RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cummins ISL 425 Stop Engine Light On

We're about 8 weeks into a 9 month adventure from Seattle....currently in Charleston, SC headed to Savannah, GA next week. I've gotten a few Stop Engine light conditions recently. The light comes on at random times and stays on until engine shutdown and restart. It may not come on for another hour or two. Using the exhaust brake seems to bring it on. The SPN is 101 with an FMI of 0 (Zero) which is Engine Crankcase Pressure abnormally high, I believe. My ScangaugeD gives me the same info.

I have an appointment to take it to Cummins in Savannah next Tuesday and I'm really hoping it's just time for a crankcase breather filter element to be replaced.

The crankcase filter has never been replaced. I've got 48,000 miles on it. Hoping it's not blowby or other major engine issues.

Any ideas,suggestions, comments? I'm a sponge!

Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Not a big deal to replace the CCV filter on your ISL. Remove engine floor hatch. Filter housing is on top of valve cover secured by 11 small screws. Remove the plastic cover. Pull filter up. I picked up three filters on-line for $75 bucks. Great deal...I know.
I have heard of the ECM throwin a Hi CC pressure fault and replacing CCV filter wasn't the fix. Piston ring blow by.... If your CCV has never been replace in 10-11 yrs its goin be wet. Have a garbage bag to put it in.
If you PM me I can give you a link to another forum that has pixs and instructions on changing the ISL CCV filter.
Hope yours is the fix. Good Luck

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Spent a couple of hours this morning at Cummins Savannah and left cautiously optimistic. They downloaded the history of codes...555 and 556....moderate to severe crankcase pressure. Measured pressures prior to changing the filter as well as after. Sensor was working fine.

Tech wanted to check all the parameters under load so we went for a test drive. I drove and he monitored all his computer data from the stairwell. No blow by issues and no codes. Thanks, Skypilot, for the input Much appreciated!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

As the OP for this thread, I was really hoping I would not have to revisit this issue, but.......
Replacing the crankcase breather filter element, I drove from Savannah, GA to Orlando , across Cajun country and just today, from Austin to Fredericksburg, TX. It's been about 800 miles since the filter change and today, for the first time since the change, I encountered two STOP engine lights. The first was after about an hour of moderately heavy traffic taking advantage of the exhaust brake in stop and go traffic. I know there is some connection between using the exhaust brake and crankcase pressure (higher RPMS, right?). I pulled over, checked the codes (same as before: high crankcase breather pressure) shut down and restarted. The fault cleared itself as before and I drove for another hour without using the exhaust brake and no light until approaching our destination (I had accelerated abruptly in traffic) and, yes, another STOP engine light.

Any thoughts? Is there any correlation between high crankcase pressure and the "after treatment" DPF system? I haven't had a full regen in quite a while. Occasionally, I get a momentary flash of the DPF light and it goes out as thought a regen is not needed.

51,000 miles on this ISL 425. Heading West on 290 to hook up with I-10 towards El Paso and Las Cruces and on to SoCal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Arrow

Hello Barry,

I had a similar set of weird engine lights and DPF flashes over about a 10 to16 month period. I also have an ISL 425hp. I'm assuming you have a similar setup to my coach, i.e. EGR valve, HEST system, DPF etc..

I will tell you what I experienced and perhaps it will help you. My issues started after a HEST system cycle with a DPF flicker and a hard stop engine light. The ScanguageD error code was an exhaust high temp code. After about 30 minutes, temps dropped and code cleared. I never saw that code again.

The next code was an intermittent amber check engine light. That code was an EGR calibration failure. The code would come and go and I eventually replaced the EGR valve assembly and that code never appeared again.

All this while, I wondered why the HEST lamp hadn't been coming on as it had in the past. Normally it would light up every 4-6 weeks of full-time traveling (2-3Kmiles), stay on for about 20-25 minutes at highway speed and then go out. We were spending a few months driving Highway 1 & 101 from San Diego to Washington state, so we rarely achieved interstate speeds and I thought perhaps that may be part of the reason.

