Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #113

08Navigator, I am curious, after the head work is done and ready to reinstall the head how do you plan not to damage the head gasket lifting over the chain case and working into place? I am truly sorry for your problems with such little amount of mileage. Will continue to follow this process as to the #6 valve problems

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #114

Hi, I plan on feeding the head roughly in to place with the skid loader...I have a access hole in the wardrobe area..going to place tall jack stands on each side of the hole with a piece of pipe across the opening sitting on the jack stands...little electric wench on the pipe...hook it to my homemade head extractor and lower it in place...I plan on having the head gasket all set up and in place prior to putting the head roughly in place.

I have been studying the engine for days...and all of the components for day and days....I believe I am on to why the Motorhomes have the premature valve failures more so then over the road trucks....in #6 and some times #5...I think I have it figured out!! I hope I do anyway! It dawned on me in the middle of the night...so I got out of bed at 4AM and went to the garage, to confirm...bingo! I believe I have nailed it! I am so excited....hoping I can fix this thing up and be confident in my repairs....I have ordered new intake valves and seats, all new exhausts valves also...I have the head at the machine shop now...I have ordered a Borg Warner turbo...got away from the variable Cummings deal, the variable is a great idea....but $4500 is a lot of loot for a turbo...I have a whole pile of other goodies coming too...I bet I have a much better running machine in the long run!! Keep you posted on how it goes!
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
I have been studying the engine for days...and all of the components for day and days....I believe I am on to why the Motorhomes have the premature valve failures more so then over the road trucks....in #6 and some times #5...

I think I have it figured out!! I hope I do anyway! It dawned on me in the middle of the night...so I got out of bed at 4AM and went to the garage, to confirm...bingo! I believe I have nailed it! I am so excited...
What! That's it!. Need more info on this revelation.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What! That's it!. Need more info on this revelation.
Haha, yeah, come on man, spill the beans. You can't just leave us hanging...
Old 09-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #117

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says it's acid eating the valves. They have a TSB on it, see below.
They have a new head, valves, valve seats and piston set with carbon scrapers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISX Vlave problem (1).pdf (1.15 MB, 254 views)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #118

What model isx is this?
there is a Facebook page called isx problem solvers lots of techs on that page. Also several tuners that can delete your EGR system
For what it's worth my isx871 went a million miles trouble free the next version the 2250 had liner protrusion problems and defective fuel pumps with ceramic plungers that shattered, filled the oil galleys and starved the engine till it seized. The 2350 is a much improved 2250. And many report the new x15 to be quite trouble free

Of course I am referring to truck motors. You mentioned you have a 2 cam engine that sounds like my 871 which is considered to be the best of the 3 I mentionedClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180915-210824_Facebook.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	219184
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #119

If your installing a borg Warner turbo I take it your doing a full delete of the emission components and having the ecm tuned?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
Hi, I plan on feeding the head roughly in to place with the skid loader...I have a access hole in the wardrobe area..going to place tall jack stands on each side of the hole with a piece of pipe across the opening sitting on the jack stands...little electric wench on the pipe...hook it to my homemade head extractor and lower it in place...I plan on having the head gasket all set up and in place prior to putting the head roughly in place.

I have been studying the engine for days...and all of the components for day and days....I believe I am on to why the Motorhomes have the premature valve failures more so then over the road trucks....in #6 and some times #5...I think I have it figured out!! I hope I do anyway! It dawned on me in the middle of the night...so I got out of bed at 4AM and went to the garage, to confirm...bingo! I believe I have nailed it! I am so excited....hoping I can fix this thing up and be confident in my repairs....I have ordered new intake valves and seats, all new exhausts valves also...I have the head at the machine shop now...I have ordered a Borg Warner turbo...got away from the variable Cummings deal, the variable is a great idea....but $4500 is a lot of loot for a turbo...I have a whole pile of other goodies coming too...I bet I have a much better running machine in the long run!! Keep you posted on how it goes!

This is a Prime Example on how to keep a P*@*#) in suspense.

You can't just leave us hanging. I have said in earlier post I believe it to be heat being # 6 hole

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:03 AM   #121

Funny, I met a guy yesterday for a totally unrelated matter.

During the course of our conversation I found out the guy was a shop foreman for a Class 8 truck dealership. He thought the ISX series was a POS for the most part and is/was disappointed on Cummins poor CS with regards to warranty issues. He said they NEVER go the extra mile (any more) for a customer who has engine issues shortly after warranty expires.

He volunteered the info about cylinder liner protrusion, stating that most times the #5 liner is low and results in the head gasket blowing out.

Our conversation was focussed on medium and heavy duty trucks, not RVs at all, FYI.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #122

Lol and Cummins just released a recall on the 2250 for carbon packing and liner protrusion issues... this engine went out of production in 2014/15. They also limited the warranty coverage to engines with less then 435,000 miles.
I'll bet there's shitloads of 3 and 4 yr old class 8 trucks with under 435k....NOT!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #123

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I have said in earlier post I believe it to be heat being # 6 hole
See the link in post 117 above for Cummins answer.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #124

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
What model isx is this?
there is a Facebook page called isx problem solvers lots of techs on that page. Also several tuners that can delete your EGR system
For what it's worth my isx871 went a million miles trouble free the next version the 2250 had liner protrusion problems and defective fuel pumps with ceramic plungers that shattered, filled the oil galleys and starved the engine till it seized. The 2350 is a much improved 2250. And many report the new x15 to be quite trouble free

Of course I am referring to truck motors. You mentioned you have a 2 cam engine that sounds like my 871 which is considered to be the best of the 3 I mentionedAttachment 219184
I have the 871 and it's broken two intake valves off, once at 19,000 and then again at 45,000.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have the 871 and it's broken two intake valves off, once at 19,000 and then again at 45,000.
I assure you in the trucking world that is completely unheard of for that motor. the 871 is considered a work horse easily go a million miles with no repairs as long as overhead are performed routinely
Old 09-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #126

So I am just rereading this post and I see where your engine makes 600 horsepower that seems insane to me most of the semis on the road that are hauling 80000 lb are in the 400 to 450 range I'm guessing that is the bulk of the problems with your motor they've got the ECM turned up too high which is a known problem Creator when you do that to a truck motor it usually cracks the head. there are plenty of tuners that can turn your ECM back down if you are interested on that Cummins ISX Problem Solver page on FB

Tags
cummins, valve