Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #57

It's my money and I'll do what I want too!
Jus' sayin'...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random0 View Post
I would be careful with fuel additives I was told that if you have an aqua hot it is not recommended because of the burning of the fuel in the aqua hot It may not burn correctly and cause problems
Good point... no one else is commenting on. What does a fuel additive do to the performance of an Aqua Hot system?

I recently tried Power Service Diesel Kleen in my 2012 Dodge 3500/6.7 Cummins. I can't really tell any difference in the power or mpg. It may be beneficial, from a lubricity stand point, but no difference in performance for me.

I will hold off on putting it in the MH, until I learn more about the effect on the Aqua Hot.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #59

Very good point, TRebel, on the AquaHot performance question. When I read your post, I decided to call AquaHot's technical support line and was told that diesel additives should have no detrimental performance effects on their systems. However, he said, when you add cleaner additives, they can sometimes break down particles and such in your tank and fuel lines that end up being trapped in all of the coach's fuel filters, including the AquaHot filters. If you change your filters on schedule, you should have no problems. He also added that anti-gel additives have no effect on the AquaHot systems.

I've used Power Service's Diesel Kleen for years in Dodge Cummins diesels and have experienced about a 10% improvement on mileage. However, I have been holding off on adding it to the 450ISL in my coach because Cummins had not endorsed an additive . . .now they have. Of all the purported benefits, I like the idea of having cleaner injectors, for sure.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem15 View Post
Very good point, TRebel, on the AquaHot performance question. When I read your post, I decided to call AquaHot's technical support line and was told that diesel additives should have no detrimental performance effects on their systems. However, he said, when you add cleaner additives, they can sometimes break down particles and such in your tank and fuel lines that end up being trapped in all of the coach's fuel filters, including the AquaHot filters. If you change your filters on schedule, you should have no problems. He also added that anti-gel additives have no effect on the AquaHot systems.

I've used Power Service's Diesel Kleen for years in Dodge Cummins diesels and have experienced about a 10% improvement on mileage. However, I have been holding off on adding it to the 450ISL in my coach because Cummins had not endorsed an additive . . .now they have. Of all the purported benefits, I like the idea of having cleaner injectors, for sure.
Thanks for the info!
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some of the anti additive people should do a little research. Start with this.
The Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA), which represents worldwide manufacturers of internal combustion engines and on-highway medium- and heavy-duty trucks, believes cetane is "a year-round concern." They state that "Generally, diesel engines will operate better year-round on fuels with Cetane Numbers above 50, compared to fuels with cetane numbers of the national average of 45." Source: The Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association
Or this link
Cummins, Inc. Officially Recommends Power ServiceĀ® Diesel Kleen +Cetane and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost For Optimized Engine Performance | Business Wire
Also found on the Caterpillar web site.
https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/256-4968
But the deniers will not change because they can't embrace that things change.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had no issues running my Aqua Hot with Power Services Diesel Kleen.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #63

Diesel Fuel Additives

"Generally, diesel engines will operate better year-round on fuels with Cetane Numbers above 50, compared to fuels with cetane numbers of the national average of 45."

So, what risk is there?
Warnings are only valid when there are cause/effect statistics, and until aligned with my motor, ALL motors, it is moot.
So far, NOTHING is the answer that works for me.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Some of the anti additive people should do a little research. Start with this.
The Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA), which represents worldwide manufacturers of internal combustion engines and on-highway medium- and heavy-duty trucks, believes cetane is "a year-round concern." They state that "Generally, diesel engines will operate better year-round on fuels with Cetane Numbers above 50, compared to fuels with cetane numbers of the national average of 45." Source: The Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association
Or this link
Cummins, Inc. Officially Recommends Power ServiceĀ® Diesel Kleen +Cetane and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost For Optimized Engine Performance | Business Wire
Also found on the Caterpillar web site.
https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/256-4968
But the deniers will not change because they can't embrace that things change.
Bill
So why don't diesel engine manufacturers require the use of additives as a condition of the warranty?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #65

At any truck stop, Diesel#2 blends B20 (Bio-Diesel) and I read that biodiesel gives better lubricity for engines. Aren't we already have lubricity in the fuel?

I asked Cummins and they referred me Service Bulletin Number 3379001. They do not recommend any additive, even did not said anything after pointing them to their own website endorsing Power Service.

Service Bulletin says:
>> Engines required to use ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (15 ppm sulfur maximum) are not allowed to blend used lubricating oil with diesel.
Seichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #66

I will say this. I use power Kleen and although I can say that it cleans. I have had it clean up my backhoe as it was idling rough or low on response at low rpms. This product cleaned it up and cured that problem. I use this product in my transfer tanks and rv. Also use white bottle in winter.

As far as aquahot there is a dealer near me that does more work on boats in marinas than rv's but he told me the product causes no harm but does slightly increase residue in the burn chamber.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seichi View Post
At any truck stop, Diesel#2 blends B20 (Bio-Diesel) and I read that biodiesel gives better lubricity for engines. Aren't we already have lubricity in the fuel?

I asked Cummins and they referred me Service Bulletin Number 3379001. They do not recommend any additive, even did not said anything after pointing them to their own website endorsing Power Service.

Service Bulletin says:
>> Engines required to use ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (15 ppm sulfur maximum) are not allowed to blend used lubricating oil with diesel.
Sulfur is what was used for lubricity in diesel fuel. The replacement may or maynot do an adequate job. Yes Biodiesel does help with the problem but doesn't have the same energy density as regular diesel.
I run the diesel kleen more for the added cetane and to keep the system clean than the lubricity.
The service bulletin references the old practise of using crankcase oil in the fuel. They use to sell kits that would inject a bit of your crankcase oil into the fuel system all you had to do was add oil when it got low. they use to claim you never had to change your oil just a filter at certain times.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #68

With a newer engine, built to run on ultra low sulphur diesel I would not add anything unless you are fixing a problem, like mold or gelling. That being said, both my coach and my truck are 2002. Not made to run on ULSD. I've read a 30 page report on the testing of various fuel additives, I'm looking for lubricity because that is what is lacking in the new fuel. It turns out the best lubricity additive is 2 stroke outboard oil. I've been running it in my truck for years, and in my coach too. The truck gets a 16oz. At every fill up, and the coach gets a gallon. You can hear the difference, the engine and fuel pump run quieter. No difference in power, but that is not what I was going for. The gallon jugs are around $14 and the small ones for the truck are about $3. Always available at Wally world.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #69

Yesterday I called Cummins filtration department for technical support. They told me that adding Diesel Kleen will help overall in the long run and not adding will NOT hurt.
Seichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seichi View Post
Yesterday I called Cummins filtration department for technical support. They told me that adding Diesel Kleen will help overall in the long run and not adding will NOT hurt.
So what was your take away from that information?
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel