RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Cummins ISM 500 no connections on front or rear OBD ports?

I have a 2000 Monaco Signature with a Cummins 500 ISM. Neither my mechanic nor the Cummins tech at a recent rally could get a scanner reading from the diagnostic ports in back by the engine or in front under the dash. They said a wire must be broken. Any suggestions where to start on 40+ feet of wiring?? Thanks.

joefromperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
No reading, meaning the scan tool wouldn't power on though the connector? Many times a blown fuse can cause this, and since you can't connect at either plug, I'm not thinking a wire or harness issue. The connector isn't "T"ed off each other, they have their own connection at the ECM.

This may sound silly but I've seen trucks that had a blown fuse for cig lighter/power point cause this....so check every fuse, under dash, at battery compartment, etc...

If the scan tool will power on using diagnostic connector but not read data, then I'd suggest a trip to Cummins, have them attempt to connect using insite.

It's possible the Cummins tech at the rally maybe had incorrect cable, wrong software version, etc....?

Another thing to check is engine to chassis ground and battery to chassis ground.
The ECM grounds to engine block, and minor resistance can be a issue.

But to answer your orginal question, the ECM harness starts at Right side of engine on ECM, it's bundled into harness to insturment cluster, and depending on chassis brand, maybe supplies data to gauges. Some chassis use their own insturment panel and just "connect" into harness under dash somewhere.

BTW.... what's going on that you needed to have diagnostic scan tool hooked up?

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromperry View Post
... ports in back by the engine or in front under the dash. They said a wire must be broken. Any suggestions where to start on 40+ feet of wiring?? Thanks.
I should think that the port in the rear goes directly to the engine ECM. So I'd think that the fault lies between the rear port and the engine's ECM. First I'd check to see if there is not a blown fuse for the port's power (I don't think that is it, but...)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. To start with your last question, I sometimes get a "check engine" warning light that comes on at random times and stays for a while, and other times the ABS light comes on. On these boards it was suggested that the coolant sensor might trigger the message, but after cleaning that it still happened. When I was at the FMCA rally last summer, I stopped at the Cummins tent and they sent over a couple technicians to see what they could find, but because they couldn't get anything from the ports, they said the wires needed to be checked, and it was way too time-consuming for them to do it. As long as the coach seemed to be running okay, I just left it. I thought I had all fuses checked, but I'll look again. I don't think the scanner connected at all.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

I am betting that the wrong scan tool / protocol is being used.
Yours is J1708 not J1939.
I suspect your wiring is fine.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I am betting that the wrong scan tool / protocol is being used.
Yours is J1708 not J1939.
I suspect your wiring is fine.
Quote:
Thanks for the input. To start with your last question, I sometimes get a "check engine" warning light that comes on at random times and stays for a while, and other times the ABS light comes on. On these boards it was suggested that the coolant sensor might trigger the message, but after cleaning that it still happened. When I was at the FMCA rally last summer, I stopped at the Cummins tent and they sent over a couple technicians to see what they could find, but because they couldn't get anything from the ports, they said the wires needed to be checked, and it was way too time-consuming for them to do it. As long as the coach seemed to be running okay, I just left it. I thought I had all fuses checked, but I'll look again. I don't think the scanner connected at all.
David L is correct, that vintage engine should use a 6 pin connector and without correct cable adapter or software version it won't connect.

.....and just because the cable adapter will "plug" into the port don't mean it's the correct one. It was a few years later when the industry changed to 9 pin connector they all got on same page....
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

The Deutsch 9 pin can be either J1708 (my MountainAire) or J1939 (newer).
Not sure if the 6 pin can also be both as I haven't run into that.
Even Cummins was not sure when I called them on mine. They off the cuff thought it was J1939 until we started trying to log data. Here is a response:

"There was a gradual shift from J1708 to J1939 between 2004 and 2007. Any engines prior to 2004 are most likely to be exclusively J1708. Engines from 2004 – 2007 are likely to have both protocols available. After 2007 it’s most likely going to be J1939 (with the odd exception). The ISX has been around for some time, so check the engine manufacture date to get a better idea of the communication protocol, rather than the engine model."
Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The Deutsch 9 pin can be either J1708 (my MountainAire) or J1939 (newer).
Not sure if the 6 pin can also be both as I haven't run into that.
Even Cummins was not sure when I called them on mine. They off the cuff thought it was J1939 until we started trying to log data. Here is a response:

"There was a gradual shift from J1708 to J1939 between 2004 and 2007. Any engines prior to 2004 are most likely to be exclusively J1708. Engines from 2004 – 2007 are likely to have both protocols available. After 2007 it’s most likely going to be J1939 (with the odd exception). The ISX has been around for some time, so check the engine manufacture date to get a better idea of the communication protocol, rather than the engine model."
My engine is an ISM. Does what you say still apply?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, Mine is ISM as well. 2002: 9 pin Deutsch connector w/ J1708. Which means - NOT OBDII. And won't work with a "ELM 327" diagnostic dongle.

I am making my scan tool from an ELM 325 chipset (that supports J1708).

Much less popular to find a scan tool that will work with ours.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, what he posted was about 2004 the transition to 9 pin J1939 datalink was going on.

Your 2000 year model should have a J1708 6 pin connector. If you can see it under dash, or at rear in engine compartment count the number of pins in the connector
Old 02-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #11

J1708, It's a bummer, with the J1939 datalink you can get almost any obd2. Bluetooth, connect using a cable and use the Cummins Fault code app on your phone...
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #12

mackwrench, when did 6 pin become 9 pin? Mine is a 9. Between 2000 and 2002? I am building my scan tool with ScanGauges combo cable 6 and 9 to an RJ45 for adaptability. Would love to carve some time to work on it...then we will have to write software to display the info on our RV automation screen...
Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #13

Yes, 2000 was change over, but some engines, built as far back as 1999 were installed in 2001 & 2002 chassis. By 2004 everything was J1939 which requires the 9 pin connector.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #14

.....if you have a 9 pin connector, this combination will (should) connect Bluetooth to the free Cummins Fault code app, but most only work on Android platform, not apple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009Z...pin+obd2&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HX...20L&ref=plSrch

.... I'm not interested in see live data all the time, so bought a simple inexpensive HD OBD code reader for my 2000 year model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N4...eywords=hd+obd

Tags
cummins