Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Cummins Turbo Failure

The turbo on my 2007 Monaco Camelot has failed. The mechanic is advising that since the failure of the turbo resulted in the air compressor for the brakes to suck oil thru it that the compressor also needs replacing. I can't understand why some oil mist going thru the compressor would damage it. It is still working fine. Since it seems several individuals have had turbo failures is this typical?
bandmmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Look at how your air intake is plumbed. In my case the clean air for the compressor is before the turbo so there would be no contamination into the compressor.

Check the line routing and inspect the inside.

I doubt if an oil mist would have ruined your compressor and would be hesitant to change. Get a 2nd opinion.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

I think you need to find another "mechanic". This one is slinging you a line of brown.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

I learn something new everyday--but not today. Clean air intake for compressor is after the filter but before the turbo. If you have a variable-pitch turbo--compressed air from compressor is supplied to turbo to change vane pitch--cant see oil getting up the compressed air line. Think I'd get a second opinion on both the turbo and the compressor.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Not all compressors pull air before the turbo. Not sure which ones do. Most are fed boost air.

The compressor intake line goes directly to the intake manifold.

If your turbo self distructed, parts of it may have been pulled into the compressor. That could score the cylinders and check valves. It would also have gone thru engine.

Just oil shouldn't be a problem, but chunks of metal, not so good.

It does seem that the stuff would need to travel a long way to the intake manifold.

You probably can get away with leaving it, but if you need to remove a bunch if stuff, to get to the compressor, your doing it twice.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not all compressors pull air before the turbo. Not sure which ones do. Most are fed boost air.

The compressor intake line goes directly to the intake manifold.

If your turbo self distructed, parts of it may have been pulled into the compressor. That could score the cylinders and check valves.

Just oil, not bad, but chunks of metal, not so good.

You may get away with leaving it, but if you need to remove the turbo to get to the compressor, your doing it twice.
This..... More than likely the OP has compressor inlet that's plumbed in intake manifold. Oil and debris would have to pass through the charge air cooler to make it to compressor. if it was my engine I'd have guy remove the compressor inlet and CHECK for debris, unless you had a major failure and oil running out exhaust pipe I'd probably leave compressor alone. But make sure charge air cooler is removed washed out, flushed of all oil and debris. This is impossible to do in chassis...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

I had a lot of black smoke coming out the tailpipe and there was oil coming thru the compressor. The vent where the air brake exhausts contaminates was blowing out oil.
bandmmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

I don't see how some engine oil would hurt the compressor.

It would suck it in and pump it right out again.

The air dryer would have blown most it it out. I would have that serviced along with draining the tanks a few times.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
While compressor may be OK, Air dryer will also need service....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #10

How did you determine that your turbo failed, I am not getting more than 15 psi on my boost when going up steep grades and trying to isolate the issue?
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

Doesn't air going to the compressor have to go through the dryer, or is the dryer on the output side?

Whatever, we blew an oil seal on a turbo, resulting in an almost immediate loss of oil pressure/oil. Totally covered/rustproofed our Honda toad.

There was no talk of replacing our compressor regarding that incident.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #12

I've changed some turbos is in the past. Never gave a thought about the air compressor.

I did open an "air to coolant" intercooler on a Cat. Vacuumed up the turbo blades and buttoned it back up.

The dryer is after the compressor. The compressing of the air is what squeezes the moisture out of the it. The dryer collects the moisture then expelles it.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post
How did you determine that your turbo failed, I am not getting more than 15 psi on my boost when going up steep grades and trying to isolate the issue?
If you haven't, you should replace your fuel filters. Many times, that is the cause of low boost and low power.

A failed turbo creates NO boost or extreme amounts of ehxaust smoke.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post

The easiest check (also the cheapest), is to inspect the 4" flex connectors in the intake plumbing from the turbo to the CAC and from the CAC to the intake manifold. A small hole or a slipped clamp would result in your low boost pressure.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins