Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

Cummins ISL Engine Brake whistle

I have been developing a whistling noise noise when at high altitude using my engine brake. Mostly in 3rd gear but some in 4th and 5th. It is a high pitched whistle but then it disappears when I am down at a lower altitude and flatter ground. It has progressively gotten worse over the last 3 years. I do not seem to be suffering any power loss or Braking loss. I still can generate 30 psi of boost. Has anyone experienced this?
Thank You Mike Quinn
mque is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep ... same thing for me. Subtle whistle sound at higher altitudes. Sounds "normal" at lower altitudes (no whistle). I put it on the list of things for the shop to check out every year. And every year they tell me that it is nothing to worry about. I guess it bothers me more than anybody else. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Get ready for exhaust gasket replacement. If replaced while in the whistling stage you may save the cost of warped/eroded manifold.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Get ready for exhaust gasket replacement. If replaced while in the whistling stage you may save the cost of warped/eroded manifold.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

Bumps, see the comments from Twomed. I found an exhaust manifold leak and will get it fixed. Most likely causing my whistle when I use the engine brake. Thank you for the input.
mque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks! ...I've put it on the list for my next trip to the shop. Maybe if I tell them what it is they will agree(?) that the whistle is not normal. Thanks! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Bumps, if you can take a look at where the exhaust manifold bolts onto the engine. See if you can see any black steaks indicating where it is leaking.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't get a whistle but (especially if I travel across a bridge or in a tunnel) I can hear much air movement from the rear of the coach when the engine brake engages. It sounds like the radiator fan is running at top speed. It is just a very loud rush of air. Mine is the 2007 clean diesel ISL. Are there other symptoms associated with a exhaust manifold gasket leak?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I can hear much air movement from the rear of the coach when the engine brake engages. It sounds like the radiator fan is running at top speed. It is just a very loud rush of air.
I assume you have a rear radiator. If so, yep, completely normal: the radiator fan IS running at top speed. When the exhaust brake engages, the transmission downshifts so that the engine speed is increased. The increased engine speed pumps more air through the engine, so that the restriction of the exhaust brake generates more backpressure -- that's what gives you the braking action. Since the rear radiator fan is driven by the engine, when the engine goes fast, the fan goes fast as well. While it's noisy, that spinning fan also burns off a few horsepower, adding a little to the braking effect.

Quote:
Are there other symptoms associated with a exhaust manifold gasket leak?
When my leak developed, it was a horrible screeching noise when the exhaust brake came on. When parked, it could also be heard at fast idle and when coming down from fast idle. It was such an awful noise that my mechanic's first thought was that the bearings on the turbocharger were shot. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a small exhaust leak. Also fortunately, it developed at the end of a long trip when I was just 10 or 15 miles from home -- I could easily limp home, and then over to the shop a few miles away.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I assume you have a rear radiator. If so, yep, completely normal: the radiator fan IS running at top speed. When the exhaust brake engages, the transmission downshifts so that the engine speed is increased. The increased engine speed pumps more air through the engine, so that the restriction of the exhaust brake generates more backpressure -- that's what gives you the braking action. Since the rear radiator fan is driven by the engine, when the engine goes fast, the fan goes fast as well. While it's noisy, that spinning fan also burns off a few horsepower, adding a little to the braking effect.

When my leak developed, it was a horrible screeching noise when the exhaust brake came on. When parked, it could also be heard at fast idle and when coming down from fast idle. It was such an awful noise that my mechanic's first thought was that the bearings on the turbocharger were shot. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a small exhaust leak. Also fortunately, it developed at the end of a long trip when I was just 10 or 15 miles from home -- I could easily limp home, and then over to the shop a few miles away.
No, I have a hydraulically-driven side radiator (Country Coach did not use any rear radiator configurations). This if my first side rad DP and the first with Jake brake so it may be my side rad fan plays a role in the process. It gets all its instructions from the engine ECM.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
No, I have a hydraulically-driven side radiator
Well, then... I have no experience with that, so you're on your own.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

What you might be hearing is the compression from the Jake brake. Does it sound the same as when a big truck lets off the accelerator and his Jake kicks in.?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
What you might be hearing is the compression from the Jake brake. Does it sound the same as when a big truck lets off the accelerator and his Jake kicks in.?
Not the same sound as an exhaust brake. They are two separate animals.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
My ISL has the two stage Jake brake. It sounds nothing like the big trucks which give the characteristic bap, bap, bap sound. It just sounds like lots of rushing air.....a loud hissing sound.

Someone on another forum suggested it was the variable geometry turbo used on my engine. The vanes on the turbo flatten out during application of the engine brake causing the sound. I just would like to verify that and wondered if others with the 2007 and later ISL's hear the same noise.

Tags
brake, cummins