RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Take a look at this thread from the Alpine forum. It's post #13. This bluetooth OBD2 reader for $80 plus a Deutsch-9-pin-to-OBD2 pigtail and the Cummins android phone ap is all you need.

Engine Diagnostic Fault Codes
I checked it out, it only fits an OBD II port = for gas engines.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not this one. It looks identical to the Cummins Inline Mini sans the color.

https://diagnosticsuperstore.com/pro...IaAlPHEALw_wcB

mevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Not this one. It looks identical to the Cummins Inline Mini sans the color.

https://diagnosticsuperstore.com/pro...IaAlPHEALw_wcB
Yup, I missed that one, thanks; much less money than the Cummins item.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The trouble with your links is, that blue link item only connects to a laptop. My questions are about the Cummins type item that connects to a smart phone.
There is lots of good info here, and that's exactly why we are here. No one knows it all, all together we come close though.
??? -https://express.google.com/u/0/product/3315911470765055348_3312875073357701444_5916206?ut m_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_cont ent=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-gktvlmqgbv&gtim=CIno2LOh8NPXZhDY4q3_rpie1JsBGMCSsT oiA1VTRCigtrDhBTCujOkC&utm_campaign=5916206&gclid= EAIaIQobChMI__Ktx7-f3wIVCVmGCh2ANQ0pEAQYASABEgLOOvD_BwE
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #19

Quote:
The trouble with your links is, that blue link item only connects to a laptop. My questions are about the Cummins type item that connects to a smart phone.
There is lots of good info here, and that's exactly why we are here. No one knows it all, all together we come close though.
Just a guess, but I think all this "Fluff Info" is why we all read and respond to these Posts.

Lots of good Info can be had. Just not in every Post.

------------------

After a quick Google serch - https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...SABEgLOOvD_BwE

and - https://diagnosticsuperstore.com/pro...SABEgLFYfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Nexiq-Technol...ag=d_2b_a_p-20

https://diagnosticlink.nexiq.com/Sho...CategoryId=174

https://www.autoscaners.ru/data/nexi...tup_Manual.pdf
Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can read your codes for free on the LBCU. Read your manual.
Then call Freightliner to interpert.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not all LBCU. My 08 won’t.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #22

Well I bought a 9 pin to OBD cable for $11 on amazon then I bought a BT $8 scanner and hooked it up and using the Cummins fault code app was able to clear some inactive codes. All for about $20. If I could find an inexpensive app that would let me do a parked regen I'd be happy!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #23

Lots of confusion here....

Like Mackwrench is saying, the vehicle supports one or more diagnostic protocols. OBDII is only one. And, that typically isn't found on a large Diesel. Even Cummins gets confused on which protocol is on which vehicle...but they are the ones to ask. Some vehicles support more than one protocol...

Then there is the connector on the vehicle. Typically (very) one foot away from the steering column, and optionally also in the engine bay. There is OBDII (which looks like a parallelogram) and the round Deutsch connectors that most diesels use. There are two different pin configurations that start to indicate the protocol that might be used.

Then there is the hardware that connects to the diagnostic connector. Must support both the connector type AND the protocol(s). Most all of the cheap OBDII ones are made in China and are using pirated chips based on the ELM327 chipset. Most don't work very well but certainly are cheap.

Then there is the communication means to the software. Can be a serial cable, Wifi or bluetooth are the most common. Some diagnostic hardware will not work with Apple products via bluetooth (an Apple decision).

Then there is the diagnostic software running on the PC or smartphone / tablet. That has to be compatible with the diagnostic hardware, the computing device it is running on AND to protocol(s).

then there is the level of support the software can handle. The Cheap solutions only do the bare minimum and aren't tested on real vehicles. Typically OBDII government standarized and required Only.
The Middle cost ones can talk to the base vehicle systems and maybe ABS brakes and might have some testing on real vehicles (some "Enhanced Data")
The dealership versions for the vehicles that they were designed to support can talk to most all of the vehicle systems and ARE tested and ARE very expensive (Proprietary Data level like "Remote door Unlock").
You can get a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) but no description of what that means (call Cummins).

And then there is a mapping between symptoms (DTC and other test results) and the FIX...that is where the state of the art is. Some of which is covered in a patent I have and in the brains of my OEM peers. Today that is best supported in the OEMs diagnostic procedures which aren't generally available to the vehicle owner without paying for that. This is the area that I am geeked with because it applies to ALL diagnostics - not just vehicles...medical etc. The software industry tools are making this very interesting. Surprising, IMHO, Medical is behind automotive on this subject. Probably because of the bureaucracy and cost to do anything different.

