Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #15

Wow! Thanks so much for the education on filters Spike. Now I need to look up what you posted on radiators.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Any bypass filtration or use of a centrifuge to remove the combustion byproducts of "gum and varnish" (slang terms for the carboxylate acids formed during combustion) will improve the life of the engine especially if taken to overhaul. BUT in the matter of RV engines and the low operational miles, I really doubt that buying a centrifuge will gain you anything. Same story for venturi. If you kept it long enough then they pay off in reduced cost of overhauls especially for valve train components which receive only splash lubrication and high point contact loads. If you are expecting to operate at extended drain intervals, then venturi makes sense as it will keep the oil in better shape as far as removing spent additives agglomerated with contaminants as listed above along with some soot removal.

As for crankcase ventilation/oil separation, hard to say why your CAT guy does not like it unless it is the matter of buying a product made by a Cummins company. I am guessing you are referring to the OCV not CCV, closed crankcase ventilation. CCV is not available for other than some Cummins engines. OCV can be put on any engine but must be sized according to new engine blowby rating. HP ratings very much affect the sizing of OCVs.
Yes OCV. I have a 1996 or 97 CAT 3126. Serial number 01WM06959. 275 Horse Power. Yes I do the extended drain intervals but as mentioned before I do replace the filter evey year as well as a yearly SOS.

I sure thank you for all of your info. I have one more CAT filter that I will be installing soon then I will give your filter a try.

One more question. My CAT filter is 1R-0739, Fleetguard give me three numbers for this filter, LF667, LF3379, and LF9667. Which one would you recommend?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #17

Don't want to hijack the thread but the talk about donaldson, fleetguard and cat filters being good a filter, but what about baldwin filters ? Thanks Jr.
JRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGN View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread but the talk about donaldson, fleetguard and cat filters being good a filter, but what about baldwin filters ? Thanks Jr.
The more we know the better it is.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #19

The LF667 is standard cellulose paper media. The LF3379 is a full synthetic full flow. LF9887 is the venturi combo of full flow and bypass. The LF3379 really only shines in that it provides lots of surface area with the Stratapore media that results in minimal bypass at cold start up. Paper filters will bypass quite a bit at cold start up. The Venturi gives bypass filtering.

How long will you keep your MH? I would expect that a MH with 100,000 miles would be unusual before the owner trades. If you do not expect to keep it that long, stay with the standard LF667 or Baldwin equivalent, or Donaldson, etc. I do not consider the LF3379 to be of much value but it is nice to know if you cannot get an LF667 that you have alternatives. Another post asked about Baldwin. The Baldwin paper is at least as good. I am not certain they have a microglass or other synthetic media. They do not have a venturi combo for Caterpillar.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Well put it this way, it is paid for. So as I long as I am still able to drive it I am keeping it. We are both getting old so I have to take care of both of us.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Well put it this way, it is paid for. So as I long as I am still able to drive it I am keeping it. We are both getting old so I have to take care of both of us.

I sure understand the getting older.

Gary
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Spike I sure have enjoyed your knowledge. Please tell us more. By the way, I contacted Fleetguard Customer Service for more information. They seem to be very caring people and don't mind stupid questions. And man I have allot of them.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #23

Spike45 Thanks so much for posting this forum. There is so little technical information about filters that everything you write is a revelation. I have been using Fleetguard LF 3970 on my 2000 ISB and I just learned from you that it is not a bypass filter. Is there a venturi type Fleetguard filter that will fit my engine? Thanks again.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
Spike45 Thanks so much for posting this forum. There is so little technical information about filters that everything you write is a revelation. I have been using Fleetguard LF 3970 on my 2000 ISB and I just learned from you that it is not a bypass filter. Is there a venturi type Fleetguard filter that will fit my engine? Thanks again.
We had developed a venturi combo filter for the ISB. The project was put on indefinite hold for undisclosed reasons.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
We had developed a venturi combo filter for the ISB. The project was put on indefinite hold for undisclosed reasons.
Thanks, but too bad about the project. The ISB has been called the throw away engine because of a number of things like the lack of cylinder linings. In spite of all of that the darn things last indefinitely. Do you know of any oil filter for the ISB that is a bypass. I definitely am not interested in installing a bypass filtration system, just a spin on. BTW most ISBs have one fuel filter instead of two which alarms the purists. Again the ISB lives for about 300,000 miles.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #26

Spike45 Some Google research turned up the LF9028 filter which is said to have been developed for the ISB among other engines. Dodge wouldn't approve it and Cummins doesn't either. Do you know if the specs for the LF9028 are right for the ISB?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #27

I am so sorry I did not see this discussion until today. Spike has provided some amazing information. I have a small fleet of city delivery vehicles as well as 2 motorhomes. One Cat powered(3208) and the other a Cummins ISL425. I was using Cat OEM filters for awhile but a few years ago I noticed that the filters had changed. The can was thinner and the assembly method had changed. I switched to Fleetguard and they are thicker as well as heavier. Also cheaper! Have now switched all our vehicles to Cummins Flitration. I would like to thank Spike for his insight
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #28

OOPS! I did a poor job of proofing my post. It should have been "LF9667"