. Sound reduction was phenominal.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
YC1

Any chance you have a picture of the location on the engine where it is installed. If it really makes a noticeable difference as did the fan I would spring for it. Pulling a 5K lb H3 up a hill is ok but I don't set any records. I found it for 600 on another site. Keep us posted.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Reply to YCI

Attached (hopefully) is a picture of the fuel rail sensor on my 2010/2011 Cummins ISL 400. The view is on the side opposite the exhaust looking at the center of the fuel rail. There is a connection at the fuel rail sensor with a short (less than 6") 3 wire pigtail with a Deutsch connector (triangular shaped connector with a wire connection at each corner of the triangle). With the right plug, once the adaptor is located, the job to connect the module between the two Deutsch connectors (male and female ends) is quite easy. Inasmuch as the wire supplied with the module kit is quite lengthy between the fuel rail sensor connector and the module, I plan to run the cable into a rear compartment and mount the module with two sided tape against the wall of the compartment, This will allow me easy access to fine tune the adjustable module to maximum performance. Once it is adjusted to my satisfaction, it will never have to be readjusted thereafter. Good luck!
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower right side middle.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	16282

Name:	pigtail into fuel rail.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	16283

Name:	pigtail to fuel rail.jpg