Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Diesel Particulate Filter

When we left Oakhurst, CA for Fresno on the start of the very first and only climb my DPF light went on (first time I have ever seen) and I immediately pulled over and called Tiffin. They said I should go to Cummins, which I was on my way to have my coolant leak fixed. The light stayed on most of the way going off and on. Within 10 miles of my destination the light went out and did not come back on.

Took it to Cummins and they repaired the coolant leak by replacing a bad hose. As to the DPF they removed and attempted to clean and were not able. We are scheduled to have the filter replaced next week. They ran a number of tests to determine why the DPF was not functioning properly and so far the only thing mentioned was too much idling. This past year I have significantly reduced my idling. They tried to find a switch for manual regeneration and found none. They also said I should come in to Cummins and have them run a regeneration every couple of months.
I only have 85,000 miles and they said the DPF should last 150 to 200,000 miles. We drive typically 200 to 350 miles at a stretch and rest at least one day or more before another driving day.

Now for my questions:

1. Has anyone else had their DPF replaced? Why? About how much did it cost?

2. Does anyone go into Cummins or someone else to have the system regenerated on a regular basis? How often? About how much? Who besides Cummins do you go?

3. Is there a manual regeneration switch on my coach? Can you get one installed?
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a Freightliner chassis I would call their tech support line. If you have another brand call them. At camp Freightliner they showed us where the manual regeneration jumper is. It should be right next to the data connector near the left side of the steering column. It is a grounded jumper that you unplug to start the process. I can't remember the exact process but your chassis manufacturer should be able to tell you.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW, we thought we were going to need a new DPF but didn't. Price quoted by Cummins for new was about $2,600.

Your coach should do auto regens periodically while driving. Do you never get the 'hot exhaust' light on the dash?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins has the QuickServe online resource. If you have not already created an account the site is here:

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

After the account is created you enter your engine(s) Serial Numbers. Yep, enter the generator if you have a Cummins/Onan. Doesn't matter if the gen is gas or diesel.

However, as stated above, it is the body builder who installs the regen switch, or shorting plug or who knows what else way to perform a 'manual' regeneration.

The Freightliner instructions may be found on the DTNA website. Yes, you create another password protected account here.

Cummins states, for my engine, when the DPF warning light comes on to "exercise the engine by driving at highway speeds...."

Freightliner says, operating at reduced engine load allows soot to build up.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DPF was replaced during the top end rebuild. No rebuilts were available through Cummins and the cost was $3,500 for my ISX.
I do have a switch on the dash to do a manual regen if needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 2010 I believe the regeneration is automatic. Mine is a 14 ISL9. Freightliner book says no idling greater than 10 min. I try to drive over 40 mph with minimal throttle to reduce emissions and increase MPG. Consistant 9 MPG with 35k lbs including toad, 55-60 mph. I get very few regenerations.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
After 2010 I believe the regeneration is automatic. Mine is a 14 ISL9. Freightliner book says no idling greater than 10 min. I try to drive over 40 mph with minimal throttle to reduce emissions and increase MPG. Consistant 9 MPG with 35k lbs including toad, 55-60 mph. I get very few regenerations.
My 2007 ISL 425 does automatic regens.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
YC1

My 2008 had to have the DPF replaced at 35K miles. It had done regenerations previously many times. We were in Maine and far from a service center. We made it within 12 miles and then it went into the limp mode. It had to be towed.

Down three days and 5K in repairs. The tow was covered by coach next. The extended warranty did not cover a dime.

They did multiple ECM updates. They said I had high idle time too. This is a real issue for companies idling vehicles. I met one owner while getting mine serviced. He had replaced three already. High idling time versus road time is easy to accumulate. Just do some math. This is the epa getting ahead of the technology. Based on the dumpster full of the filters it is probably a good money maker.

I believe they may have reduced my power when they changed the ecm settings too. It does not have quite the umph it used to have and the mileage dropped a bit.

There is not likely a manual regeneration button on yours. When you see the regen light come on run it as hard as possible. Get it hot. I was in twisting hills and could not get into it when mine started to act up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

Yellow means keep going!
When the exhaust yellow hi temp comes on while driving, the regeneration has started. By maintaining highway speed, it is over in about 20 minutes or so. 70K miles, no DPF clean or replace yet.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My DPF was replaced during the top end rebuild. No rebuilts were available through Cummins and the cost was $3,500 for my ISX.
I do have a switch on the dash to do a manual regen if needed.
Forgot: mine does the auto regen if needed but ALSO has a dash switch to do it manually if needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #11

If idle time is an issue ,the ECM can be programed to shut the engine off after so many minutes of idle time. Lots of trucking companies have this set to 5 minutes or less, In most states it is now illegal to Idle truck engines ,which you have. Unless it its a Certified Clean Idle engine. which I have never seen in a DP
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

Ok you Cummins drivers, I have a 2006 300 hp Cat and have never heard of a DPF. Do I not have one? Or have I been missing something ?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't have one.
They started in 08 coaches, and mabe a few late build 07's.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You don't have one.

They started in 08 coaches, and mabe a few late build 07's.

Thanks
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel