Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #1

Cummins ISM check engine alert on warmed engine no load idle

I have a 2005 Spartan K2 chassis with a Cummins ISM engine. When the engine in warm sitting idling with no load transmission is in Neutral, Brake set the check engine light and alert alarm will go off. It will reset itself by shutting down and restarting. Under load with transmission in gear it will not go off also when not warmed it will be fine. All gauges read normal during the event. The previous owner said that it is some type of plug...he could not tell me what it was called. But that it could clear itself or clean it out is what he was told. Has anyone had the same symptoms, if so can you lead me in the right direction to take care of the issue.
Ozarkwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #2

The only sure way to narrow,this problem down is to get connected to a computer, and that will only work if the fault is active at that time. Most other solutions are merely guessing. You should also google this fault, as you will probably get one or more leads to possible faults/solutions.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

An update, the check engine alert got progressively worse on the way up to MN I was getting a new alert every time I let off of the throttle. I brought it into Cummins NPower in White Bear Lake they are a Coach-care facility so they had a place to park over night and plug in to 50 amps. They plugged it into there reader and found the issue to be the EGR valve at a $1,000 for the part and 2hrs labor you dont want to be changing these out very often. I have since driven to Missouri and now to Solomons, MD. I believe the problem is fixed, I had a check engine alert come on once In the Blue Ridge Mts.
Ozarkwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Seems the 2004-2005 years of the ISM are having EGR issues.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

We have a 04 Essex with ISM with 96k miles and sometime around 30K we have had to replace EGR valve. This is our 3rd and some owners haven't had any EGR issue with up to 60K but others have EGR problems as soon as 10K miles. It help to join Cummins Power Club for 15$ and save 10% on parts and labor. Only problem we have had since new has been EGR valves.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
08 Dynasty with 07 ISM EGR valve replacement at 15,500. Cummins dealer stated that it gets "dirty" with minimal use and to go out and drive it "hard". Not sure what hard means. Also recommended a Fleet guard fuel additive "asphaltene conditioner". I also use Startron Diesel additive.
Bottom line he said that the EGR in the 07 engine should be considered a "maintenance item" and to expect to change it put somewhere between every 30 - 50,000 miles as it will probably fail at that frequency. He said that doing all the additive stuff and driving it may extend the expected failure to 50 - 80,000 miles, but that you would be on borrowed time.
Oh well another good idea that was not ready for prime time. He said with the EPA 2010 engines that the egr system has been changed and improved.
Just repeating what I was told FWIW.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote