Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

EGR leaked coolant into engine

Regrettably our EGR cooler leaked coolant into the engine and locked up our engine, so we have to go through a rebuild. Today we found out that Cummins has significantly changed the EGR cooler. Originally it was a horizontal placed cooler, now it is vertical so you need to obtain modification parts in order to replace the old EGR with the new EGR. With a significant change such as from horizontal to vertical it makes me think that the original design had significant faults.

Has anyone else had their EGR replaced with the new vertical EGR?
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

What year and type engine?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #3

Cummins 425 ISL built 2007
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERRELLA View Post
Cummins 425 ISL built 2007
Having my EGR cooler replaced right now by a Cummins dealership. Also have a 425HP ISL, built on 2007.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You guys are making me nervous since I have same engine in my coach. When I bought the coach in 2013, my first oil analysis showed some potassium in the oil. Cummins dealer put Zerex stop leak in coolant and subsequent oil analysis have been fine.

The EGR cooler is suspect on these first gen clean diesels. What mileage on your engines?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

We have 94,000 miles. The issue came about as we had a coolant leak and did not get a warning. Regrettably the engine over heated and caused the EGR to malfunction and release coolant into the engine. Now have rebuilt engine.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Left my coach at Cummins today for annual service and to have frequent 'hot exhaust' messages diagnosed. I thought I would only get that message when there was an active regen but the service manager told me if could get that message if anything causes exhaust temp to exceed 500F. They will look into it.

As far as the EGR cooler, he looked into their system and found that the original owner of my coach replaced the EGR cooler in 2012. It was a new unit, not a reman. He said some last many years, some leak more often.

He said they may look into the DPF with a camera probe as part of their diagnostic procedure related to my frequent hot exhaust messages. If so, he said they can sometimes see evidence of an EGR leaking coolant into the exhaust by the color and texture of what they see inside the DPF.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I feel your pain! Our 08 ISL 425 (with 33K) had a small coolant leak in one of the EGR hoses at a sharp bend. As the coolant slowly went to 0, the remaining coolant that surged into the EGR cooler flashed to steam & cracked the EGR tubes [emoji53]
We were lucky with no engine damage & it passed a stationary regen on the DPF - whew! Bill was $3600 including $500 for the new bracket needed for the vertical EGR!
Now, a few weeks later, the other shoe has dropped....
Started it to move it about a block; built air normally, pulled into a cul-de-sac, by the time I exited the low air alarm was on!
Likely that the coolant was pulled into the compressor and gummed things up [emoji20].
Will start by rebuilding the air dryer but may need to dig into the compressor as well. Did ever think of the connection until I read an old post - this forum is priceless!
Good luck with your rebuild. Have them check out your air system as well.
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Update - after rebuilding the air dryer it was still not building air consistently. Next step was to replace the air governor... Easier said than done - mid engine above the DPF canister - sheeish!
New air governor did fix the problem [emoji3]
Old 06-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Remember if you are at a Cummins facility join the Cummins Power Club to save 10% on both parts and labor. Cost is 19.95 for one year. Suggested this to a Newmar owner who saved over 500$ on a turbo replacement.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Tom! Yes, shaved $400 off my bill! Pretty good return on my $20 investment [emoji4]... wish the rest of the investments went so well!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Left my coach at Cummins today for annual service and to have frequent 'hot exhaust' messages diagnosed. I thought I would only get that message when there was an active regen but the service manager told me if could get that message if anything causes exhaust temp to exceed 500F. They will look into it.
Where is the exhaust "temp probe" located - in the exhaust manifold (before turbo) or in the exhaust pipe (after turbo)?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #13

Just got our oil report back and showing coolant in the oil, I suspect the EGR cooler is leaking, but will need to confirm. 62000 miles, runs good but need to get this repaired.
Can anyone recommend a diesel shop in OR? We are in Newport, not stranded and willing to travel a bit. Maybe a new cooler or EGR delete?
2009 ISM 500HP
Old 07-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #14

Cannot recommend a shop in your area, but I will only use a Cummins Service Center for major repairs (learned this the hard way, trying to save a few bucks). Cummins in El Cajon did my EGR cooler replacement. When they were done everything was reassembled clean, and more important correct.

Make sure and join the Cummins Power Club, it will save you money.

2008 ISL, 425hp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leak