Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #43

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins has now come out and is recommending an additive. "Power Service" brand. It's available almost everywhere.

hmmm

Cummins, Inc. Officially Recommends Power Service® Diesel Kleen +Cetane and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost For Optimized Engine Performance | Business Wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ps.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	179890  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's that stuff. My diesel mechanic recommends it and I've been using it for 4 years now Jimmy.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
My 2006 chassis 400 ISL hates biodiesel and will hesitate if I put in a few tanks of B20. Whenever I have to use B20, I put in about 20 oz of the fuel addictive and it runs like a charm.
Same here. My 350ISC as well as my genset hates biodiesel. When stationary and running my genset I leave a 2 ft black circle on the ground after running a few hours. When running straight diesel no issues. I put half a bottle of additive on fillup when biodiesel is purchased. It does make a big difference.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #46

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins has now come out and is recommending an additive. "Power Service" brand. It's available almost everywhere.
Yup..
Double dose of Power Service (for Bio fuel) for jell issues and a Biocide dosage for the prevention of algae. (One episode of algae in the fuel system made a true believer of me! ... really lightened my pocketbook)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
i bought / installed some of this the other day and i have a question:

we've got a mechanical 8.3 in our new-to-us '95 dynasty that lived it's entire life in snow country. the PO has a couple of other additives in the bay but we're in silicon valley and it likely won't see snow again while we own it ... do i need anything else but ^^this^^?

thx in advance for the feedback.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #48

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
i bought / installed some of this the other day and i have a question:

we've got a mechanical 8.3 in our new-to-us '95 dynasty that lived it's entire life in snow country. the PO has a couple of other additives in the bay but we're in silicon valley and it likely won't see snow again while we own it ... do i need anything else but ^^this^^?

thx in advance for the feedback.
Our RV also has a '95 mechanical 8.3 300hp. We live in the Pacific Northwet and have used Power Service exclusively- regular in summer and anti-gel in winter. It's all we use and after 80K miles, no fuel problems (now, having said that......!). BTW, we also keep the fuel tank full through winter storage. In No. Cal. you should be OK just using Power Service.
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Me thinks the 'partnership' announced between Cummins and Powerservice MAY have had some money exchanged in order to get the 'partnership' going

Probably much more about money than anything else as how many decades have they said no additives ? nothing in my deezles other than fuel in the last 40 years, but to each his own.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd stage View Post
Our RV also has a '95 mechanical 8.3 300hp. We live in the Pacific Northwet and have used Power Service exclusively- regular in summer and anti-gel in winter. It's all we use and after 80K miles, no fuel problems (now, having said that......!). BTW, we also keep the fuel tank full through winter storage. In No. Cal. you should be OK just using Power Service.
good to hear, thx for the feedback. our tank is just over 1/2, so after i replace my ignition switch this weekend i’ll take a lap around the bay area, then fill up in case we have more downtime.

thx again.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #51

Power Services is the recommended additive for Cummins now. Gray bottle for summer/warm weather, white bottle for winter/cold weather.

The recommendations of transmission fluid may be OK for older engines, but is going to be murder on your new engine/emissions system.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last month or so I posted a coupon for this product and also bought two large bottles. I used them in the MH during the last trip to FL and back to NJ. I can report that I notice a significant improvement in power. We pulled 9K trailer down and 3.5K empty back. I was able to maintain speed easier and we got 7.5 MPH throughout the entire trip at posted speed limits.

I expect that I will continue to use the product.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Power Services is the recommended additive for Cummins now. Gray bottle for summer/warm weather, white bottle for winter/cold weather.

The recommendations of transmission fluid may be OK for older engines, but is going to be murder on your new engine/emissions system.
You are right I run a rich dose of the Diesel Kleen. The one thing now one seams to understand is the Cetane numbers are as important as lubing the injectors.
I hate to hearer people still believing the false bit about using transmission fluid in your fuel. I also hate to hearer people who brag they haven't used any additive for XXX years. I hate to tell you but this is now where near the fuel you use to pump. I hope you have more faith than me that the fuel you pump meets all the required specks for your engine.
By the way Cat now recommends a additive. Their big point is it is to "restore performance" not improve it.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #54

Power Service for me...Silver bottle in summer...White bottle in winter! Has worked for me..no issues..better than "nothing"!!!:danc e:

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #55

Interesting to read all those who swear by fuel additives.
Yet the vast majority use none. Neither in commercial or RV diesel applications. And everyone keeps on a truckin without missing a beat.
Just sayin.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Interesting to read all those who swear by fuel additives.
Yet the vast majority use none. Neither in commercial or RV diesel applications. And everyone keeps on a truckin without missing a beat.
Just sayin.

As a retired auto engineer, we constantly tested engines with future blends of fuel that might be put on the market. The engines are tested and tuned for best performance based on these test. Your best bet is to follow the owners manual and none of them that I am aware of recommend any fuel additives, in fact most manuals discourage fuel additives.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel