RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #57

The lessons I learned in Diesel land. Have a Berkshire 40 ft Diesel pusher 360 hp ISB motor. Headed south from Michigan to Arizona, we dropped south immediately (in January). Wintery weather (20'sF), with Michigan fuel I felt confident. All good for 2 days into Dallas TX and low 30's. Mistake #1, when cold all states put additive in their fuel. "It never gets cold enough on the south for us to put additives in" was the response from a Pilot store in Texas. I filled up the night before was mistake #2. With 100 gallons of fuel, I spent the night (fuel up in the morning with diesel stored in the ground at 50f+ temp.) just west of Dallas and headed out at 0630 with the temperature in the mid 20's. #3 mistake was not putting additive in with my fill up (Power service anti gel $20/gallon), trusting that "it doesn't get that cold in the south". Surging and loss of power ensued within an hour of leaving. The diesel shop had many truckers there as well with the same ignorance of "fuel doesn't gel in the south" as myself. Changed filters ($100) and I added 911 rescue (works like magic if your motor is still running) and it was all good. Education completed and I carry a gallon of each (anti gel and 911 rescue) always!! If the temp hits 30f while driving, I add the antigen and drive on confidently!!!

gregkono is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Please, whatever you do, never- never- never add gasoline to diesel fuel!!!! Especially gasoline with ethanol! Recipe for disaster, and a quick trip to the shop for fuel injection system repairs/replacement.

GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Please, whatever you do, never- never- never add gasoline to diesel fuel!!!! Especially gasoline with ethanol! Recipe for disaster, and a quick trip to the shop for fuel injection system repairs/replacement.
We certainly did this for years and no ethanol for darn sure, and never had any issues on quite a number of different diesel engines. I don't recommend it now and there is no reason when you are prepared for travel. This was something that was done on the farms and ranches with bulk tanks that had fuel already delivered before the switch was made to winter fuel. Best bet is to buy treated fuel and if in doubt add a quality product. It was just a way to treat hundreds or thousands of gallons of fuel easily and cost effectively. Same if you had #1 fuel on hand that you could pump and blend into the #2 tank.

Sure didn't want anyone to try that now. There are many cases of folks pumping DEF into the fuel tanks and creating major issues out there and then wanting the warranty to cover it. Would be similar to that if you misjudged the quantity or left the pump running.

Going to have to be careful sharing anecdotal past experiences.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #60

By the way Diesel Fuel don't freeze as the OP stated. The paraffin just comes out of solution and gels which can is reversed by heat, however it takes quite awhile.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #61

Wind chill doesn’t really make a difference to your vehicle. I was curious about that myself and did a little research a while back. The wind will make it cool faster, but 20 degrees is still 20 degrees. Wind chill is how it feels to your skin as the wind draws the heat away faster.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Additivesatio

I have had multiple diesel trucks in my 45 years of driving. Lately the Duramax and the 7.3 PowerStroke have been the latest. I live in Michigan and have been an avid snowmobiler for many of the 45 years. With that said, I have only had gelling one time and it was a pain in the butt. I have used the 911 additive in all of my trucks, and now in my recent "new to me" 2003 National with the ISB 300 Cummins. I buy it in the summer when it is on sale, normally a case and use it religiously. I have never had a problem and I will swear by it.
Just my thoughts.

Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel