RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #379

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
Don, I know of you...actually talked on phone.....I have your racing software on a altalab system. Boost change due to the fact I changed the turbo and the entire exhaust system...you retained all your original stuff right? Just did delete?
BTW..I have a whole pile of original cummins parts, due to the settlement agreement I had with them... brand new turbo in box, new actuator, new injectors, blah blah blah, big list.....maybe you want..I have no need, make a heck of a deal. You will love em if you ever need them!

OK, not sure I need the parts but you never know. What does your car look like in case I see you at a race.?

I retained everything but did the delete, removed the exhaust catalyst, and tuned out the bad stuff.

05 American Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #380

WOW, I read through this entire topic. What a great ending. Kudos to you for digging in having never been in a diesel before. I was a mechanic in the army for a while decades ago and I'm still not sure I'd dig in to that project. Actually, if I had the shop you did and could do it inside, I would.

Great job! Thanks for detailing it here.

Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I was looking at..appears they just added a PDI turbo inline with the stock Cummins unit...I bet that runs nice! I was thinking of doing the same thing...and perhaps add a wastegate so that I don't over do the boost...Thinking I could get my boost back up to 38-40 PSI...plus spool it up faster...Maybe you or someone could chime in and let me know if I would actually feel a difference with 8-10 psi..I have been reading a little on turbo function/selection...and how to determine what the best set up is....its not as easy as one would think...actually a pretty deep topic. I just figure if Cummins ran it up to 38-40, I can safely do the same. Thanks!!

I like the idea of the add on twin in-line turbo charger. With this set up you get the performance and economy. The original vgt turbo spoils up quickly, opens up at higher exhaust flow. The vgt greatly adds to the engine braking system. The second turbo would allow higher boost pressures when needed, and one more huge benefit is that the second turbo will lower exhaust temperatures.

I worked for Ford as an Engineer on the Diesel emissions aftertreatment team. We specked out and tested the DOC, DPF and SCR catalyst systems on dynamometers and in durability fleets. Ford and International/Navistar found out with the twin in-line turbo set up on the 6.4L V8 Diesel engine (used in the Super Dutys) that the lower exhaust temps were detrimental to the efficient operation of the aftertreatment system. The reason being that more fuel was needed in the calibration to keep the exhaust temperatures downstream of the second turbo high enough for the aftertreatment system to work properly and meet the emissions spec. Ask anyone with a stock 6.4L Super Duty with the emissions system in place about their fuel mileage verse the previous 6.0L and 7.3L engines. This was one of the biggest complaints right out of the chute with the 6.4L. They had plenty of problems with EGR/ cooler systems along with the new DPF catalyst too (the SCR came later on the 6.7 Ford Diesel engine).

With all this said I know for a fact that the 6.4L Navistar Diesel can be tuned to some very high HP and Torque levels with very high reliability. I personally knew a guy that had a 2007 F250 extended cab short bed 4x4 lifted with bigger tires that he purchased new. He removed the aftertreatment and recalibrated the engine. At that time the engine was putting out around 670hp and 1200 p/ft. Of torque! He was getting 19 MPG around town and 21 MPG on the expressway. He said that he took it to the track and ran high 12 seconds in the quarter mile with it! He said that this tune was very conservative and very reliable and would be perfect for towing a very heavy trailer. He did have to upgrade the transmission and torque converter and install latter bars on the rear suspension to handle the added torque. He said that he had to be very careful on how he drove it so that he would not twist the driveshaft off! As far as I know that guy still has that truck. I will make some inquiries to see if he still owns it and how it has held up over the years. I know he said that the new Ford 6.7L cannot handle much upgrading to the stock tuning. He said the turbo was too small and most of all the block cannot handle the added torque. I did see that the second generation of the 6.7L had a upgraded larger turbo charger. Maybe block upgrades too. I digress.

With this said I would love to hear from anyone that has installed this twin inline turbo set up on a ISX. I would bet there would be some fantastic numbers for HP, Torque and Fuel Milage and reliability if installed right with a good calibration. The thing is that even if one were to install this set up on a old coach, one would still need to pull the head and update the valves (all those years of running hot and sitting rusting).

If I were purchasing one of these ISXs in an older motor coach, I would be thinking to myself I was rolling the dice on that drive home :-(. Not a good feeling at all.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #382

I was just thinking more about the twin turbo set up. I wonder how many people out there with big CAT engines with VGTs in their DP coaches have installed a twin turbo set up? If anyone has, please reply.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbensen View Post
I was just thinking more about the twin turbo set up. I wonder how many people out there with big CAT engines with VGTs in their DP coaches have installed a twin turbo set up? If anyone has, please reply.
I drive a 2006 T800 KW Heavy Haul tractor with the Cat C15 twin turbo 550 hp. No problems with over 250000 first rig with 50 psi on the CAC system. Great engine
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #384

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a question, did anyone have a horseshoe bend in their exhaust pipe about 5 inch's just past the particulate filter? Our mechanic found this anomaly on our rig.

Tags
cummins, valve