Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Disconnecting wastegate rod from wastegate

Wanting to up performance on step grades and thinking of disconnecting wastegate rod from wastegate on turbo. Have a 500 HP ISM 04 Essex and on a previous C 8.3 pickup 10 psi boost from 20 to 30 psi and alot of power and even a little MPG and wondering if I can do that with this ISM with variable pitch turbo. Getting around 30 to 32 psi on hills but sometimes it jumps up to 40 or alittle higher. When to boost goes up we get 5 or more miles increase in speed on step grades.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Wanting to up performance on step grades and thinking of disconnecting wastegate rod from wastegate on turbo. Have a 500 HP ISM 04 Essex and on a previous C 8.3 pickup 10 psi boost from 20 to 30 psi and alot of power and even a little MPG and wondering if I can do that with this ISM with variable pitch turbo. Getting around 30 to 32 psi on hills but sometimes it jumps up to 40 or alittle higher. When to boost goes up we get 5 or more miles increase in speed on step grades.
A 500HP ISM should have hoards of power? I have owned a few 8.3 cummins and were always 30Lbs boost stock? my current ISL gets 34-36 lbs stock
U can pinch off the vacum line and increase boost but you takes your chances over burning a piston
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

If your turbo is indeed variable geometry there probably is no waste gate as the VGT technology regulates turbine speed/boost instead of the waste gate. A wastegated turbo has that feature so as not to overspeed the turbo or overboost the engine. Boost pressure is directly related to cylinder pressure. Typical diesel design limitations restricts cylinder pressure (the force applied to downward piston movement at the time of fuel/air mixture detonation) to around 2300-2600 PSI. Exceeding that would apply above design limit stresses to the wrist pins, connecting rods/bearings and crankshaft main bearings. Trust me, you would be playing with fire. Besides, 500 HP (1200 ft lbs?) should quench the power thrist of just about anyone.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

The rod is what keeps my waste gate closed.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan
If your turbo is indeed variable geometry there probably is no waste gate as the VGT technology regulates turbine speed/boost instead of the waste gate. A wastegated turbo has that feature so as not to overspeed the turbo or overboost the engine. Boost pressure is directly related to cylinder pressure. Typical diesel design limitations restricts cylinder pressure (the force applied to downward piston movement at the time of fuel/air mixture detonation) to around 2300-2600 PSI. Exceeding that would apply above design limit stresses to the wrist pins, connecting rods/bearings and crankshaft main bearings. Trust me, you would be playing with fire. Besides, 500 HP (1200 ft lbs?) should quench the power thrist of just about anyone.

Dan
Dan is exactly right. When the ISM went to the CM870 ECM the fuel system included a VG turbo which has no waste gate and an EGR to meet the EPA requirements of '04.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
The rod is what keeps my waste gate closed.
it opens and closes your wastegate
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #7

I know it opens and closes. Without the rod it will just flop open with nothing to close it.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
When I had my turbo off the wastgate valve was frozen shut do to soot and lack of opening. I have no boost guage in my coach so I got it loosened up so it would work and never noticed any performance differance or anything for that matter. It might be frozen in place again as this is very common to do this the cummins garage said.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
When I had my turbo off the wastgate valve was frozen shut do to soot and lack of opening. I have no boost guage in my coach so I got it loosened up so it would work and never noticed any performance differance or anything for that matter. It might be frozen in place again as this is very common to do this the cummins garage said.
Iam not a turbo expert but i doubt your wastegate was frozen unless I guess u drove the thing at 1/2 throttle its whole life and never maxed out the turbo pressure(boost) which in my world of things would be almost impossible ? but if u did well I guess u did(drove it at 1./2 throttle its whole life)
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Iam not a turbo expert but i doubt your wastegate was frozen unless I guess u drove the thing at 1/2 throttle its whole life and never maxed out the turbo pressure(boost) which in my world of things would be almost impossible ? but if u did well I guess u did(drove it at 1./2 throttle its whole life)
No I have not run my coach at 1/2 throttle most of its life, I am usally running right down the road with it, like I stated and I don't know why I took the turbo off to do some manifold work and when cleaning up the turbo I unhooked the linkage and the wastegate valve was frozen up in place, penatrating oil and some time and I worked it loose. This is not a story, it is what happened.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
No I have not run my coach at 1/2 throttle most of its life, I am usally running right down the road with it, like I stated and I don't know why I took the turbo off to do some manifold work and when cleaning up the turbo I unhooked the linkage and the wastegate valve was frozen up in place, penatrating oil and some time and I worked it loose. This is not a story, it is what happened.
like i said it,s obviously possible its just unusuall that one could be that lite footed driving a diesel pusher.I have and do own diesel pusher and have never seen one powerfiull enough where you were,nt constantly running turbo to max and causing waste gate to open.thats all I was trying to say
its extremly unlikely
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
like i said it,s obviously possible its just unusuall that one could be that lite footed driving a diesel pusher.I have and do own diesel pusher and have never seen one powerfiull enough where you were,nt constantly running turbo to max and causing waste gate to open.thats all I was trying to say
its extremly unlikely
Are you sure it was not the Exhaust Brake that was siezed? That is pretty common.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Are you sure it was not the Exhaust Brake that was siezed? That is pretty common.
funny thing u should ask as I too wondered but Iam sure anyone that is adept enough to actually remove a turbo from a cummins would have to know the difference so i never gave a second thought till your post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
funny thing u should ask as I too wondered but Iam sure anyone that is adept enough to actually remove a turbo from a cummins would have to know the difference so i never gave a second thought till your post