Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Cummins no start

I changed the fuel filters on a 275 cummins in a 2001 coachman motorhome. unit ran fine before changing now will not start. if i run a direct wire to pump unit will run. any help appreciated.
nicholst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Based on what you said you probably have air in the system. When yu changed the filters did you fill the filters with diesel first?

Did you change the small o ring? On the chassis filter there is a small o ring that could fall out while changing. There is also an oil ring on the Engine filter but it probably won't fall out, but should be changed.

Did you bleed the system?
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

did you fill the filter with fuel before you installed it? you probably got air in the system that you are going to need to bleed off. if you didn't fill it take it back off and fill. then if it doesn't start bleed the injectors. mine is the mechanical injector so i don't know how to bleed your electrical injection. someone here will know, if not google bleeding the injectors cat _____ (engine moden #).
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins gave me a procedure for bleeding the ISB.

After you filled your filters.

For the following you do not want the engine to run:

1 Turn key to ON position. Lift pump will run about 5 seconds.

2 Turn key to "bump" the starter and back off the key. Lift pump will run about 30 seconds.

3 Turn key "OFF"

4 Repeat Steps 1 thru 3 about 5 or 6 times.

Now try to start the Engine. It may smoke when starting but that is normal.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholst View Post
I changed the fuel filters on a 275 cummins in a 2001 coachman motorhome. unit ran fine before changing now will not start. if i run a direct wire to pump unit will run. any help appreciated.
If it runs when powered up that way , did you check all the fuses in the ignition circuits ??
Can you post a picture of where you wired up to make it run?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholst View Post
Please tell us what will not start. Does diesel engine turn over, but won't run?

Is the wire you are running to the lift pump?

What "unit will run" with the wire attached? The diesel engine will turn over but not run? Only the pump runs? The diesel motor starts and runs?
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

cummins no start

The RV turns over but will not start, we ran a wire to the lift pump and then it fires up. Can keep it running hat way but when we remove the wire it shuts down.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Skip previously asked about fuses. There is a chance that something contacted the line to the lift pump that has now been cleared. As Skip suggested check the fuses.

But there is some reason the fuse blew. You could follow the original wire going to the lift pump and see if it was squashed in the process of changing the filters. Sometimes a squashed wire will make a light contact to ground that will burn off at 'power on' while also blowing the fuse. Then with the fuse blown the circuit will not function. If this is the case repair the squashed point by re-insulating the wire or cut the wire at the squash and then crimp a butt splice to re-join the two wires. If you find a squashed wire you need the fix the reason it got squashed. Re-route the wire and/or get some plastic split flex tubing at an auto parts store and slip it over the wire for additional protection.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could also be one of the water in fuel senors or lines. If the computer thinks water is in the filter it will not start by not letting the lift pump turn on. Happened to me once. no light but I saw a water in fuel code thrown on my vmspc. Replaced he sensor and it started right up. It would be nice to know if your throwing any codes.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #10

No Start

Thank you for the information, I will be working on this tonight for my frirend and trying a few of the suggestions. Kind of weird that it ran previosly and now will not start. Know it is likely something simple.
Will keep you all posted as to what we find or if we need more help.
Have a great day all.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #11

Sorry for the delay in letting know the outcome. We ended up finding 3 fuses in the battery box that had blown. Replaced them and all works fine. Thank you for all the valuable input. Greatly appreciated.

Tags
cummins