Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Dyno for B5.9 12 valve mechanical, Texas

I am looking for a chassis dynomometer for my B5.9 Cummins. I had the head replaced and want to put on dyno for base readings of hp, torque, and blow-by. I live west of Waco, Texas. Holt Catapillar in Dallas has one, it is broke down. Cummins Southern Plains in Houston and Dallas can read hp but not torque. Waco Freightliner cannot read because they need a device for their dyno that will read rpm on this engine, which has no computer.

Any one know of where I might look to get this on a dyno?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I am looking for a chassis dynomometer for my B5.9 Cummins. I had the head replaced and want to put on dyno for base readings of hp, torque, and blow-by. I live west of Waco, Texas. Holt Catapillar in Dallas has one, it is broke down. Cummins Southern Plains in Houston and Dallas can read hp but not torque. Waco Freightliner cannot read because they need a device for their dyno that will read rpm on this engine, which has no computer.

Any one know of where I might look to get this on a dyno?

ronspradley

Sounds like the Dyno software is set to give hp only. A Dyno actually measures torque and hp is calculated from torque and rpm.

If they give you a print out of hp at certain rpm intervals then you can back into the torque figure.

HP = torque X rpm /5252

You can reverse this formula and get the torque values if you know the hp and rpm.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Well Steve, that sure makes me wonder why the guys at Southern Plains Cummins in both Houston and Dallas did not mention that when I said that I had to have torque as well as hp? Both said they could only give me hp? I will call Dallas Cummins again and see what they have to say. Thanks for this info. I am often amazed at the knowledge available here on this forum.

ronspradley
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Ron,

I'm not all that smart, I've just been reading & asking question on these forums longer than you.

Hope you get the answers you need. How ever it turns out post back & let us know. That will add to the body of knowledge.

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

Cummins Southern Plains at their new facility in Dallas ran my coach about a month ago and they gave me both hp and torque at rolling speeds of 0 to 75.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Spinn, I called them yesterday and tried to find out if they can read my old mechanical 12 valve no computer B5.9. Had to leave a message. Hopefully will find out today. What kind of read-out did you get. Is it a chart/graph showing hp/torque thru rpm range?

And you are from Houston? Why did you go to Dallas instead of their facility in Houston? From where MH stays west of Waco, Dallas is closer for me.

ronspradley
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #7

Ron, DW and I full time do were just happened to be in the Dallas area. We actually had work done in Houston, injector replaced, and on our drive to a rally i noticed or fuel mileage was lower than normal. Called the Dallas facility to he's them run diagnostics. This is the new facility of 635 (I think) between I35W and I35W.
I35E. gave me a printout that listed speed, torque, Hp I can send you a copy is you like.

Steve
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Most dynos have an optional optical tach. There is a small piece of reflective tape put on the harmonic balancer that the optical pick up is aimed at to get RPM readings.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Southern Plains Cummins Dyno

Spoke with Dallas Southern Plains Cummins and they say they can dyno my old non-computer B5.9 Cummins. Will have to wait a couple of weeks because of some physical therapy I start tomorrow. Nothing major, just trying to see if I can get some relief for lower back pain. 140 miles from where I park west of Waco. Looks like I will stay at Cedar Hill State Park. Might as well spend some time and visit big D. And nephew lives in Rhome.

And DW retires this Friday.

ronspradley
Old 02-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Hope your back feels better soon and congratulations on your wife's graduation!

We often stay at the Tres Rios park near Glen Rose. Very nice country around there
Old 02-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Both of being retired will be the start of our next phase of life. I am optimistic. Been to Dinosaur Valley State Park outside Glen Rose a couple of times. That is close to Dallas/FW and the area gets lots of visitors.

And yes Steve Pinn, please, I would like to see a copy of the dyno report you got for your MH. I will PM you my email.

ronspradley

Tags
texas