RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Optilube XPD.... I buy it from Amazon and use it in the motorhome, which is fairly new to me, but have been using it in my Ram 6.7 for 170,000 miles. Never had a bad injector, never serviced a lift pump and I have never gelled. Can't prove a correlation, but I believe there is one. In the studies that I have read, Optilube provides the best lubricity, but maybe not the best injector cleaners. I am also a fan of SeaFoam for occasional cleaning. I throw that stuff in my motorhome, boat, atv, portable generator and even my lawn mower.

kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #30

And for me having dsl pickups since 1985 , an SUV, 2 motorhomes and a backhoe and have never used anything except antigel when it gets near zero out. 220,00 on 1 powerstroke, 172,000 on another and who knows with the rest and never a problem.

NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #31

X-2 NavadaNick, a good example of use of additives in the operating environment. As I stated in post 11, if pouring additives in your land yacht makes you feel good go for it.
Someone will be glad to sell you something.

Consider this when operating in extreme heat, generally speaking, diesel fuels flash as low as 126 F. and some additives will change that. I wonder what the asphalt temperature was this summer.

I am not suggesting additives should not be used, just use them wisely.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #32

A quart or two of the inexpensive ATF at every other fill up works best.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #33

Diesel Fuel Additives

I'm at a loss here!
Nothing has worked as well as Nothing for me.
Some feel better if they use Something. Have they ever tried Nothing? And what are the consequences of either Something or Nothing?
A conundrum, for sure!
Any other Nothing users out there that have had good results?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #34

I would be careful with fuel additives I was told that if you have an aqua hot it is not recommended because of the burning of the fuel in the aqua hot It may not burn correctly and cause problems
Random0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm at a loss here!
Nothing has worked as well as Nothing for me.
Some feel better if they use Something. Have they ever tried Nothing? And what are the consequences of either Something or Nothing?
A conundrum, for sure!
Any other Nothing users out there that have had good results?
i am with you. NOthing is just fine for me. When I travel very far north in the winter I might add antigel. but that is if it will be below zero and I might be there for a few days.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #36

No diesel additives. Maybe anti-gel if going to a cold place.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #37

Long story short... Diesel fuel without BIO has less lubricity than it used to have two decades ago. When they started removing sulfur from the fuel, the process they used also removed some of the lubricity. In order to maintain the lubricity, additives were engineered and mixed with the fuel before the fuel ever got to the refueling stations. This cost money... so do the math and follow the profits. There was a time when diesel fuel lubricity was hit or miss in certain parts of the country. I believe between 2006 - 2008... if you dig a little bit, you will find evidence that some companies that operated large fleets experienced premature pump failures on a regular basis. There was one such company in my area, a local dog food manufacturer, that ended up buying fuel lubricant additive in 50 gallon drums to supply their fleet during this time, directly because of fuel pump failures in their over the road trucks.

Since then, standards have been set for diesel fuel lubricity. I believe the current standard for the HFRR score of diesel fuel in the US is 520 max. (this is the minimum level of lubricity now allowed) Bosch stated in 2003 that 460 was borderline lubricity for their pumps, and that 380 was preferred. (lower HFRR score = more lubrous)

Here is an old Bosch presentation from 2003... a discussion on fuel lubricity:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline...22003bosch.pdf

There are plenty of pictures, charts, facts, and figures in that document that make a strong case for additional lubricity... I think this is perhaps most germane for those running older rigs whose injection pumps were designed around the older, more lubrous fuels.

Does this document apply to today's modern diesel engines? I'll be honest... I have no idea. I'd wager a guess that the common rail pumps use high end materials and some slick engineering to help overcome the lack of lubricity in modern diesel fuel. The company I mentioned previously has since modernized their fleet, and no longer adds the lubricant to the fuel. That said, common rail pumps are still mechanical devices that need lubrication. Is more lubricity better? Seems like it, but ultimately each of us has to make our own decision - Kool-aid drinkers and naysayers alike.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #38

Older thread here, and one of many if you search here, or CAT section of the board.

Some random thoughts:
-Some of us drive coaches with engines designed to run on good old Type II diesel
-Some of us drive coaches designed to run on new ULSD
-Some of us drive coaches designed to run on new ULSD + DEF
-Some of us never use any additives, regardless of any of the above categories
-Some of us use lubrication additives, at each fill up
-Some of us use lubrication and Biobor JF
-Some of us use cetane boosting additives
-Some of us...

Each of us makes a decision for ourselves. Mine is to use Optilube (two different kinds, depending upon where I'm driving) at each fill up. I also use Biobor JF at least every third fill up, and also just prior to storing fill up. I carry cetane booster for when I'm driving in the mountain regions of the country. (Don't forget, that the shift from Type II to ULSD, removed cetane too. So we get less power out of each gallon of diesel.... That reduces HP some too. This is especially so for engines designed to run on Type II diesel, vs ULSD. And also don't forget, that Biofuels, especially B20, also reduces power even more.). I also run injector cleaner thru a tank, at least twice a year.

I carry extra fuel filters, and an array of chemicals in case I need to do warfare from a bad batch of fuel.

I personally fill the additives help, injector cleaner too, the generator. (I'll run the generator when on those two tanks of injector cleaner fuel loads, even on a moderate load if AC is not needed, just to run it thru the generator.).

Over a year of traveling in our coach, this comes out to between $150-175 per year for these additives.

That has been my choice to make, and what I do.

I sure respect the right of others to have their own perspectives, and spend their money how they care to.

Best to all, travel safe, have fun!!
Smitty
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Mine is to use Optilube (two different kinds, depending upon where I'm driving) at each fill up.

I carry extra fuel filters, -a bad batch of fuel.
+1
boom done.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I am in the nothing camp, and having towed with diesel pickups since the 80's, no issues, but as said, to each his own
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #41
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a personal choice to use or not use additives. Many will say that they ran diesels for 30 years and no issues, but you never know that after 30 years and a day, you ruin a pump and or injectors. Many say, I don't use additives because Cummins doesn't recommend it....you would be wrong.

"Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program."

The above specifically talks about diesel fuel quality, not gelling or water issues.

Many will justify not spending the money by regurgitating old news. Sooooo, its your engine and your money, but don't criticize those you are willing to pay for a little extra insurance.

I been running OptiLube for over six years now. Has it saved a pump or injectors, I don't know, but I feel I'm doing that extra little bit to preserve my engine. I push my coach hard and it always runs well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins has now come out and is recommending an additive. "Power Service" brand. It's available almost everywhere.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel