Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I found a write up from an engine builders association. I tried attaching the pdf but it failed.

They do list the new part numbers along with the build date that new engines had these parts.

The valve seat was added in September 2016. Valves were introduced first in August 2014, then that part number was replaced in May 2015 and then the last version was introduced in April 2015 build dates. I assume the May 2015 date was due to extra stock.

The first engine number to have all the fixes was 79939638.

The concern I have is that everyone so far says it was the exhaust valve but this address the intake only. Just thought I would share what I have found.

My 650hp had a turbo failure but the head needs to come off since there is still an issue. They need to drop the engine out the bottom to the floor then lift my coach up over it to get it out. So far my warranty company has paid for repairs so I assume most will be covered. They do pay for rebuilt items and I wanted new Cummins parts so I may have to pay more to get a new head vs rebuilt but well worth the extra dollars.
I wouldn't be too concerned about what the mechanics told you they believe it to be, as far as intake or exhaust. If you look at my repair order that I posted they stated exhaust valve. I knew before disassembly that it was an intake, the compression could be heard in the intake manifold. One or two possibilities here...
1. The Cummins mechanics don't know which side of the engine is intake or exhaust. This may sound silly ...but it took my mechanic an hour to find the slide out button?!? I can envision the expression on this monkeys face when they looked at all the pretty buttons and fancy writing, something like Jethro Bodine doing his goesintos mouth ajar.
2. Cummins has the shop list damage as exhaust valve failure, so that a consumer can not sue them based upon the defects outlined in the PDF file that you located.

My vote would be #1...particularly if your mechanic claims they need to drop the engine...they gave me that ration also....just monkeys swapping parts, they don't know any better I guess. It is my understanding that Cummins offers "no fail" school for their mechanics, that should make one wonder what is working on their machine.

Sooooo here's my latest on my Cummins soap opera.....called local parts and service on Wednesday AM and ordered the factory top end gasket kit...$1079...( yep, ordered the Cummins kit for at a $700 premium, figured I know that gaskets at least sealed for 48,000 miles, not sure what I would get for $400 on ebay) was told it would arrive Thursday by noon....drove 45 miles a to pick up Friday at 3pm...guess what no gasket set. ..three guys at counter ,first they said I came to the wrong location, must be at their other location.. .I must have stupid on my forehead?? I don't know where I called and ordered or where I drove too??? I said do you have a gentleman named forest employed here? ...Why yes we do...I said he took the order...where is he? No response...they wouldn't even admit whom was whom...what an operation?! I took 2 hours out of my day and drove 90 miles...really?
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about what the mechanics told you they believe it to be, as far as intake or exhaust. If you look at my repair order that I posted they stated exhaust valve. I knew before disassembly that it was an intake, the compression could be heard in the intake manifold. One or two possibilities here...
1. The Cummins mechanics don't know which side of the engine is intake or exhaust. This may sound silly ...but it took my mechanic an hour to find the slide out button?!? I can envision the expression on this monkeys face when they looked at all the pretty buttons and fancy writing, something like Jethro Bodine doing his goesintos mouth ajar.
2. Cummins has the shop list damage as exhaust valve failure, so that a consumer can not sue them based upon the defects outlined in the PDF file that you located.

My vote would be #1...particularly if your mechanic claims they need to drop the engine...they gave me that ration also....just monkeys swapping parts, they don't know any better I guess. It is my understanding that Cummins offers "no fail" school for their mechanics, that should make one wonder what is working on their machine.

Sooooo here's my latest on my Cummins soap opera.....called local parts and service on Wednesday AM and ordered the factory top end gasket kit...$1079...( yep, ordered the Cummins kit for at a $700 premium, figured I know that gaskets at least sealed for 48,000 miles, not sure what I would get for $400 on ebay) was told it would arrive Thursday by noon....drove 45 miles a to pick up Friday at 3pm...guess what no gasket set. ..three guys at counter ,first they said I came to the wrong location, must be at their other location.. .I must have stupid on my forehead?? I don't know where I called and ordered or where I drove too??? I said do you have a gentleman named forest employed here? ...Why yes we do...I said he took the order...where is he? No response...they wouldn't even admit whom was whom...what an operation?! I took 2 hours out of my day and drove 90 miles...really?
Dropping the engine makes sense based on the supports in the rear. I did offer to have a welder come in cut out the supports and weld bolt on plates so that th get can be removed in the future with bolts.

I do belong to an ISX group on facebook, there are a bunch of mechanics with ISX experience and they said dropping the engine and transmission is common.

So far they have seemed to be a good shop. Once they got approval by the warranty company the turbo was in a day later. They are also checking everything else before they pull the head. I dont mind paying for a few hours of diagnostic time to be sure.

I am sure that I will have to pay several thousand more than the warranty company will pay but it will have a new turbo and updated head.

Sounds like you have a crappy local Cummins dealer.

