Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #43

Latest update. The engine is out and the tranny has been removed. Now for one bit of good news. I was told that they could not locate a 350 so they are installing a new crate 400!!! That is a nice bit of news. Hoping that turns out to be true.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #44
Administrator Emeritus

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>ISL 400 400 1200 @ 1300
ISL 370 370 1200 @ 1300
ISL 350 350 1050 @ 1300[/list]
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #45

I received the recall letter from Cummins last month and was finally able to get it to the local Cummins dealer in Knoxville this past week. Picked it yesterday, it took them an entire day to do it. The mechanic, who reprogramed the ECM, said that the sensor will not send a "Stop Engine" light, but a "Check Engine" light. At which time I should get to a Cummins shop ASAP. Hmmm, hope I am not in the middle of Death Valley at the time. My rig has 17K+ miles on it.

Cummins ISL 350 hp
Gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #46

Mid Atlantic Campers
Does anyone here know if the CK eng light comes on, and you CK your engine, and find that it has coolent and plenty of oil, how much longer it will run before messing the bed ??? Is Cummins saying the engine can continue to be driven ?

Gyrene, you know it will be Death Valley or worse if Murphy has anything to do with it.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #47

I believe the "fix" light just tells you that the engine has failed but not yet exploded. You have already suffered the failure and they are just trying to save themselves money by not replacing the entire engine.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Focht:
Latest update. The engine is out and the tranny has been removed. Now for one bit of good news. I was told that they could not locate a 350 so they are installing a new crate 400!!! That is a nice bit of news. Hoping that turns out to be true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good-check to make sure nothing else has to be changed on the chassis(radiator,etc.) with the additional HP. '06 or '07 engine?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:37 AM   #49
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe the "fix" light just tells you that the engine has failed but not yet exploded. You have already suffered the failure and they are just trying to save themselves money by not replacing the entire engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It indicates that the engine is about to throw a rod and come apart.

If the engine throws a rod and knocks a hole in the crankcase, then your coach can be damaged, your toad can be damaged and the possibility of a fire exists.

You want to stop the engine as soon as possible.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #50

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Does anyone here know if the CK eng light comes on, and you CK your engine, and find that it has coolent and plenty of oil, how much longer it will run before messing the bed ??? Is Cummins saying the engine can continue to be driven ?

Gyrene, you know it will be Death Valley or worse if Murphy has anything to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are saying to get off the road ASAP. The mechanic who told the person to drive to nearest repair facility was wrong. I would not chance the oil/coolant thing. If the problem has been limited to a scuffed piston at that point; neither would indicate any problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #51

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe the "fix" light just tells you that the engine has failed but not yet exploded. You have already suffered the failure and they are just trying to save themselves money by not replacing the entire engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It indicates that the engine is about to throw a rod and come apart.

If the engine throws a rod and knocks a hole in the crankcase, then your coach can be damaged, your toad can be damaged and the possibility of a fire exists.

You want to stop the engine as soon as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sensor used for this fix is same as used on all 2007 engines for alerting for blowby under the 2007 emmission regs. The reason for the blowby would have to be determined but it would be unlikely it would be for this same reason i.e. the mis-machined rod and its failure.

In years past, the check engine light could be somewhat ignored and one could drive to nearest Cummmins shop. Given the addition of the sensor, whether for the recall or new 2007 engines, and its function of detecting blowby, if alerted I will get to a safe point off road and call for a tow. I see this added sensor as a positive and have had the sensor added to my non-recall covered engine.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nathan how is the new engine job going? Have they started.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #53

I just got off the phone and she is back together! They are giving it test drives this morning and making sure they have everything buttoned up. We should be in the coach trying to settle back in by lunch.

We are all missing our home very much....

Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats great Nathan can only wish you and your family the best.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #55

We are back on the road and heading for the next adventure!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #56
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Did you get the 400?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote