Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Although the engine is an important part of this question no one has mentioned the chassis. With a diesel you get air brakes, air ride and a true HD suspension. Depending on the length of your unit a diesel powered rig will have less handling problems.
Just wanted to point out that while this is perhaps the case with the newer models (not sure?)... our old endeavor is on an oshkosh chassis with hydraulic assist hydraulic brakes... no air anything... but still a diesel. Pretty simple setup actually.

cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What is ISB? I notice a lot of acronyms in these posts? A whole new language.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is ISB? I notice a lot of acronyms in these posts? A whole new language.
ISB is a Cummins Engine:

Here is their current engine line up:

http://cumminsengines.com/showcase.aspx?Categories=100
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I understand your concern about resale, I think your satisfaction with your coach is much more important. I've run diesel and gas and will (generally) choose diesel. The primary reason is torque (I run the mountains when I can) and a secondary reason is mileage (apples to apples diesel will generally give a better MPG, if only marginally so).

I know that if I were in the market for a used coach I'd be more interested in a high mileage diesel than an equivalent gas. While systems will expire, the core of the diesel will likely last longer than a gas engine.

Still, I'd pick the coach I (and DW) would be most comfortable with day-to-day. You've got to live with it, right?
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #19

There is a lot of ford v10s with 200k on them it's a strong engine
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971
The Cummins ISB has a B50 life of 350,000 miles. A B50 life is a statistical estimate suggesting that 50% of them would need an overhaul at 350,000 miles.

The I and S indicate - Interact System and describes the electronic controls system introduced to the Cummins engine in 1998, when the mechanical 5.9 L 12-valve was replaced with the computer controlled 24-valve ISB. The B in ISB signifies that the engine is part of Cummins "B-series" line up.

But Steve O's link lays em all out.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
There probably are some pickup trucks with the ford v10 with 200k but I think it be highly unlikely a motorhome gasser to last that long. I know the one I had was worked way too hard to get any kind of lifespan like that. Not saying its a bad motor, just a gas engine is rode hard when it is under extreme duty every mile of its life.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #22

There are few short Class A's with hydraulic brakes. I doubt they are even 1% of the market. Alpine used air over hydraulic brakes. Not a good choice. Look at what happened when Workhorse had all those problems with hydraulic Bendix brakes. There is no real savings when it comes to fuel costs. Diesel is getting more expensive while Gasoline was dropping. In Canada there is about $1.00 premium on diesel. More like 75 cents in the USA. There is talk of a 15 cent tax on diesel fuel.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Diesels will still make up the difference in fuel cost if you compare apples to apples. You can not because they don't match up in GVWR and GCWR.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy a brand new gas withe floorplan you like for $140000 and use it for 10 years and take the other $140000 and then invest it. Then after the 10 years trade it in and get another brand new gas with all the newest stuff, paint, tires, systems, carpet, and warranty.
You may change your lifestyle, the majority of the people do. Most motorhomes on craigslist have arout 35000 miles.
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #25

We all like diesels who wouldn't they are awesome but when I was looking the same floor plan was 60000 more I can put a lot of gas in for the diff
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971
We all like diesels who wouldn't they are awesome but when I was looking the same floor plan was 60000 more I can put a lot of gas in for the diff
Ya know ya could have bought a lightly used DP - made up the Diesel price premium on the new one you were looking at with the depreciation you now have on the one you bought. But no.. You had to have new. New I tell ya...

Nice looking rig! Enjoy the heck out of it. And - welcome to iRV2!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #27

Thanks I would have got a used diesel very hard to find a bunk model
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
i know it's a topic of most newbies and I understand some of the considerations. The one consideration important to me that I have not seen addressed is resale. I worry about getting or putting upwards of 100,000 miles or more on a gas MH then having trouble selling it?
First of all, the chassis, ride and durability of the DP are much better than a gasser. Buying a coach with the thought of reselling is probably not a priority thought.

If you are just getting into this great way to see this great land, I recommend that you consider the following and in this order: How much can you afford?; Go for a DP. I preference Freightliner, Cummins and Allison.; Pick your favorite floor plans; Choose your essentials (ie, residential refrigerator, auto start generator, dishwasher, stacked washer and dryer...); Consider used over new; Consider manufactures trouble track record.

Some manufactures have a better reputation for quality builds than others. Tiffin, for example, has a great customer relations. The problem is many new buyers have to use it more often than not. This is what I get from this forum. Winnebago products are very nice and the factory service center is great. Quality control has been declining over the past few years and that is a problem for new buyers as well as used buying. My coach is all that we could hope for in our life style. We just got it this past May. I am correcting quality control issues that the previous owner ignored.

All coaches are bound to have problems. Buy with this knowledge in hand you can be prepared to look for them before you close 'the deal'. Most everything is repairable. Abuse is another story and not worth buying into.

There are many great deals out there and 'your' heart's desire can be found for a reasonable price. Go for a drive in a DB and a gasser of the same size and features. I am certain you will choose the DP. If you are not to full time, basement compartments on the slides will work fine if you don't load them with much weight. If you need storage room for heaver stuff I recommend going for the bus style basement.

Happy hunting, Happy trails and Happy New Year.
Rick

PS: Maintenance on DP's is not near as bad as rumored.