Occassionally, as time marched on, throttle response would seem diminished, but only sporadically and for 5-10 seconds. No error codes and I thought perhaps it was poor fuel as again we were on the west coast and only able to purchase B-20 bio-diesel.

All this while, we drove without major issue from southern California to Calgary, Alberta, to the UP of Michigan, to Sandusky, Ohio. However, when departing Sandusky we had our first major performance problem. After a quick stop to eat, we started the rig and pulled onto the road to get back onto the highway. Throttle seemed to work at about 50%, I kept down-shifting the transmission to gain RPMs and we limped along for about 30 miles in stop & start traffic, able to achieve 40-50MPH & working our way toward the local Cummins service center, till it magically began to run normally, since it was a Sunday we continued toward our destination and drove another 800+ miles before we had another problem. NOTE: we had no error code lights, however, the HEST light came on for about 5 minutes just before it began to run normally.

While on our way to Florida for the winter, we spent some time in Columbia, SC. While there, I decided to investigate the HEST regen options and possible solutions. Also, since our 2009 American Coach had never been at a Cummins service center and one was about 10 miles from our campground, I decided to contact them and arrange to have the ECM updated (or as they call it calibrated) and perhaps have them force a manual DPF regeneration. So I made an appointment with them for the first thing on Friday morning, which was our planned departure day. As a DIY kind of guy, I also order a device to force a manual regen.

That 40° Friday morning the engine started just fine, however, I was unable to set high idle and the throttle was non-responsive. After it warmed up a bit the throttle began to respond, although still intermittently. We decided to try and make it to the Cummins center. We made it about 2 miles and the got a DPF flashing light and a check engine, then the throttle became entirely unresponsive. We got off the roadway contacted the Cummins center who recommended a 3rd party mobile mechanic service, Fleet Truck Repair. My ScanguageD returned a "mechanical turbo failure" code. Fleet Truck Repair responded quickly and confirmed the code. The tech suggested we restart and see if we could make it the remaining 8 miles to the Cummins center. Said he would follow us which he did, and we were able to slowly make the drive via secondary roadways to the Columbia Cummins Center.

Cummins started on our coach shortly after arrival, after all, we had an appointment, LOL. By noon they had determined I needed several ECM updates, the code was for a mechanical turbo problem and they theorized that the DPF weirdness was likely from the Turbo problems causing large amounts of soot to be dumped into the exhaust. To determine if the problem was the turbo itself ($4K), or the actuator ($1K) they removed the actuator, visually inspected the unit and determined the turbo sector gear was the problem and ordered the turbo for delivery on Monday. We spent the weekend parked at the center's 30A RV site. 0800hours on Monday the rebuilt Turbo was delivered. It was promptly replaced in the parking lot as they could not get enough power to drive it from the RV site into the service bay. By 1300hrs, it was on, however, the engine still struggled. They disconnected the exhaust pipe from the DPF assembly and the engine immediately ran correctly. They believed the DPF was clogged and perhaps cracked. They removed it and confirmed it was thoroughly loaded with soot and cracked. They order a new DPF ($2K) for delivery the next day. It arrived the next morning and they installed it, ran a manual regen. 5 days and $8K later we were back on the road.

What I learned - that since the DPF collects all the soot, you can not tell if you have engine issues because the exhaust is scrubbed. There is an ECM output called "soot load" or something similar, that would provide valuable information.

My turbo had probably been randomly and intermittently hanging up for some time, however, my boost has shown around 30-35PSI under full load. My guess is the turbo would hang in the boost mode even when at low RPMs and that caused the high soot load. The occasional DPF flashes and short cycled HEST light were both an indicator of the soot overload. The soot overload causes the DPF element to crack from excessive heat trying to clear the soot during a HEST cycle.

I am currently trying to determine if my ScanguageD, or the Cummins Inline Mini or any other scanner can read the soot load parameter. Which would have given me a heads up and perhaps saved me the cost of the DPF.

I have yet to try the DTC+ATF Reset Regen Tool, however, I will set up a schedule for performing manual regens in the future.

Bottom-line, IMO the emission systems (HEST, DPF EGR, CV filter, et al) are at the root of many problems.

Best of luck...

BrewE2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine, light