Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #15

Before any repair began the extended Service claims adjuster at Cornerstone United required Four Star Freightliner to provide an estimate to repair, parts list and labor. Four Star went by Cummins OEM repair procedures which clearly states that with a failure of this type that the head must be replaced. Cornerstone denied the cost of a new or rebuilt head. Instead they only allowed $750 to send the head out to a machine shop and replace valve seats. The closest one being in Macon, GA Also refused to pay freight there and back to Four Star, another $450. All with no warranty.

We chose to have Four Star ordered a remanufaftured head from Cummins which gave us all new valves, springs and a one year warranty. We paid the difference out of pocket, about $4K. Do not know if this head had any design changes or not. Cornerstone DID however pay for a new piston and liner but for #6 only.
I did not know at the time that Cummins had made design changes to this head to address this problem. Does anyone know what the chances were and when they went into effect? I do know that there were considerable changes made to this engine starting in 2010. That is when DEF came in.
fulltimn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine was rebuilt in 2015. At that time I was assured that I had the new head and valves. Sure hope so because I don't want to go through that again. I also seem to have lost some mpg too. Overall average is still 7.6 mph but the VMS readout shows somewhat less.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #17

New valves

Around 2008 09 cummins experimented with a different valve material. The new heads use the old valve material that had been used previous and had proven results. A new head with the updated valves i am told fixed the issue.
dusterboy318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterboy318 View Post
Around 2008 09 cummins experimented with a different valve material. The new heads use the old valve material that had been used previous and had proven results. A new head with the updated valves i am told fixed the issue.
Partly true. Mine also included a new turbo and ECM programming.

Dusterboy, didn't yours also take new pistons in all holes to alleviate carbon buildup? I know mine didn't get them.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
So are they all intake valve failures, or was yours an exhaust valve?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Partly true. Mine also included a new turbo and ECM programming.

Dusterboy, didn't yours also take new pistons in all holes to alleviate carbon buildup? I know mine didn't get them.
Yep. New updated pistons with carbon scrapper ring specific to cummins ISX.

Mine was an exhaust valve as well that took out piston and cylinder sleeve. I ended up doing all bearings, rods, head, and turbo.
dusterboy318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The shop never did tell me or maybe they couldn't tell what valve actually broke. I've got some 13 pages of teardown and rebuild info that I've been too disgusted with to really read/remember.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #22

When we bought our 2009 CC Affinity we were eyes wide open to the possible problems with the ISX 650. We researched and learned Cummins had a fix and received an estimate for the work and it became the first amount we deducted from the sellers asking price. We then deducted other items and such. With only 23K for miles we had the dealer take it to Cummins for a full rebuild. What we were surprised to fine was a large amount of rust on the inside of the engine from lack of use. Cummins tore it down replaced the pistons, head, turbo and such. This work took place 18 months ago and we have since put 11,000 miles on it without a moments problem. I am a believer the fix does work.

We were unable to get any money from Cummins as the motor had not died but we were not looking for a breakdown, tow and weeks of no use. We did buy the coach with a Cornerstone warranty but haven’t used it. We hope never to need it.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Mine was an intake valve as stated in my original post.
fulltimn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Just went through the billing, mine was also an intake valve.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #25

I wonder if the engine brake has any impact?
Old 07-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimn2 View Post
I have been reading all the post regarding this problem and thought I would add a current instance. I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator with a 600hp Cummins ISX engine. On April 10, 2018 while stopped at a red light the engine started running rough and vibrating. Fortunately there was a large parking lot nearby that we could pull into and shut it down.
Called a diesel mechanic out and he read the fault codes fro the ECM. Fault code was SPN 3616 which was Engine VGT Nozzel position out of adjustment in the turbocharger. Mechanic said it was probably stuck in the closed position. Had it towed to Four Star Freightliner in Midway FL for repair.
After removing the turbo and opening it up found internal damage due to pieces of metal being sucked into it. Later found that #6 cylinder was down and had to pull the head. Intake valve was broken about 50% around the valve head. This was the metal pieces that destroyed the turbo.
Even though this engine only had 26,000 miles on it the Cummins warranty had expired. We did however have an extended warranty with Cornerstone. That is another story in itself. After denying our claim not once but twice claiming misuse and abuse on our part and a two week delay they finally agreed to pay about 50% of the $32,00 repair bill. A word to the wise, never buy an extended warranty from Cornerstone.
Do you know the build date? It's right on the top of the engine.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just went through the billing, mine was also an intake valve.
As I've posted before mine has dropped a valve twice now, first one was for the original owner at 19,082 miles and it was also an intake valve.

Mine was at 45,154 and also was the intake valve. Now have about 50,500 and it runs strong.

I did find a note in the bill that a mechanic requested that the rockers be replaced due to excessive wear, the request was DENIED. So, it appears that I have out of spec (worn) rockers!!

Built in JEP - JAMESTOWN ENGINE PLANT
Build date 18 Dec 2007
Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #28

How hot do you think #6 cylinder is during heavy operation in summer? You know it is in the very back of the engine compartment with mostly stagnant air, Yes? Some manufactures don't even offer louvers in there rear engine compartment door so as to allow the HOT air to exhaust. After I experienced some heat with my coach I added a internal exhaust fan system by Flex a lite and Now My Temps run up to 10 degrees cooler. Heat is the main killer for Any engine

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, valve