Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Diesel Fuel Additives

On the newer 600ISX is it recommended that a fuel additive be used to help lubricate injectors, etc? Seems I heard that somewhere but have not found a source one way or the other.

if your using, please explain what and why. Thanks.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
On the newer 600ISX is it recommended that a fuel additive be used to help lubricate injectors, etc? Seems I heard that somewhere but have not found a source one way or the other.

if your using, please explain what and why. Thanks.

I don't believe that Cummins recommends any additives except an anti gel in very cold conditions. Practically, it's getting difficult to find diesel without a bio diesel component. The bio adds lubricity.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2006 chassis 400 ISL hates biodiesel and will hesitate if I put in a few tanks of B20. Whenever I have to use B20, I put in about 20 oz of the fuel addictive and it runs like a charm.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I don't believe that Cummins recommends any additives except an anti gel in very cold conditions. Practically, it's getting difficult to find diesel without a bio diesel component. The bio adds lubricity.
Actually Cummins now sells their own additive, I bought three bottles of it last year for storage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
My 2006 chassis 400 ISL hates biodiesel and will hesitate if I put in a few tanks of B20. Whenever I have to use B20, I put in about 20 oz of the fuel addictive and it runs like a charm.
Which fuel "addictive" do you use since Cummins only recommends their own additive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

As mentioned above - a bio-diesel component will add lubricity, but it also creates questions about fuel ph and hydrocarbon utilizing bacteria.

I always add Biobor JF to my fuel. I think the JF is a reference to jet fuel which is basically kerosene and chemically close to diesel #2. This additive is economical - 1/2 ounce treats 40 gallons and it kills hydrocarbon utilizing bacteria - which many people call diesel algae - while adding lubricity.

Gives me peace of mind.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

I've used Stanadyne Blue label in all my diesels. Yes it adds lubricity.

Since I just put new 60hp injectors in my Ram 2500 I definitely add it at every fill up.
monitormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #8

I have used Power Service Cetane Boost for a few years in my old ISC that was designed before low sulphur and bio fuels. I use this product in particular because it gets pretty good reviews (not the best mind you) and is available almost anywhere at a better price than most other products on the market.
When I first started using this product, my TripTek was showing my fuel mileage had increased by almost 1 MPG. So after a few thousand miles, I did not add any for three or four tanks to see what happens. Belive it or not, fuel mileage dropped. So I started adding one liter per fill and sure enough, fuel mileage came back to 8.5 - 9.0 from 7.5 - 8.5. So, I tried leaving it out again and yes, my mileage dropped again below 8.5.
From the results of that experiment I now add 1 liter per fill (usually 100+_ gal) at every fill and I consistently get 8.5+ MPG.

I'm a Beliver

Power Service
Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's some good research and info on diesel additives:

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Lift Pumps
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Here's some good research and info on diesel additives:

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Lift Pumps
That lubricity study is an eye-opener.
Some products that are popular-and cheap, perform worse than the basic diesel fuel itself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
My personal choice for just plain lubrication and cleaning concerns is Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt. Per 100 gal. and maybe every other fueling. ATF is high detergent and high lubrication in value and burns clean, gives a little kick in HP too.
When operating in extreme conditions ex. heat, high humidity or cold then I go for the additive required for that climate. The cost benefits in gaining 1/2 or 1 mile per gal. just isn't there for me unless you have your knees in the breeze all the time.
Just another option to be considered. If pouring additives in your land yacht gives you peace of mind put it in.
All that stated, I am still shoving a pre DEF and dossier valve emissions DP up and down the road and that is by design.
Don't get cought up in weeds about what works the best pay attention to the environment you'll be operating in and keep the fuel filters serviced.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

Nothing has worked better than nothing for me.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Nothing has worked better than nothing for me.
Same here. I get 8.5 with nothing added
Old 09-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

Cummins doesnt recommend additives. Cummins Filtration, a division of Cummins markets and sells additive. I have had dsl powered pickups, motorhomes and equipment since 1985 and have never used additives except anti-gel additive when it gets near zero. My 2016 mh and my 1999 Cat backhoe are both happy without additives.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel