RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Well this certainly is an eye opener for the fuel additives we all use or don't use.

I have an excavation business and am surrounded by diesels. I use power service in winter when really cold, keep filters clean and you mostly won't have a problem. I use Howes also on occasion and use either throughout the year for cleaning purposes. I have noticed a difference with the products in my old 87 Cummins big cam three, runs a little snappier with additives. So anyway I use these products on a part time basis and it makes me feel good on a maintenance level. I service all my own equipment and am right on top of oil and filter changes.

Onward to the ISC 8.3 CAPS. We have a new to us CC with this motor. I am reading more and more about the injection pump failures. The list in this article that shows actual lubricity amounts is great. I am considering and probably will implement using this product in the rv to help offset any issues with lubricity. Will it help? I think so and will make me feel better.

So its funny how to end this. Not a usual user of additives but want my baby (rv) to have the best. Who wants a break down when going on a fun trip? Why not I say and I'll have another!

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Well this certainly is an eye opener for the fuel additives we all use or don't use.

I have an excavation business and am surrounded by diesels. I use power service in winter when really cold, keep filters clean and you mostly won't have a problem. I use Howes also on occasion and use either throughout the year for cleaning purposes. I have noticed a difference with the products in my old 87 Cummins big cam three, runs a little snappier with additives. So anyway I use these products on a part time basis and it makes me feel good on a maintenance level. I service all my own equipment and am right on top of oil and filter changes.

Onward to the ISC 8.3 CAPS. We have a new to us CC with this motor. I am reading more and more about the injection pump failures. The list in this article that shows actual lubricity amounts is great. I am considering and probably will implement using this product in the rv to help offset any issues with lubricity. Will it help? I think so and will make me feel better.

So its funny how to end this. Not a usual user of additives but want my baby (rv) to have the best. Who wants a break down when going on a fun trip? Why not I say and I'll have another!
Nice looking coach! you might want to read this with the fuel system you have.
Fuel pressure gauge install on CAPS fuel system

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #17

Thanks for the compliment! I really love this older coach. It is in awesome shape as it came from Az except for the clear coat. That will need to be addressed this year I think. Any recommendations on a shop on east coast? Pa to fla? Underneath she is like the day she was born. Being from the east coast I have never seen something so rust free. Anyway... I have been following this thread and might look into adding this pump etc. It probably is a good idea. I may call brazels and order one. I would be happy with a restriction gauge on primary and pressure on secondary. Thanks.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Here's some good research and info on diesel additives:

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Lift Pumps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

That lubricity study is an eye-opener.

Some products that are popular-and cheap, perform worse than the basic diesel fuel itself.
That research study is very old dating back to 2007. Whether it is still relevant and valid, don't know.

I have attached the "official" report in PDF form.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf (130.7 KB, 85 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Thanks for the compliment! I really love this older coach. It is in awesome shape as it came from Az except for the clear coat. That will need to be addressed this year I think. Any recommendations on a shop on east coast? Pa to fla? Underneath she is like the day she was born. Being from the east coast I have never seen something so rust free. Anyway... I have been following this thread and might look into adding this pump etc. It probably is a good idea. I may call brazels and order one. I would be happy with a restriction gauge on primary and pressure on secondary. Thanks.
Are you from PA? Same here, Southeastern PA. No good RV shops around here.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Are you from PA? Same here, Southeastern PA. No good RV shops around here.
Hmmmm....not what I wanted to hear. Looking to relocate to this area from the PNW. Have a 2001 CC. Used to going to OMC or similar quality service centers; one day drive. Was hoping to find one like those here.
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
On the newer 600ISX is it recommended that a fuel additive be used to help lubricate injectors, etc? Seems I heard that somewhere but have not found a source one way or the other.

if your using, please explain what and why. Thanks.
Is that what your manual says? I seriously doubt it. If any added stuff was needed, Cummins would have it in the manual. Otherwise, it is an old wife's tale
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That research study is very old dating back to 2007. Whether it is still relevant and valid, don't know.

I have attached the "official" report in PDF form.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for this post Richard. Very interesting especially for those of us running the pre 2007 antiques.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Truck driver!

First of all let me just say not all diesel fuel you pump in your tank is clean additives are great for dissolving particles that can get past a filter that can clog up a injectors plus it's away to keep your tanks clean and can improve MPG.
Brian65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Brian65: "First of all let me just say not all diesel fuel you pump in your tank is clean additives are great for dissolving particles that can get past a filter that can clog up a injectors plus it's away to keep your tanks clean and can improve MPG."

Absolutely true Brian.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian65 View Post
First of all let me just say not all diesel fuel you pump in your tank is clean additives are great for dissolving particles that can get past a filter that can clog up a injectors plus it's away to keep your tanks clean and can improve MPG.
What is the name of the additive you use that will dissolve solid foreign particles(dirt) that can get by the fuel filter?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What is the name of the additive you use that will dissolve solid foreign particles(dirt) that can get by the fuel filter?
Ya, sounds like good stuff.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #27

Do you not think that if Cummins thought that particles that can get past the filter were harmful that they would spec a filter that would stop those particles ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #28

Hey Jleamo. Yes we live in Chester County Pa near Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pa. We have a local rv shop that is large, Stoltzfus rv. I have not used them for service yet as I perform most all of my own work. For my chassis inspections and service I don't want to do we have a great local truck shop that I am happy with. Let us know if you are in the area.

2007 Subaru Outback

Tags
diesel, fuel