I will be sure to update this post as I get definate data.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #157

hi iam having a diesel fuel leak problem near the fuel filter on a 2002 moutainaire 40 ft sparten chassie Cummings 400 hp
Old 09-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #158

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie & Joe View Post
hi iam having a diesel fuel leak problem near the fuel filter on a 2002 moutainaire 40 ft sparten chassie Cummings 400 hp
Hello Joe and welcome You would be better off posting a new thread in the Cummins or Newmar section for better exposure , and add a little more info. to your post to narrow the leak down........
Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #159

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dropping the engine makes sense based on the supports in the rear. I did offer to have a welder come in cut out the supports and weld bolt on plates so that they get can be removed in the future with bolts.
08Navigator was able to remove the cylinder head without dropping the engine. He made an adapter that allows him to adjust the angle of the head and remove it over the front cover. Look at the pictures in post #86 on page 7. This could save a small fortune in labor.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #160

Sorry to hear about your continued frustration. I thought I could provide some useful information to help out. But I am now realizing that I am either a stupid monkey or Jethro or both and am to stupid to provide any useful information. Please disregard any information I have provided as it is obviously incorrect.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #161

FYI Cummins parts are cheaper at truck dealers. Call Cummins get your part number that you need then call a KW Peterbilt International or Volvo dealer to try and get the part
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #162

[QUOTE=Mark D;4415900]

LOL...I had it towed from roadside to Fairmont W.va , that's were Jethro searched for the slide out button for an hour. I ordered the Gasket kit from Pittsburgh , that's where they keep Forest busy.

BTW,, you are a lucky / smart victim....you have an warranty on your side, otherwise you would be as upset as me...they quoted me 24k. I bet ya I come in under $7500 and have a better running engine with quality valves that will last a lifetime.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
FYI Cummins parts are cheaper at truck dealers. Call Cummins get your part number that you need then call a KW Peterbilt International or Volvo dealer to try and get the part
Thank you sir!!! I am so far out of my wheelhouse here...I had no idea. I want to replace all of the intercooler hoses, belts and I need some 5" exhaust parts ie elbows, flanges , clamps and a muffler...I need a stainless injector sleeve , found #3 cylinder leaks when I pressure tested the head. I might just buy all 6 of them...Any tips where to find these kinda items at a working mans price point? Thank you so much!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:00 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
Sorry to hear about your continued frustration. I thought I could provide some useful information to help out. But I am now realizing that I am either a stupid monkey or Jethro or both and am to stupid to provide any useful information. Please disregard any information I have provided as it is obviously incorrect.
Why, do you say this? Do you work at Pittsburgh or Fairmont Cummins? I am sorry if I offended you if this is the case.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #165

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure what location , but by his post's, I am guessing he works in a Cummins Shop............
All of his post's are on Cummins engine's.........
Years ago, while heading to the coast, the crankshaft in the engine air compressor snapped in half and left me on the side of the road in Brockway,Pa.
Cummins Bridgeway in Pittsburgh had all the part's to do the repair, and the gentleman in parts 10pm at night was great to work with. Found a couple of guy;s from a diesel repair shop in that area and I ran to Cummins early the next morning and those guy's changed the compressor out and made the repair's in the Fleet Fueling parking lot in Brockway!!(No power steering) Then took me 5 miles to their shop to recheck everything and power washed the engine compartment, TOAD, rear of Coach, as there was diesel oil up to the marker light's on the rear cap! They did a great job and asked if 500.00 would be OK with me...........little nervous after the break down and wanting to just go back home and he looked at me and told me to take off and drive it like I just stole it! and don't even think about it and enjoy our vacation! We did......
Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not sure what location , but by his post's, I am guessing he works in a Cummins Shop............
All of his post's are on Cummins engine's.........
If that's the case...he shouldn't be upset...I am sure he realizes that his employer is screwing people over....if he is a Cummins mechanic he should also fill the general public as to how to fix this problem once and for all. Hell, if I can figure it out someone that works on Cummins or with Cummins day in and out...should be able to identify the problem in seconds and help everyone involved...They have to know the quick fix...the trucks seem to live...the mechanics have to have notice only the motorhomes blow up...come on! Spill the beans!

I am glad they got you up and running...there really are some good people out there on the Highways...I meet a guy named Eric with Hilly Billy towing out of Fairmont, he rescued me roadside...brought a rig for the coach and a smaller truck for the Harley trailer.....guy called me a few days later to see what I found on the engine...who does that? That's a good man! Ever have troubles in that area...Hill Billy is your answer.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #167

[QUOTE=08Navigator;4416976]
Quote:

LOL...I had it towed from roadside to Fairmont W.va , that's were Jethro searched for the slide out button for an hour. I ordered the Gasket kit from Pittsburgh , that's where they keep Forest busy.

BTW,, you are a lucky / smart victim....you have an warranty on your side, otherwise you would be as upset as me...they quoted me 24k. I bet ya I come in under $7500 and have a better running engine with quality valves that will last a lifetime.
I obviously missed the posting of the one who has the "WARRANTY" that is paying for these repairs.

Who is this warranty company?????
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Navigator View Post
If that's the case...he shouldn't be upset...I am sure he realizes that his employer is screwing people over....if he is a Cummins mechanic he should also fill the general public as to how to fix this problem once and for all. Hell, if I can figure it out someone that works on Cummins or with Cummins day in and out...should be able to identify the problem in seconds and help everyone involved...They have to know the quick fix...the trucks seem to live...the mechanics have to have notice only the motorhomes blow up...come on! Spill the beans!

I am glad they got you up and running...there really are some good people out there on the Highways...I meet a guy named Eric with Hilly Billy towing out of Fairmont, he rescued me roadside...brought a rig for the coach and a smaller truck for the Harley trailer.....guy called me a few days later to see what I found on the engine...who does that? That's a good man! Ever have troubles in that area...Hill Billy is your answer.

He is probably restricted by his employer as to what he can say about his "work product" in a public forum without approval from the corporate overlords. That's likely why he was somewhat oblique in his responses. He, too, has an idea of why these engines eat valves but mentioned he couldn't state it in a public forum.

Tags
cummins, valve