So, what's the confusion?

Because of all of the possible choices and combinations, You will need to advise: What is the year / make / model / engine / fuel source of the vehicle. And a picture of the connector in the vehicle.
And what smartphone / tablet / OS on a PC you are using
And if you want cable / wifi / or bluetooth
And what level of data you need
And your budget
And your need: casual vehicle owner or technician or engineer

To get a good recommendation on solution suite.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Lots of confusion here....

Like Mackwrench is saying, the vehicle supports one or more diagnostic protocols. OBDII is only one. And, that typically isn't found on a large Diesel. Even Cummins gets confused on which protocol is on which vehicle...but they are the ones to ask. Some vehicles support more than one protocol...

Then there is the connector on the vehicle. Typically (very) one foot away from the steering column, and optionally also in the engine bay. There is OBDII (which looks like a parallelogram) and the round Deutsch connectors that most diesels use. There are two different pin configurations that start to indicate the protocol that might be used.

Then there is the hardware that connects to the diagnostic connector. Must support both the connector type AND the protocol(s). Most all of the cheap OBDII ones are made in China and are using pirated chips based on the ELM327 chipset. Most don't work very well but certainly are cheap.

Then there is the communication means to the software. Can be a serial cable, Wifi or bluetooth are the most common. Some diagnostic hardware will not work with Apple products via bluetooth (an Apple decision).

Then there is the diagnostic software running on the PC or smartphone / tablet. That has to be compatible with the diagnostic hardware, the computing device it is running on AND to protocol(s).

then there is the level of support the software can handle. The Cheap solutions only do the bare minimum and aren't tested on real vehicles.
The Middle cost ones can talk to the base vehicle systems and maybe ABS brakes and might have some testing on real vehicles
The dealership versions for the vehicles that they were designed to support can talk to most all of the vehicle systems and ARE tested and ARE very expensive.
You can get a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) but no description of that.

And then there is a mapping between symptoms (DTC and other test results) and the FIX...that is where the state of the art is. Some of which is covered in a patent I have. Today that is best supported in the OEMs diagnostic procedures which aren't generally available to the vehicle owner without paying for that.

So, what's the confusion?
Clear as ICE - Very Thick ICE no confusion
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So very true Dav L. And why I didn't feel like bargain shopping. I watched the Service Advisor use the very same Inline Mini on my coach to read and clear faults. I asked if it was for sale...and bought it that day.

Same thing on my 2013 VW Beetle TDI. Working on a failed lock mechanism it threw an Airbag fault. I read that it is common for that to happen. Looked around for a proper coder reader. Ended up paying $200 for a Ross-Tech VCDS. I knew it would work for this and future issues.

The game is very confusing. Of course when I paid a little over $300 for the Cumins Inline Mini I wasn't in shock...but I might have serious re-consideration at a $450 price tag.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #26

For historical, here is a pic of what is probably the worlds first OBDII bluetooth scan tool. This came after the world's first 802.11b version (WiFi). Which came after the first 900mhz version (before Wifi was created). ELM didn't exist yet.
If my memory is correct, it was early 90's vintage.
Co-Developed by my work with Ease Diagnostics of Penn. who is still strong in the scan tool business. The Wifi "WVI" version got Tool of the Year award in the mid 90s. Note the Lucent 802.11b Wifi card
This was the conceptual basis of Chrysler's "WiTech" / "WiAdvisor" WiFi system that is now used worldwide.

I go back to my internal meetings within DaimlerChrysler on "who cares about wireless", "technicians want a cabled scan tool...."
Well, I guess the industry has finally figured that one out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OBDIIBlueV1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	229070   Click image for larger version

Name:	WVI.png
Views:	17
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	229074  

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #27

Dav L, thank you very much for your explanations of how and why these items work.
My summary of your explanations is; one really does get what they pay for! hopefully Santa (Mrs) will get me the Cummins device this year.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Dav L, thank you very much for your explanations of how and why these items work.
My summary of your explanations is; one really does get what they pay for! hopefully Santa (Mrs) will get me the Cummins device this year.
If you got a dealership level scan tool for $300...that is a heck of a deal. You have a link to it?
Typical dealership tools are $5K - 15k for each station.
You only need to fix one thing, or tweek before a failure ONCE to pay for it.

Tags
cummins