Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvowner3 View Post
It may be a different problem, but sometimes I need to add the supplement to the tank, because the engine starts to buck. Sometimes it's after a fill up, or after the rig has sat a while between trips. Most of my driving is in Calif or Oregon during the summer. I was told the problem was because of moisture in the fuel. So I carry a couple bottles and put some in whenever I encounter the problem. I usually get it at WalMart. (The stuff stinks though and I wish I could find some paper throw away funnels that have a 90 degree goose neck, which I need to pour it into my tank, because I can continue to smell the stuff on the plastic funnel I use and which is carried in my storage bin.)
How often do you drain your fuel/water separator, obviously it should be more often. Keep your fuel tank topped off when not using your RV to reduce condensation that happens when the tank is partially filled. Only buy fuel from high-turnover stations, water in fuel is not unusual at corner stations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #44

flying j and loves sells winter diesel if your worried about it, havent had any problems here in the north running with reg diesel
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Cooperhawk posted:
"The other thing is it needs to get pretty cold for gelling to occur. Probably below 20 degrees F."

I just filled a flat container with 2.5 gallons of diesel. It has a ton of surface area so the fuel will pretty much be at ambient air temp. It got down in the teens over night and the fuel was fine. I think it needs to get closer to zero (and for an extended time) before it's a factor. This was Northern fuel so I'm sure it's treated.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #46

From a old 20 year plus truck driver in my early days
Carry two extra fuel filters, extra power serve, if it's really cold add 50% more than stated otherwise use as directed. Learn how to change your filters, remove, fill with additive, put back on, pump up line and head for warmer climates. I have restarted frozen fuel lines more than I can remember..........very common running in 10below weather. BE SURE to have a EXCELLENT fuel filter wrench that fits! Had a cheap wrench one night at 3am roadside that broke, took off my belt, wrapped around it and pulled..........worked like a charm

The life of a Truck Driver!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Companies the make fuel additives are in business for only one reason to make a profit.
Read this diesel fuel lubricity additive ISO study: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...y-results.html
When cold weather arrives at your state, diesel fuel for cold weather is already being sold there.
I've been driving diesel engine-powered vehicles for over 25 years, I've never had a fuel-gelling issue, either from leaving warm weather to cold weather, or staying home all year and having summer blend fuel in my tractors during winter.
The single-most important thing to do is keep the fuel tank as full as possible when it's not running to avoid moisture in the fuel from condensation in a partial tank of fuel

Most any company except nonprofits are in business to make a profit otherwise they won't be there. That being said the link you provided is only a study about lubricity quality of ULSD, not about anti-gelling and about cloud point suppression properties of diesel additives. The fact of the matter is everybody can choose to use what they want and that's what we do. If we are afraid that we will gel up and freeze up we can put any additive in we want and we can make a recommendation as to which ones we us. But just because companies are in business to make a profit doesn't mean you shouldn't use their product if it does what you want it to do.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #48

I do carry a bottle of Power Service Diesel Supplement 9.1.1. in case of gelled fuel. I have been carrying this bottle for the last 10 years. Never needed it. I do add as an additional measure use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement & Cetane Boost to my tank at every fill-up in the winter.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #49

I had an 2008 Ram mega cab cummings and have been in -20 and lower and never added any additive just made sure I had at least a half a tank of gas at all times and plugged in (engine heater)over night when it could get colder and never had any issues. I just traded in 2 years ago and I live in Utah and came from Colorado and never had any freezing issues. I always plug in when it gets down below 20 F
KDIVEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDIVEY View Post
I had an 2008 Ram mega cab cummings and have been in -20 and lower and never added any additive just made sure I had at least a half a tank of gas at all times and plugged in (engine heater)over night when it could get colder and never had any issues. I just traded in 2 years ago and I live in Utah and came from Colorado and never had any freezing issues. I always plug in when it gets down below 20 F
The electric heaters in the pickups have only a short fuel line and many have heaters in the filter area as well. Motor homes tend to have very long fuel lines and not all have electric fuel heat so error on the safe side. You can't compare a pickup fuel system to a DP
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Most any company except nonprofits are in business to make a profit otherwise they won't be there. That being said the link you provided is only a study about lubricity quality of ULSD, not about anti-gelling and about cloud point suppression properties of diesel additives. The fact of the matter is everybody can choose to use what they want and that's what we do. If we are afraid that we will gel up and freeze up we can put any additive in we want and we can make a recommendation as to which ones we us. But just because companies are in business to make a profit doesn't mean you shouldn't use their product if it does what you want it to do.
You are right of course. I still had a mindset from this older thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/dies...es-307353.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I do carry a bottle of Power Service Diesel Supplement 9.1.1. in case of gelled fuel. I have been carrying this bottle for the last 10 years. Never needed it. I do add as an additional measure use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement & Cetane Boost to my tank at every fill-up in the winter.
Jim...you may want to get a new bottle of 911...10 year old bottle could be stale by now.😶

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #53

Just make sure you are filling with “winter” fuel and you will be fine!
Stanley.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Refineries blend fuels to lower the cloud points and gel point temps for the areas the fuel is to be sold in. They have to run the fine line between losing too much btu content from adding too much ULSD K1 kerosene to the #2 diesel, and yet keeping people from gelling up on the side of the road in 35°F weather. That happened one spring when they switched back to summer fuels and temps got into the 20s overnight. Vehicles who didn't treat their fuels were stopped on the sides of the road for about 4 hours until it warmed up that day.

Don't be surprised that your fuel economy is reduced by 10% or more in winter since the fuel has less btu content, and the thicker viscosity of oils and greases in cooler weather, etc.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Refineries blend fuels to lower the cloud points and gel point temps for the areas the fuel is to be sold in. They have to run the fine line between losing too much btu content from adding too much ULSD K1 kerosene to the #2 diesel, and yet keeping people from gelling up on the side of the road in 35°F weather. That happened one spring when they switched back to summer fuels and temps got into the 20s overnight. Vehicles who didn't treat their fuels were stopped on the sides of the road for about 4 hours until it warmed up that day.

Don't be surprised that your fuel economy is reduced by 10% or more in winter since the fuel has less btu content, and the thicker viscosity of oils and greases in cooler weather, etc.
Just what I was thinkin'...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #56

Diesel Conditioner

If you are worried about gelling up Add the conditioner or # 1 kero.Gasoline in emergency. The cost is cheap compared to a tow. Plus you will sit in a cold unit until help comes. If you gelled how many others have also.In a pinch you can drop filter and punch a hole from small hole to center of filter. Not good for injectors but you can get to a safe place.No one else said anything about wind chill. Stick your hand out window doing 55 MPH at 30 degrees temp now you know how your fuel line feel. Also if your rv costs xxxxxx amount you should be able to spring for conditioner
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel