RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
How hot do you think #6 cylinder is during heavy operation in summer? You know it is in the very back of the engine compartment with mostly stagnant air, Yes? Some manufactures don't even offer louvers in there rear engine compartment door so as to allow the HOT air to exhaust. After I experienced some heat with my coach I added a internal exhaust fan system by Flex a lite and Now My Temps run up to 10 degrees cooler. Heat is the main killer for Any engine
Shouldn't matter where it is. The 650 was specifically engineered and built for high end motorhomes and not used in Class 8 trucks. So, it should have been made to work in the MH engine bay.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Shouldn't matter where it is. The 650 was specifically engineered and built for high end motorhomes and not used in Class 8 trucks. So, it should have been made to work in the MH engine bay.

According to your own words your coach has been in the shop for repairs because of #6 problems. What do you think is the problem is if it is not HEAT?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Remember, these are very large cast iron water cooled engines. Airflow over the engine has very little cooling effect.
Also, the engine sits backwards in the chassis so #6 is the front most cylinder. The reason it's usually #6 may have more to do with distance from the charge air cooler.
The intake valve is alternately exposed to cool air from the intake charge and then very hot fuel-air burning from the engine on the power stroke. Tough conditions.

With new production techniques the stainless steel valve head is electrically welded to the valve stem. This process when done correctly works well. But, when you move production off shore the same quality controls may not exist. We are seeing the same valve issues in other engines.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
According to your own words your coach has been in the shop for repairs because of #6 problems. What do you think is the problem is if it is not HEAT?
The problem is Cummins didn't do due diligence in design and testing when they produced an engine used only in RV's.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #33

Quote:
The problem is Cummins didn't do due diligence in design and testing when they produced an engine used only in RV's.
So the RV version ISX is a different engine than the ISX 600hp used in HDT's?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Remember, these are very large cast iron water cooled engines. Airflow over the engine has very little cooling effect.
Also, the engine sits backwards in the chassis so #6 is the front most cylinder. The reason it's usually #6 may have more to do with distance from the charge air cooler.
The intake valve is alternately exposed to cool air from the intake charge and then very hot fuel-air burning from the engine on the power stroke. Tough conditions.

With new production techniques the stainless steel valve head is electrically welded to the valve stem. This process when done correctly works well. But, when you move production off shore the same quality controls may not exist. We are seeing the same valve issues in other engines.

#6 cylinder sits in the Very Back of the engine compartment. #1 is just behind the crank pulley hence the front of the motor. Check the provided link and scroll down to page 11-8 to see the cylinder location and firing order.

Wow

http://fowlerhammer.com/wp-content/u...4310640-RS.pdf
Old 07-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
#6 cylinder sits in the Very Back of the engine compartment. #1 is just behind the crank pulley hence the front of the motor. Check the provided link and scroll down to page 11-8 to see the cylinder location and firing order.

Wow

http://fowlerhammer.com/wp-content/u...4310640-RS.pdf
Pretty sure Vito meant that #6 cylinder is front most meaning the front of the RV.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Does this have any bearing on the discussion? https://qsol.cummins.com/qs3/pubsys2...1d8dedcc481682
Old 07-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Does this have any bearing on the discussion? https://qsol.cummins.com/qs3/pubsys2...1d8dedcc481682
Covers my CM871. I'm supposed to have the new valve and head but not the seats since mine was repaired in May '15, so too early for the seats.
It also says it's due to high stress. An ISX in a MH is considered to be light duty according to Cummins publications.
Strange, I just went through the billing for my repair three times. There is no mention of the valve being replaced nor what part number was used. The head used is 4331387 which is the obsolete part listed in the TSB and was introduced in 6 Aug 2014. If that is so then mine was rebuilt with the same, original head that has caused the engine blowup twice now.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Covers my CM871. I'm supposed to have the new valve and head but not the seats since mine was repaired in May '15, so too early for the seats.
It also says it's due to high stress. An ISX in a MH is considered to be light duty according to Cummins publications.
Strange, I just went through the billing for my repair three times. There is no mention of the valve being replaced nor what part number was used. The head used is 4331387 which is the obsolete part listed in the TSB and was introduced in 6 Aug 2014. If that is so then mine was rebuilt with the same, original head that has caused the engine blowup twice now.
Now I'm going to be really mad as I was assured by my contact inside Cummins that I would have the newest parts and now I'm finding out I paid for the old, superseded parts that caused the problem originally. But then it may be that the original parts were older yet and there have been several iterations and the one I got is an improved model since it is a different part number than the first replacement. But that means that they must have found problems with the head/valves I have and have new improved ones. So far I have only about 5,000 miles since the last rebuild and no problems.

Another thing I'm finding out is Quickserve contains NO information about the repairs done as I was told it did.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Now I'm going to be really mad as I was assured by my contact inside Cummins that I would have the newest parts and now I'm finding out I paid for the old, superseded parts that caused the problem originally. But then it may be that the original parts were older yet and there have been several iterations and the one I got is an improved model since it is a different part number than the first replacement. But that means that they must have found problems with the head/valves I have and have new improved ones. So far I have only about 5,000 miles since the last rebuild and no problems.

Another thing I'm finding out is Quickserve contains NO information about the repairs done as I was told it did.
We have an ISX-12 500 Cummins still sitting in Nacogdoches. #6 cylinder went down at 38k miles, it also effected the rest of the cylinders, the cooling fan, the head gasket and our mechanic found the exhaust particulate filter to be terribly clogged on the final Rd test. Which is why we have been grounded for almost 9 months due to the engine. Our mechanic has been fighting with both Cummins and the extended warranty folks. My husband and I are 30 coach bucks into this engine already. Once more, recods came to the rescue. The warranty folks were pulling the same pile of poo with us, saying we had not done properly maintenance...last folks to do the maintenance was Cummins. Doesn't say much for their diagnostics either, per our mechanic, this problem was going on at that time. So we are quietly waiting and praying that we will get her back the middle of AUG
Cummins should have made a recall, if as those who discussed this, indicated that this is a known problem.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And, up till now it's only been the ISX 15's in 600 and 650 versions although I know of some in 450 truck versions.
As I said earlier, I think as time goes on we're going to see more of this happening. Maybe enough that they'll have to admit a problem like they did with the ISL wrist pin problem.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Very few of the 600's seem the break valves but with timtime we may see more of them

That's NOT a nice thing to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterboy318 View Post
Lol. I put 1500 miles on the coach so far. Duster.....well maybe 50 miles but that is my toy.
That's and expensive "toy!!"

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, valve